Comparing Similar Picklocks

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Quaero

Comparing Similar Picklocks

Post by Quaero »

In viewing the many wonderful small picklock models from boombotz and others, it caused me to take a second look at a few small models of mine.
Here are two that I found to be quite curious. While they are similar in appearance, they are actually very different.

First the size, one is 11.8 cm and marked "Red Rose" over "Made Italy. The other is 12.2 cm and marked "Inter Italy". And while they are basically the same size with nearly the same grey and black horn handles, almost everything else is quite different. The bayonet blade shapes are also nearly the same, but the "Inter" has a wider and just slightly longer blade. The top and bottom bolsters are also similar in shape, but different in proportions. The Inter has noticeably larger bolsters on both top and bottom. The "Inter" also has a slightly larger firing button and safety than the "Red Rose", and has a steel blade pin as apposed to a brass one on the "Red Rose".

I just find it interesting that two very similar looking 12 cm (give or take) picklock models can have so many subtle differences between them.
Attachments
Maniago 12 cm Pair Front (1400x756).jpg
Maniago 12 cm Pair Front (1400x756).jpg (285.91 KiB) Viewed 2428 times
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Re: Comparing Similar Picklocks

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

very nice Neal, I have never seen a red rose stamp in person,both are very cool.
boblees812

Post by boblees812 »

Wow. Red Rose doesn't get any rarer then that, l only seen one other. Maybe he might post his. Just outstanding pair Neal !!
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Absolutely gorgeous! Very rare stamps in really unique sizes. I'm reminded that there are so many stamps that are likely just a dream to ever actually find out there. Especially in such great condition.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
thom

Post by thom »

Very nice, beautiful horn. Thanks again for sharing
Thom
boombotz111

Post by boombotz111 »

Neal love them both, can I have them :D In all seriousness I do love the subtle differences when you compare and put two similar knives together, it’s more prominent with flat- guards as they were all made a little bit different except for the ones that were stamped like Latama which are pretty much all the same (with the exception of the horn of course) but the unstamped Flatguard goes from crude to out and out beautiful and the crude one’s are beautiful as well. That being said just put those two gems in the mail you know my address :P
Chris51P

Post by Chris51P »

Both r quite nice... outstanding. It’s a great comparison that shows just how unique the different makers approached cutlery design. The Red Rose looks as though it has a real sharpened blade edge. Most of the knives that I have can’t cut string.
rithvich

Post by rithvich »

One of the best joys of the hobby comparing knives like this. Definitely a different set of tooling used so probably a different cutler
fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

I'd love to have either one of those stamps.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Both are uncommon, beautiful knives. What I wonder is given their similarities and differences, and given the Maniago cottage industry, what is the probability that final assembly occurred in the same shop?

Jim
Quaero

Post by Quaero »

Thanks all, and it's interesting how we study every detail in such similar things.
HLangston

Post by HLangston »

I've wondered the same thing (differences) with my 16cm collection.

I have a B,Svoboda, a B,Svoboda Ring Cutlery, a BV&F and a Mauro Mario that have "normal", customary proportions for 16cm picklocks.

Then I have two B.Svodody knives and an identical Rosco that have slightly wider bodies (liners/scales) and wider blades, plus larger bolsters that are the same size as those found on 18cm picklocks.

This always confused me because I've understood that Mauro Mario made Rosco-stamped knives in-house. So why would they have two different sized stamps and dies for the same length knives?
Herb