Switchblade Collecting

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
jim d,

Switchblade Collecting

Post by jim d, »

Here is my story. How about posting yours?

Switchblades were a forbidden fruit of my youth, something I coveted, but never managed to obtain. Instead, I settled for false button and manual lockback stilettos. I kept an open eye for decades but never managed to acquire the real thing. Years later in 2000 I performed an internet search for “switchblade” There I learned that I could purchase real switchblades, and among other things, found the old SKM forum (the predecessor to this forum). It was high time to make up for lost time. At first, my only interest was in Italian stilettos as the Italian Stiletto was my vision of what switchblade should look like. Leverlocks seemed ugly to me and I had no desire for any. Times certainly do change!! :D At first the thrill of actually being able to purchase switchblades resulted in me building a collection of modern swivel bolster stilettos in just about every size, scale material, and blade type. Then over time as I became educated my tastes evolved to different types of knives and mechanisms. Now, I focus on vintage German leverlocks. The move from routine production models to the old and the unique seems to be the path many collectors take. Like some others, the absolute number of switchblades in my collection has decreased over the years as my tastes have become more selective.

Many thanks to those who through the years have contributed to my switchblade education.

Jim
sammy the blade

Re: Switchblade Collecting

Post by sammy the blade »

I had a couple Milano my dad brung back from Mexico. About 2001 I got a webtv and discovered blade auction and it was on. Found this forum and Steve's and Terry's forum and here I am. Not much of a collector anymore and got rid of most of my stilettos but still have a couple of old Merlin's and my Stray Dog customs and a few others but I still like and carry an auto daily.
2024 candidate for president
skirmish

Post by skirmish »

When I was about 8 years old, my dad used to take us to a real surplus store, in the early 70’s. Back then you could buy real surplus. Stuff with swastikas on it, and nobody batted an eye. In the big glass case, was a British paratrooper gravity knife. The OSS model, as I would come to realize many years later. The guy behind the counter let me handle it, and drop the blade in and out. I had found my destiny. That knife was the coolest thing I had ever seen. It was 45.00, which was a small fortune back then. I begged my dad to buy it for me, but of course, I was much to young for such an illegal weapon. I became obsessed with the idea of having an automatic knife. Several years later, in 1983 I went back to that same shop. It was under new ownership, and the knife was long gone. I asked the new owner if they ever ran across any gravity knives, and he reminded me that they were illegal, but said, “give me a minute,,and I’ll look in the back. He came back a few minutes later with a small box. It had 3 German flight utility gravity knives ( from the 60’s) and several spare blades for the older WWII take down models. I was overwhelmed with my amazing luck. He said that’s all he had, and the box had been on a shelf for years. I gave him 50.00 for the whole box, and made my exit. After that I began searching every, surplus store, antique shop, gun show and flea market for anything that went click. I’m sick, and I have no intention of ever getting well.
portlandmike

Post by portlandmike »

1984 and I was a freshman in high school. A guy at school brought in a switchblade that is father had given to him after a recent trip to Germany. It was a slick 9" green handled swivel bolster with the short import blade. I pestered and bugged him for months until he was finally ready to sell.. I loved that knife and I snapped it open for anyone and everyone until the spring finally broke. I still have it and even though I know I can get it repaired I like it the way it is. As Jim stated, I have moved on to vintage knives. I never got the german or lever bug but have really learned to appreciate the french, spanish and even japanese autos. I 've got about 400 switches now and even though I keep telling myself it's time to let some go and stop buying ... it's not working yet
button_man

Post by button_man »

In 1972 some kids in my high school class went on a school-arranged trip to Spain during Spring Break. Customs and inspections and searches were a joke compared to today, and just about all of the boys came back with beautiful switchblades.... I was green with envy. I clearly remember looking at one knife that was fairly small -- the blade was probably 3" or so -- but the handle was a masterpiece of small inlaid semi-precious stones fitted together in a sort of mosaic. I've never seen anything like it before or since. If anyone has such a knife I would love to see photos! Alas, I never owned a switchblade of my own until the 1990s, when the wonders of the Internet opened up the world to me.....
Dave. B

Post by Dave. B »

My cousin gave me a broken Super Automatic style OTF when I was around 11 years old. It would retract the blade only. My mother threw it away even though my father allowed me to have it. I loved that knife. That was the start of browsing the ad pages in magazines like Soldier of Fortune and other gun magazines of the day. LOL A kid could buy anything from the back of a magazine in those days of the early 80's! Grass cutting money was turned into an arsenal of Taiwan and Japanese made knives, "Ninja" weapons, blowguns and fireworks.
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

It was the mid 50’s. I was 10 years old and enjoying vacation with my parents and older brother in Florence, Italy. Aside from the sightseeing and other touristy stuff, my parents spent a lot of time shopping or enjoying adult beverages. While they did so, it was no big deal for me to go off and wander around on my own. During one of these self-guided tours, I passed by a shop window where there was a large display of switchblades. The only ones I had ever seen up until then had been in movies. Seeing them up close and personal was a whole other thing. I was hooked and couldn’t wait to get one. The problem was I only had a couple of hundred lira and over a thousand were going to be needed.

While walking back to the hotel, I asked my Father if I could have an advance on my allowance. He asked what I wanted to buy, and I said something clever like “Just some stuff.” He was immediately suspicious and warned, “If I find you bought one of those switchblades they sell here, I will throw the damn thing in the river.” That clinched it! There was no way I could let that challenge go unmet. I did have a couple of Bank of England pound notes, but was not sure they would be accepted in an Italian retail store.

The next day we were on the Ponte Vecchio, the famous medieval bridge that has shops built right on the deck of the span. While my parents went into a jewelry store, I found another shop stocking a terrific selection of stilettos. I showed the proprietor my currency. He very carefully examined the pound notes by holding then up to the light then left the store to find out what they were worth. I was sweating bullets as all this was taking a lot of time. Finally he returned and we agreed to exchange my money for a 10” stiletto with greenish horn scales. The bayonet blade sparkled and the scales gleamed. If the knife was not held really tightly when the button was pressed, it would spin out of your hand. The blade was about as sharp as your average letter opener and had no markings of any kind, but that didn’t matter to me. I slipped my new purchase into my pocket and walk to the jewelry store where another transaction had just been completed. My mother was ecstatic and could talk of nothing but how much she loved her new brooch. I was no less happy but kept my mouth shut about what I had acquired.

Someone stole that knife from me twelve years later. By that time the blade and other metal parts had lost their sparkle. The whole thing was loose as a goose due to the soft steel used, but the spring was still as strong as it was when it was new. I didn’t think about replacing that knife for the next 30 years, my interests having gone on to other things. That was until I saw a movie on cable I had forgotten about. It was “The Ladykillers” with Alec Guinness and Peter Sellers. Herbert Lom was also featured in the cast and his character sported an impressive black handled Kris. Seeing that brought back the memories of my Italian experience, and I was off on an Internet exploration. The rest, as they say, is history.
button_man

Post by button_man »

One correction to my post above -- I now recall obtaining switchblades --sort of-- back in the 1980s, years before I ever had a computer..... I'm not sure how I discovered the company selling DIY kits, but it was probably from a magazine ad. These were the 'NATO Military' OTFs..... I bought maybe 4 of the kits; don't recall the price. I put one together but the rivets really stymied me; all I could do was pound on them with a hammer and the result was awful -- they were ugly, misshapen, and had lots of sharp burrs. I was so disheartened that I packed away the rest of the kits and have not seen them for about 35 years. I know that I have them in a box "someplace" but don't ask me where. I have not seen unassembled kits for sale during the past 20 years at least. Now that the 'NATO' and 'Super Automatic' knives have developed a small following, I wonder what those kits would sell for now....?
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

button_man,

Might you be thinking about Edge Co. or Magic Knife kits? If so, they were cheap then and now. There were probably others as well.

Jim
Dave. B

Post by Dave. B »

button_man wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:00 pm One correction to my post above -- I now recall obtaining switchblades --sort of-- back in the 1980s, years before I ever had a computer..... I'm not sure how I discovered the company selling DIY kits, but it was probably from a magazine ad. These were the 'NATO Military' OTFs..... I bought maybe 4 of the kits; don't recall the price. I put one together but the rivets really stymied me; all I could do was pound on them with a hammer and the result was awful -- they were ugly, misshapen, and had lots of sharp burrs. I was so disheartened that I packed away the rest of the kits and have not seen them for about 35 years. I know that I have them in a box "someplace" but don't ask me where. I have not seen unassembled kits for sale during the past 20 years at least. Now that the 'NATO' and 'Super Automatic' knives have developed a small following, I wonder what those kits would sell for now....?
I found four sealed OTF Edgeco kits at a gun show two years ago. $20 each...bought all four. The kits were two Special Forces, one Onyx, and one Nato Military. Unfortunately only three of the four survived as the Nato Military model literally crumbled in my hands while putting it together. On the bright side I was able to use the parts and repair a Nato that I bought when I was in high school.
button_man

Post by button_man »

jim d, wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:25 pm button_man,

Might you be thinking about Edge Co. or Magic Knife kits? If so, they were cheap then and now. There were probably others as well.

Jim
'Edge' rings a bell..... they very well may have come from there.... I won't know for sure unless I live long enough to dig out the kits....
button_man

Post by button_man »

Dave -- I'm very interested to hear of the "Special Forces" and "Onyx" because I have not seen these names on the Korean OTFs before.

I don't suppose you have any photos...?
Dave. B

Post by Dave. B »

button_man wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:25 pm Dave -- I'm very interested to hear of the "Special Forces" and "Onyx" because I have not seen these names on the Korean OTFs before.

I don't suppose you have any photos...?

Here is a snip from a larger photo. I remember seeing all three in the Edge Co. catalogs back in the day. The Onyx was their club knife...and it is bad quality. Lots of hard, brittle plastic all around :lol:

Attachments
20190928_144729 (2) - Copy.jpg
20190928_144729 (2) - Copy.jpg (427.33 KiB) Viewed 3006 times
button_man

Post by button_man »

Dave ~ Thanks for that photo! I definitely had not seen those names before! And the more I think on it, the more certain I am that my OTF kits did in fact come from Edge.... I now remember that they issued a print catalog of their items. I never throw away anything and I hope to someday run across not only the kits, but also one or two of the Edge catalogs that I'm sure I have stashed away "someplace". It would be interesting to view them now, with a perspective of 35 intervening years....
Dave. B

Post by Dave. B »

Edgeco knives - Copy.jpg
Edgeco knives - Copy.jpg (578.64 KiB) Viewed 2947 times