AKC or a clone?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Peiper

Re: AKC or a clone?

Post by Peiper »

What are your thoughts about this one? I don't remember the exact year when I purchased it, but it was many years ago. My second Switchblade. 13"
Attachments
IMG_4898.jpg
IMG_4898.jpg (163.82 KiB) Viewed 2769 times
IMG_4899.jpg
IMG_4899.jpg (170.82 KiB) Viewed 2769 times
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Since it's 13", how can it be AKC?

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

There is a thread somewhere on TB that shows a real AKC logo next to a fake one. There is some sllght but noticeable difference. I looked for that thread but couldn't find it. Does anyone know where it is?
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

JimBrown257 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:23 am There is a thread somewhere on TB that shows a real AKC logo next to a fake one. There is some sllght but noticeable difference. I looked for that thread but couldn't find it. Does anyone know where it is?
I'm pretty sure Terry posted it earlier in this thread. But, regardless if the Chinese companies can reproduce the etch exactly or not, AKC NEVER made a stiletto.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Peiper wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:09 am What are your thoughts about this one? I don't remember the exact year when I purchased it, but it was many years ago. My second Switchblade. 13"
That's the good AKC stamp.
2024 candidate for president
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

But, regardless if the Chinese companies can reproduce the etch exactly or not, AKC NEVER made a stiletto.
There is a 13" stiletto for sale at 3knives.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

JimBrown257 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:23 am There is a thread somewhere on TB that shows a real AKC logo next to a fake one. There is some sllght but noticeable difference. I looked for that thread but couldn't find it. Does anyone know where it is?
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Peiper wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:37 am

There is a 13" stiletto for sale at 3knives.
There is one offered. Let's take a look..."Made In Italy FOR AKC" and stamped MADE IN (over) ITALY (No AKC etch)...Listed as Switchblade Knife Makers (SKM)

...Why Angelo says AKC, I have no idea.

Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

JulesVane wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:58 am The question of AKC producing a classic style stiletto switchblade comes up so often, I had to go to the source. This is part of that short conversation on the subject with Angelo. AKC never made a stiletto of the classic/traditional style. When AKC started in roughly 2001, Angelo bought less than 500 blank tang pieces from Renzo Beltrame and etched them AKC. So, even to find a "legit" piece from that less than 500, it would have been produced by Renzo Beltrame.

This is fascinating! Thanks for this most valuable information, Chris!

The fact that there are just 500 real AKC stilettos out there, and that they're originally Renzo Beltrames would put them in an extremely rare class... unfortunately from the pictures shared here, I can't reliably tell the difference between real and fake AKC. I'm almost surprised that the chinese companies ran with that stamp out of all the others.

Re: the 13 inch marked AKC - let's remember that Renzo Beltrame is (apparently) the only one with the tooling to create blades the the 13 inch "standard" stilettos - I've yet to see an Asian copy of that size, and would therefore put my money on that one being real.
Knee-deep in the hoopla...
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

The one thing I have noticed hanging around for a few years- The answers you get from the Italian makers depends on the day you ask the question and who asks it. They either can't really remember things, or they don't give a shit. A little of both I suspect...lol

It ain't no wonder there is so much "mystery"behind about everything to do with Italian knives.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

All I know is those pictures I believe came from Angelo. What do I believe? Refer to my previous post...lol

I can post a picture of my 13" that looks exactly like the one that started this thread. Even before I found out it was fake I had my suspicions. And when Angelo said the stamp was fake I believed him...Plus I believe Bill D has seen enough to tell- even by a picture.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Regardless, the 13 pictured by Peiper is Italian.
The folding guard knives are being counterfeited. I believe the 2 pictured are Italian.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Just to be clear. The 13" fakes I was referring to are tanto's pic in the first post and the one I own myself.
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Regardless, the 13 pictured by Peiper is Italian.
Thank you for confirming Bill.
button_man

Post by button_man »

JulesVane wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:58 am AKC never made a stiletto of the classic/traditional style.

When AKC started in roughly 2001, Angelo bought less than 500 blank tang pieces from Renzo Beltrame and etched them AKC.

So if I understand correctly, none of those original 500 were stilettos....? They were all leverlocks?