Tang Stamps

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Billyfish

Tang Stamps

Post by Billyfish »

Can one (or more) of you well versed collectors share your knowledge on these two tang stamps please ? I've heard of Shur Snap, but EIG is a new one for me. If you could possibly date them approximately I'd love to know. They belong to a friend who is a retired psychologist for troubled kids in the Agawam Ma. school system; confiscated from a couple of his troubled charges.
Thanks very much!
Attachments
tangstamp1.jpg
tangstamp1.jpg (91.03 KiB) Viewed 2842 times
tangstamps.jpg
tangstamps.jpg (112.76 KiB) Viewed 2842 times
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Tang Stamps

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Saul Eig ran an import business in Florida. He imported Italian stilettos, German lever locks, pistols., and other stuff.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

The Shursnap was made by the Colonial knife company, who are still in business. You probably knew that, but half the bottom stamp is always obscured by the seer divot (or whatever it's called).

Seems like you can get a general date of manufacture by the size of the shursnap stamp but I don't remember for sure. I think it is in the Antique American Switchblade book.
Chris51P

Post by Chris51P »

Would love to see the knives these stamps belong to.
texans123

Post by texans123 »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:01 am Saul Eig ran an import business in Florida. He imported Italian stilettos, German lever locks, pistols., and other stuff.
Bill - thanks for the information. I have an EIG Model E15 .22lr single-action pistol. I never thought of relationship to EIG blades. :D
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

texans123 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:25 am
Bill DeShivs wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:01 am Saul Eig ran an import business in Florida. He imported Italian stilettos, German lever locks, pistols., and other stuff.
Bill - thanks for the information. I have an EIG Model E15 .22lr single-action pistol. I never thought of relationship to EIG blades. :D
A little info on the firearm story...
https://www.fieldandstream.com/EIG-Derringer/
texans123

Post by texans123 »

whippersnapper wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:29 am
texans123 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:25 am
A little info on the firearm story...
https://www.fieldandstream.com/EIG-Derringer/
Thanks!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

There is much wrong in that article. Eig wasn't selling guns in 1940-especially in Germany.
After GCA '68, you couldn't just import parts and assemble guns. The FRAMES of those guns had to be made in the USA.
While many of Eig's guns were of the cheaper variety, some were actually very good. I have an Italian Eig clone of a S&W chief Special. 38 that is all steel and really nice.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I'm sure Bill is right. The article was just what came up when I "Googled".
Billyfish

Post by Billyfish »

I'll try to talk him into letting me take them home so I can do 'portraits' of them both for you.
Thanks to all. :)
Billyfish

Post by Billyfish »

Chris51P wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:16 am Would love to see the knives these stamps belong to.
As requested.
The EIG is an 11 inch picklock w/horn scales and two piece spring. A drop or two of Hoppe's gun oil got it loosed up enough to fire fairly quickly. The horn seems in pretty good shape; the blade has some side to side wiggle and a bit of up and down movement . The shur- snap is a basket case as you can see. Comments are welcomed.
Attachments
DSCF0459.JPG
DSCF0459.JPG (297.17 KiB) Viewed 2731 times
DSCF0460.JPG
DSCF0460.JPG (129.14 KiB) Viewed 2731 times
DSCF0458.JPG
DSCF0458.JPG (258.08 KiB) Viewed 2731 times
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

The Eig aint bad. The shursnap fishtails weren't the greatest to begin with but I still like them.
Chris51P

Post by Chris51P »

Thanks for posting Billyfish. I always enjoy seeing vintage knives.
Billyfish

Post by Billyfish »

You're welcome!
I wonder if the EIG could be called transitional as it's quite slim.
Any ideas on dating the EIG?
Also is polish and restoration a good idea with vintage stilettos or is it a no-no and will affect the value in a negative way?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The Eig is a pre-1958 pick lock.