Five Diamonds OTF

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
button_man

Five Diamonds OTF

Post by button_man »

I picked this up last year for somewhere around $20 to $30..... the only hint at identification is the logo on the handle of 5 layered diamonds. The operation is flawless and lockup is solid. It seems to be a very well-made piece. Has anyone else run across this brand of knife? I would be very interested if anybody has any info.... thanks!
Attachments
518__5_Diamonds__blade_R.jpg
518__5_Diamonds__blade_R.jpg (339.5 KiB) Viewed 2439 times
516__5_Diamonds__blade_O.jpg
516__5_Diamonds__blade_O.jpg (218.75 KiB) Viewed 2439 times
515__5_Diamonds__closed_top.jpg
515__5_Diamonds__closed_top.jpg (382.68 KiB) Viewed 2439 times
514__5_Diamonds__closed_O.jpg
514__5_Diamonds__closed_O.jpg (534.98 KiB) Viewed 2439 times
sammy the blade

Re: Five Diamonds OTF

Post by sammy the blade »

Looks like a variation of the lightning but I've been wrong before.
2024 candidate for president
fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

Do you know the blade steel?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Typical Chinese zinc handled knife.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
john

Post by john »

Sounds like a really good deal for $20.00/$30.00.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
sammy the blade

Probably 440 but from China it's a guess what it is.
button_man

Post by button_man »

Thanks to everyone for their input..... I have no idea what the blade steel might be....

The handle of this knife is virtually identical to the Lightning brand; although the blade is somewhat different.

One of the interesting aspects of this likeness is that my Lightning weighs 106 grams, while the 5 Diamonds is 211 grams... just about double.
I'm not sure where all the extra weight is, but the knife feels very solid when held.... not featherweight like the Lightning.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

The newer lightning models I saw at the Mystic Show was twice as heavy as the older ones. I believe they just used heavier metal in the handle. I liked the older lighter ones.
button_man

Post by button_man »

Tom19176 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:34 am The newer lightning models I saw at the Mystic Show was twice as heavy as the older ones. I believe they just used heavier metal in the handle. I liked the older lighter ones.
I didn't know that recent Lightning knives have become heavier..... now I'll have to get one! Of course, the change to Lightning is not directly relevant here for a couple reasons: first, this knife is not a Lightning; and second, my lightweight Lightnings were purchased earlier this year; whereas the Five Diamonds was purchased either in 2017 or 2018 -- I'm still looking through my records for the exact date. (And I bought it after it had been through several hands, so it may be years older still.) So, the heavy Five Diamonds was made long before the Lightning started adding weight.

I suspect that either somebody saw the Five Diamonds knife and copied it by making the Lightning brand - - or conversely, that somebody saw a Lightning knife and decided to make an improved version by producing the Five Diamonds knife. Either way, it's interesting that with the collective knowledge represented by this forum, nobody has seen the Five Diamonds before. I tend to be obsessive about provenance and it irks the heck out of me that I can't find any information on this knife!
button_man

Post by button_man »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:27 pm Typical Chinese zinc handled knife.
Bill, I'm glad to see you here, because I'm hoping that you can tell me how take-apart-able and put-back-together-able these OTFs are.... I'm very tempted to crack open the Lightning and the Five Diamonds to compare the innards; but I don't want to be left with a pile of parts that I am unable to assemble without some arcane and highly specific rig needed to hold everything together while the handle is being bolted back on.

What are the chances of a successful Exploratory Operation for an average joe armed only with a handful of screwdrivers, a Gerber multi-tool, and a couple cans of "Old Milwaukee".....?
sammy the blade

Not much to an otf knife. If you can tie your shoes you should be able to take it apart and get it back together. I'd skip the Old M till your done though, you might loose a screw or two. You shouldn't have any problems and you'll be surprised how simple an otf knife really is. Let us know how it goes.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

What he said!
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
TazmanTom

Post by TazmanTom »

Could the extra weight be from going to zinc/white metal from aluminum for the handles ? Never seen a Lightning with that style blade (the two tone treatment), very similar to all those new OTFs coming out of Texas. Several brands, all the same handle profiles.
sammy the blade

They may be coming out of Texas via China.
TazmanTom

Post by TazmanTom »

The Texas stuff is import parts put together in Texas with whatever name you want on it. The local around here in Fl. is Hely Tech. Lifetime warranty out of Orlando, and they honor it. Not sure about warranty on others. Haven't seen the "heavy" ones. Generally decent for an import. IMO. Taz