alphabetized list of Switchblades in Films

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
button_man

Re: alphabetized list of Switchblades in Films

Post by button_man »

Yet another "Thin Man" switchblade appearance.... maybe!

Nine minutes before the ending of "After the Thin Man" (1936), a shady nightclub owner called "Dancer" pulls a knife -- it's only visible for a fraction of a second, and I couldn't tell if it's a spring-knife or not. Can anybody find the scene and post an image here? I'd like to add this film to the list if it qualifies.
TMD

Post by TMD »

Another movie not mentioned on the list

Into the night 1985, Two Super automatics are used towards the end of the movie.
button_man

Post by button_man »

Thanx TMD.... it has been added....!
TMD

Post by TMD »

One more
Hired to kill 1990 Nato military OTF
button_man

Post by button_man »

TMD ~ Got it... thanks!
button_man

Post by button_man »

I just realized that I have posted about two different 'Thin Man' films and described the same scene as being in both!

The scene featuring "Dancer" (the nightclub owner) was actually in "After the Thin Man" (1936).
So, now I am not sure whether there was actually a switchblade scene in "Song of the Thin Man" or not.
I'll just have to wait until it rolls around again on TCM......
TMD

Post by TMD »

Undisputed 2 Last man standing 2006 Stiletto
Austinaftermath

Post by Austinaftermath »

The Incident (1967) Looks like it has a Rizzuto in it.
Attachments
Incident, The (1967)_029.jpg
Incident, The (1967)_029.jpg (33.07 KiB) Viewed 2878 times
Incident, The (1967)_002.jpg
Incident, The (1967)_002.jpg (32.44 KiB) Viewed 2878 times
button_man

Post by button_man »

Good photos from these movies! Both have been added to the Lists....
button_man

Post by button_man »

Last night I was watching a re-run of "Hill Street Blues" at 3 am and was treated to a scene where a vicious pimp pulled out a Rizzuto and threatened (an undercover) Lucy Bates -- original broadcast Feb. 7, 1985 / Season 5 Episode 16 -- often a knife is only visible for a fraction of a second, but this was on-screen long enough to see the hallmark cheesy swinguards as well as the bail on the back bolsters.

Also, I recently watched "Runaway Jury" .... a 2004 suspense / action movie that is well-made but is eventually spoiled by Grisham's blatant anti-A2 bias -- anyhow, this is the first time that I've seen a film that tries to gaslight the audience into thinking that a switchblade has been deployed: you hear a sharp "snap" and immediately see a knife with a dagger-type blade being held in one hand by the Bad Guy..... only by freezing the picture do you perceive that it appears to actually be a fixed-blade knife, and not even a folder, let alone a switchblade. (Sorry for the somewhat fuzzy photo; I dunno how to find still photo shots of movies, so I just snapped a picture of the movie on my TV)
Attachments
Striking_Distance__1066_c.jpg
Striking_Distance__1066_c.jpg (143.6 KiB) Viewed 2795 times
boogibar

Post by boogibar »

Just saw "song of the thin man" last night...looked like a clip point blade, but couldn't really see the handle...I'm thinking it was an American knife...can anyone confirm what it was?
button_man

Post by button_man »

I still have not been able to confirm exactly what is going on in "Song of the Thin Man".

Also, with a nod to my above post of April 29, 2021: last night I viewed what may possibly be another "gaslighting" incident -- in the film
"Fort Apache: The Bronx" a drug dealer pulls out a knife and it snaps open.... but if you freeze the scene and advance it frame by frame,
you will see that you never actually see the blade in the process of opening; one moment it's closed and the next moment it's open.

Even more interesting: the hand holding the knife has the fingers curled around the bottom of the handle, where the blade would have to emerge
from the blade channel. There is no way that the blade could magically pass through those fingers! But everything else in the scene remains exactly
the same -- it's tough to figure out how the folds of clothing, etc. could not have moved even a tiny bit if the crew swapped out a closed knife for
an open knife to simulate a switchblade being opened.
Highspeedsteel

Post by Highspeedsteel »

There's a little pealex lever (looks spanish like a Toledo) that the main character finds in a gal's purse in Grievous Bodily Harm from 1989.
Mario

Post by Mario »

Caught 1986’s Running Scared with Gregory Hines and Billy Crystal on TV earlier. There’s a scene where Joe Pantoliano’s character pulls out a switchblade on them to tell them what a Colombian necktie is, kind of similar to the one bad guy in the movie K9. Pantoliano appears to have a Rizzuto. At first I thought it was a NATO OTF but once I looked closer it appeared to have Rizzuto guards, so either an original Japanese one or a Korean clone.
Highspeedsteel

Post by Highspeedsteel »

The Pusher (1960) Italian Stiletto