I just received a Cobratec Boker Plus Scale release knife from Grindworx

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Fishtail Picklock

I just received a Cobratec Boker Plus Scale release knife from Grindworx

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

These are out of production and are in limited supply at Grindworx. at $69.99 I thought that the D2 tool steel blade and the aluminum handle (with a black carbon fiber insert) were wonderful. I was right. This is a very cool "hidden release" automatic. :wink: 8)

Go look for them and pick one up while they're still available.

Good luck
Last edited by Fishtail Picklock on Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fishtail Picklock
JPD1998

Re: I just received a Boker Plus Scale release knife from Grindworx

Post by JPD1998 »

I got one in the mail today too.
Very well made and well worth $70. I got the blue and black carbon fiber, it’s very nice.
It took me a few tries to open it , but quickly figured it out.
Dave. B

Post by Dave. B »

Cobratech?
Fishtail Picklock

Dave. B wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:46 amCobratech?
Yes, it is a Cobratec. The knife fools anyone that doesn't understand how it works. (This is handy when you are in an area that is unfriendly to automatic knives).
Fishtail Picklock
monstro

Re: I just received a Cobratec Boker Plus Scale release knife from Grindworx

Post by monstro »

Is this the model that's a pretty blatant copy of a Protech / Wiskers Magic BR-1?

Kinda funny, cause Pro-tech were making the Auto version of the Burnley Kwaiken for Boker.

Does that mean they aren't any more?
Fishtail Picklock

Grindworx is vending the limited amount of black and blue carbon-fiber insert scale models as I write this. If it is a blatant copy of the Protech/Whiskers Magic BR-1, they're either getting away with it, or paying Protech to use their design. (It is likely a case of the latter).

This little D2 steel gem is an excellent EDC blade. I really appreciate how Boker Plus (of Taiwan) manufactured the slim aircraft aluminum scales and light pocket clip. I can carry this in a good pair of slacks without fear of wearing out the pocket and have a wicked-sharp, drop point blade for instant use when I need it. Heck, I can carry it in a two, or three-piece suit without fear of telegraphing its presence.

I am glad I bought it.
Fishtail Picklock
XBMX

Post by XBMX »

I had a Smith & Wesson very similar to this years back.
TazmanTom

Post by TazmanTom »

Dave that owns Pro Tech is just too nice a guy. Kershaws breakout, a few years back, was a dead copy of the TR3. He didn't contact them and it went away anyhow. I have a couple of Chinese knives that are ok, but I draw the line at copy cat counterfeit products though. That's theft...
Fishtail Picklock

The upper 1/8th of the scale is what locks/unlocks the blade. The lower scale is what releases the blade on the others. No patent infringement here.
Fishtail Picklock
TazmanTom

Post by TazmanTom »

Just watched the video again. Dont see any difference in it and the BR1 Pro Tech, both bolster release. Bad enough to use the mechanism, but copying the pattern is going too far. The Pro Tech opens and closes with the bolster. Sorry, I personally have issue with rip offs of American products. Just me...
TazmanTom

Post by TazmanTom »

There was an issue at Shot Show on this knife. Someone took one and showed it to Dave from Pro Tech. He spoke with the reps from Boker and they said they had no idea about the similarities to the BR1. They were pulled, discontinued, and the remainder went to Grindworx. The rest of the story...
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Fishtail is thinking of one of these Daltons (or one of the clones) from years back. I don't remember if protech made one similar. They opened somewhat awkwardly by sliding the rear of the scale.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwFMfxRj4l4
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

TazmanTom wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:02 pm There was an issue at Shot Show on this knife. Someone took one and showed it to Dave from Pro Tech. He spoke with the reps from Boker and they said they had no idea about the similarities to the BR1. They were pulled, discontinued, and the remainder went to Grindworx. The rest of the story...
Sounds like an expensive mistake. You would think someone at Boker would be more knowledgeable about past popular knife designs.
TazmanTom

Post by TazmanTom »

Additionally, there was a similar incident with the Kwaiken. The new ones, although still licensed by Boker, are NOT made by Pro Tech. That's why they're half the money. Boker was asked to remove the Boker Plus logo on some that were double marked Pro Tech and Boker Plus. It gave the impression that somehow they were tied into Chinese production. Pro Tech does make a traditional, full scale, model also designed by Whishers. It's in its second production run, much larger knife. Hope this helps.