Info on knife help please.

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
MAUSER88

Info on knife help please.

Post by MAUSER88 »

So I have a chance to buy this knife from a friend. INOX in a diamond is stamped on the blade. No other markings are present. Thick stag grips look to have very nice age and in perfect condition. Blade does not to look to have been sharpened and is bright and shiny. Blade has no wobble and opens fast while sitting deeply in the closed position. No real negatives that I can see.

Any idea of the time frame when it was made? What would be a fair price?

Thanks in advance and any other information would be most helpful.

Chris51P

Re: Info on knife help please.

Post by Chris51P »

MAUSER88 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:10 pm So I have a chance to buy this knife from a friend. INOX in a diamond is stamped on the blade. No other markings are present. Thick stag grips look to have very nice age and in perfect condition. Blade does not to look to have been sharpened and is bright and shiny. Blade has no wobble and opens fast while sitting deeply in the closed position. No real negatives that I can see.

Any idea of the time frame when it was made? What would be a fair price?

Thanks in advance and any other information would be most helpful.

I’m not an expert by any means but if I had to take a guess, I’d say it is a transitional from the 60’s. Looks to be a good opportunity.
MAUSER88

Post by MAUSER88 »

Any idea on value?
fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

Excellent pictures. What is the open length?
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

The button and safety seem placed pretty high and I'm not sure if the "ears"/guards are brass lined. Any idea if the liner is "D" stamped?

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
rithvich

Post by rithvich »

Nice knife. It's from the late 70's to early 80's in my opinion. Not a very popular time frame for collectors but a cool era for knives. It was a tough time to be buying switchblades in and you really don't see a lot from this period.
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

rithvich wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:47 am Nice knife. It's from the late 70's to early 80's in my opinion. Not a very popular time frame for collectors but a cool era for knives. It was a tough time to be buying switchblades in and you really don't see a lot from this period.
I think it is from the late-60s to late-70s era because the tang stamp is crisper than the stilettos I remember from the 1980s. You're right about them being harder to find then. I became interested in switchblades in 1980 when my best friend showed me his dad's which I now know was a Japanese picklock. Although I did find an American switchblade and a mini Japanese picklock in the early 80s, it took me five years to find an Italian stiletto, and I didn't know they were called that then because OTF knives were called "stilettos."
rithvich

Post by rithvich »

Good to see you Panzefaust!! My first thought from the stamp and blade was late 60's then the more I looked at the knife...the shaved stag, folded safety, long cut safety. Basically looking at the handle makes me think a bit newer
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

It's functionally the same as current Italian stilettos.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
MAUSER88

Post by MAUSER88 »

fastr19 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:06 pm Excellent pictures. What is the open length?
Knife measures 11" OAL.
MAUSER88

Post by MAUSER88 »

JulesVane wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:43 am The button and safety seem placed pretty high and I'm not sure if the "ears"/guards are brass lined. Any idea if the liner is "D" stamped?
Guards are not brass lined and I don't see and "D" in the liner.
MAUSER88

Post by MAUSER88 »

Any idea on current value or Mfg?
Last edited by MAUSER88 on Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
button_man

Post by button_man »

IMHO, the desirability of the ricasso stamp is probably modest, because it does not identify a particular maker or distributor. And while this is just my own personal reaction, I find the appearance unattractive because almost all of the surface has been shaved off the staghorn on the obverse. I like a lot of "popcorn" on my stag scales, and the attached photo shows approximately what I consider an acceptable level for pieces that I acquire for my own collection. The scale on your knife is shaved so extremely that I would consider getting it re-scaled..... YMMV. I don't mean to throw a bucket of cold water on your knife here, but eye appeal really is a big part of a desirable knife.
Attachments
2019_07_07__11_stag__c.jpg
2019_07_07__11_stag__c.jpg (57.43 KiB) Viewed 2553 times