A Rare Pair

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Quaero

A Rare Pair

Post by Quaero »

Here are a couple of Pre WWII knives that are seldom seen. While they are quite similar and both made by Weltersbach, one is a manual folder, and one is a lever action automatic. These two models are unique and interesting on many levels. First, they are all steel construction with genuine stag inlays pinned to the handles (backside only on the lever model). These knives also have a combination of pin and screw construction. Another common and clever trait found on both knives is the retractable pliers type shell extractors on the back end of the handles. A small sliding pin (similar to a sliding safety) pushes back and forth to extend or retract the tool which also has a small leaf spring as found on folding scissors included on some knives.

The manual knife is a single blade lock-back model, while the lever action knife is a multi-blade camper type model with a folding corkscrew, an old style can opener, and bottle opener/screwdriver. The "Weidmannsheil" blade stamp was a trademark of "Wilh. Weltersbach" and roughly translates to "Good Hunting". These are extremely well made knives which must have been expensive in their day.

Enclosed are pictures of the knives, a close up of the shell puller, and an ad from the 1930s.
Attachments
German Weidmannsheil Pair (1200x584).jpg
German Weidmannsheil Pair (1200x584).jpg (245.12 KiB) Viewed 2540 times
German Weltersbach Sliding Puller (800x659).jpg
German Weltersbach Sliding Puller (800x659).jpg (205.92 KiB) Viewed 2540 times
Weltersbach ad sml.jpg
Weltersbach ad sml.jpg (209.41 KiB) Viewed 2540 times
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: A Rare Pair

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Great pair! I believe there was an Italian copy of the lever auto. Seems like I worked on one.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Quaero

Post by Quaero »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:25 am Great pair! I believe there was an Italian copy of the lever auto. Seems like I worked on one.
Thanks, and yes there was, at least as a manual folder. Here it is on top.
Not bad for an Italian copy, but certainly not the same quality as the German Weltersbach models.
Attachments
German Weidmannsheil Italian Extra (1600x775).jpg
German Weidmannsheil Italian Extra (1600x775).jpg (384.72 KiB) Viewed 2535 times
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Wow! Really great looking rare knives! I love the stag inlay. So, one would slide the puller out and grab the shell with the spring tensioned "tweezer type" tool? That IS a great idea!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

A very nice set. Thanks for sharing. My knowledge of these types of knives is very limited since I only collect Italian switchblades, but I have learned a lot from your posts.
niceguy2

Post by niceguy2 »

Nice! And very hard to find the automatic , especially in this condition, the few I’ve seen over the years most were beat up. Thanks for showing these.
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

a Rare Pair indeed,thanx for the info and the pix Neal.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

A rare and quite unique pair plus the Italian version - wow - thanks for sharing. The photos make them look like they were made yesterday, but they are pre-WWII which makes we wonder if the steel is stainless as opposed to carbon

Jim
button_man

Post by button_man »

Fantastic examples of knives that are over 80 years old....!

Did you shell out (sorry, could not resist) big dough for these or did you pick them up cheap?
And I'm wondering what the current market value is on these..... does anyone know what similar knives have sold for?
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

button_man,

These knives are rare enough that "current market value" is not a useful term. I see it as analogous to a unique property for which realtors don't have any "comps"

Jim
Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

Nicely put Jim. It's not the place to talk prices.
rithvich

Post by rithvich »

These are great knives. Pardon the weird analogy but I see these as the Airstream of switchblades. Steel exterior with some nice stag paneling and everything you could ever want on the inside)
Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

Beautiful knives Neil. Your ad for the knives is a great accompaniment too. The D.R.G.M. reminded me of a knife that I once owned. It must have been made by George Schrade while he lived in Germany. It looked exactly like his 3 3/8" double knife. The only markings on the tangs were D.R.G.M. and GERMANY. I never saved the photos I had of the knife before I sold it. That was the only example that I have ever seen. Talk about sellers remorse!
thom

Post by thom »

Awesome, I have never seen anything like it. And you have 2. Thanks for sharing
Thom
Quaero

Post by Quaero »

Thanks for the nice comments all, and I agree with Jim and Jackalope that pricing should be avoided in a collector based thread.
rithvich, yes there is an "airstream" or "art deco" look to those models.
Jackalope, There were a few different German-made copies of Schrade press button knives and I would have enjoyed seeing the one you had.