11 inch Frank B knives

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
leighdog

11 inch Frank B knives

Post by leighdog »

I have two Frank B stillettos that are the 11 inch ones and when i try to fire them they dont want to open. I have to push the button really hard to get it to fire. Anyone have an idea what the problem is? I oiled them and it didnt help.
john

Re: 11 inch Frank B knives

Post by john »

Could be one or several or a combination of issues.
Twisted button mechanism, sear pin jammed very tightly against the liner, liner issues bent, button hole is swollen, extreme pressure from the spring could cause the button to get stuck.
Try pushing the blade deeper into the channel. Does the button go down?
When the knife fires fully does it lock up into the lock tab or hang up?
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
leighdog

Post by leighdog »

Thanks for the reply, I will give your suggestions a try asap and post the results.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Clean the oil out of the sear hole, and put a dab of grease in the hole.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
leighdog

Post by leighdog »

I will order some grease today and try it.
button_man

Post by button_man »

I recently bought a Piranha 'Virus' and after about 3 weeks, the knife suddenly froze in the open position. The button seemed welded in place and would not budge. Finally I put massive pressure on it and it suddenly pressed down, and started working again normally. On the advice of a Knife Guy for whom I have great respect, I no longer use oils or greases on knives.... he advised me to use a lanolin-based substance called FluidFilm (usually available in spray cans at auto-parts stores). I hosed the button area thoroughly and the knife seems normal again.... at least for now.

Thumbnail review: I like this knife a lot. I really wish Piranha would use thicker stock for blades.... their knives (that I have handled so far) seem to have very thin blades. However, it's not really an issue for the Virus because it's a fairly small knife and the blade thickness is reasonably proportionate. And because the knife is small, it's very concealable. This will never be a Buck 110; nor does it pretend to be. But the thin blade allows you to hone it to razor sharpness; and then you have a folding scalpel in your pocket. (The blade on my Virus already came with a wicked needle point.) It's a good little knife to carry when you don't need to carry a knife. I usually slip mine into my bathrobe pocket when I trudge down the driveway to get the morning paper. You can't even feel the weight.... and it's comforting to have; because, well, you never know. Besides, it looks hotter than a three-dollar pistol.

SPECS: 7 3/8" OAL / 3.25" blade / 2 oz. / anodized aluminum handles / CPM-S30V blade steel / $130
Attachments
Piranha_VIRUS__open_O_c.jpg
Piranha_VIRUS__open_O_c.jpg (62.86 KiB) Viewed 1447 times
leighdog

Post by leighdog »

Thanks for the reply, I will look for it if it will help. Nice knife by the way'
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

I've found that the Latama lubricating oil sort of gums up but never had it seize up a button before-thats pretty bizarre. Victorinox tool oil is my go-to.
Knee-deep in the hoopla...
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I recently bought a Piranha 'Virus'
I must really be out of the new knife loop because I have never seen this Piranha. I like the looks.

I use Fluid Film quite often for corrosion protection but not for lube. I doubt any lubricant seized up the knife. There is probably a burr somewhere from the machining process.