Henley

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Quaero

Henley

Post by Quaero »

There were a great many contract knives made in Germany (and other countries as well) especially during the first few decades following WW II. Companies such as George Rose (ROSCO), EIG, and even Latama were all little more than a guy with an address who sold knives that were made by others. Here is yet another example of such a company which is marked "Henley & Co." According to the Goins book, Henley existed during the 1950s and 1960s and imported knives from Germany. That is certainly the case with this model, and there is no question who made it with the blade tang stamps shown. The front blade tang reads "Henley & Co" (over) "Germany". The back side reads "Othello" under the famous Wingen head trademark, and "Solingen" is stamped below that. Also enclosed is a catalog illustration from a Henley catalog dated to 1953 showing that lever model. Anton Wingen Jr. made good quality knives, and this knife is no exception. The fit and finish is above board and the handles are a beautiful premium grade of stag. A fine German-made lever model overall.
Attachments
German Henley (1200x773).jpg
German Henley (1200x773).jpg (357.77 KiB) Viewed 4300 times
German Henley Back (1000x733).jpg
German Henley Back (1000x733).jpg (269 KiB) Viewed 4300 times
German Henley Wingen .jpg
German Henley Wingen .jpg (172.67 KiB) Viewed 4300 times
Tkreil66

Re: Henley

Post by Tkreil66 »

Great looking knife!!
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Quaero,

That looks to be an outstanding example of an uncommon stamp. The stag looks fantastic and the corresponding Henley ad adds to the collector appeal.

Jim
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

A beautiful vintage German lever lock switchblade and an obviously rare importer's stamp! Now, I'm fairly sure I knew that "Othello" went along with that "Head Trademark", but I'm sure I never knew it belonged with Anton Wingen Jr.. I can't pinpoint it exactly, but has that Head Trademark been used on other knives that weren't of Anton Wingen Jr. production? I'm not certain, but seems we've seen it on knives not of German production(?). I could be totally wrong here. In addition (question): Were all Anton Wingen Jr. knives marked with the Othello Trademark? Thanks in advance!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

that is in great shape .. thanks for sharing it !
thom

Post by thom »

Nice knife, thanks for posting pictures. We all appreciate them.
Thom
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

That is a fine knife indeed! Thanks for sharing.
Quaero

Post by Quaero »

Thanks for the nice comments all.

JulesVane, The Othello "head" trademark was registered to Anton Wingen Jr., but you may have seen it used on other knives that were contracted out to Wingen. Like the knives themselves, the Othello trademark changed a bit over time. The original logo had much greater detail and more accurately portrayed the character of Othello, the Moorish general who was depicted in the work "Othello" by Shakespeare in 1603. Enclosed are two Othello trademark pictures; a wonderful graphic from the pre WWII era (on top), and a more basic version from the post WWII era (below).
It seems that all of the Wingen switchblades that I remember seeing had the "head" trademark stamped on the back of the blade tang.
Attachments
Wingen Othello Trademark Pre WWII.jpg
Wingen Othello Trademark Pre WWII.jpg (56.1 KiB) Viewed 4247 times
Wingen Othello Trademark post WWII .jpg
Wingen Othello Trademark post WWII .jpg (50.28 KiB) Viewed 4247 times
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Quaero,

Thanks for the information, history, and photos. I hadn't made the Shakespeare connection, but should have. I have one stamped Anton Wingen Jr over Solingen Germany on the front and Rostfrei in an oval on the back. I'll pictures posted in a day or so.

Jim
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Great knife and info!
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

thanx for the history and the pix Neal.
john

Post by john »

Wicked coo! Thanks for the info too!
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Great thread for learning about some knives I have not been into as of yet.

Did Wingen trademark other Shakespearian characters? "Lady Macbeth" would be an appropriate name for a nice stiletto, fit for a King!
Quaero

Post by Quaero »

Thanks again guys, and good to see a few more old friends who I recognize.

Jim, That modern Othello stamp which is most commonly seen doesn't exactly give the impression of Shakespeare's Othello.

natcherly, No other Shakespeare characters, but Wingen did use a knight in shining armor as another trademark.
Several of Shakespeare's works could be used as a trademark since so many of those characters were killed off with a knife or sword. :)
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

I somehow managed to find a Henley stamped leverlock. It is very well made.

Jim
IMG_0818.jpeg
IMG_0818.jpeg (149.5 KiB) Viewed 2770 times
IMG_0816.jpeg
IMG_0816.jpeg (159.23 KiB) Viewed 2770 times
IMG_0815.jpeg
IMG_0815.jpeg (102.57 KiB) Viewed 2770 times
IMG_0812.jpeg
IMG_0812.jpeg (97.69 KiB) Viewed 2770 times