Tang Stamps

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
button_man

Re: Tang Stamps

Post by button_man »

What a great angle for collecting knives at zero cost.....!
I shoulda got into the do-gooder racket!
Billyfish

Post by Billyfish »

Dunno 'bout that; he'd been shot at a few times during his tenure, and he always carried a snubby whether at work or not.
button_man

Post by button_man »

While watching "A Christmas Story" last night, I watched closely as Ralphie's teacher collected the plastic fake teeth from the kids in her class and dumped them in her desk drawer with all the other confiscated toys..... I would have loved to see a Rizzuto in there, but no such luck.....
Quaero

Post by Quaero »

Here are two paragraphs from an article I wrote several years ago on EIG which should help with the dating of the original posted knife.

There were several mail order companies which sold imported knives among other things and a few of the larger firms were “J. D. Clinton”, “Gutman Cutlery Co.” (G.C.C.), and “George Rose and Co.” (ROSCO). All of these companies sold switchblades, but few could match the wide selection of automatic knives as “EIG”. While “EIG” sounds like an acronym, it’s actually the last name of the company’s founder, Saul Eig, who resided in Florida with his wife Lois. Saul registered “The Eig Corp.” on Dec. 27th 1956 in the state of Florida, but the company and catalogs existed at least two years earlier. The company had three officers who were “E.H. Hill Jr.”, M.E. Curry”, and J.O. Fredlund” and were most likely partners in the company. The main focus of “EIG Corp.” in the beginning was the importation of cheaply made firearms from Italy and Germany, but knives and related sporting items were also sold. EIG later went on to actually manufacture and sell cheaply made guns but that was short lived.

By the mid 1950s, switchblade sales were in high gear in the US and many retailers including EIG were onboard that bandwagon. EIG sold most all available automatic knives from Italy including lever lock and stiletto types with bayonet, flat grind, and kris blade models in all sizes. They also sold German and Japanese lever lock models as well as German “out the front” variations. In addition, they stocked a large selection of fixed blade and non automatic folding knives. EIG sold switchblades right up until the US federal ban in 1958 when they as everyone else discontinued the sales of automatic knives. They did however continue to sell manual folding stilettos with “dummy” push buttons for a short time as well as a diverse group of other knives and guns.
Billyfish

Post by Billyfish »

Thank you for the details. Quaero, much appreciated. :)
I think I'll make him an offer to buy both the Eig and the Shur-Snap. The first time he showed them to me he offered to just give them to me.

It would be nice to have a pre-ban knife in my small collection. 8)