Help Needed (Real or Knock Off??)

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
tophatjohnny

Help Needed (Real or Knock Off??)

Post by tophatjohnny »

GEDC1388_zpsujxbpoxw.jpg
GEDC1388_zpsujxbpoxw.jpg (232.3 KiB) Viewed 3599 times
AKC and not sure if it is a Chinese copy or not? If anyone can tell from the picture that would help. It's only a 9" and after picking up an 11" custom and now have another 11' older Swinger on the way from George, thinking a smaller White Pearl handle might be cool? Any help would be appreciated and I know it may be tough with just a picture, but that's all I have to go on. I messaged the seller asking and all I got was the fact that he bought it off another member a few years back? Not much help there! Thanks
Jay Blade

Re: Help Needed (Real or Knock Off??)

Post by Jay Blade »

Just curious, is the tang stamped or printed AKC Italy? I have a couple copies that are printed AKC, not actually stamped in.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Hi Johnny. I've only been very recently introduced to the world of "clones & counterfeits". I saw this piece listed as well and nothing crossed my mind about it NOT being the real thing. I'm not familiar with the seller, but he does have 44 prior transactions (only 1 of which negative). Looks like you can expect to get it for a good price as well as I don't think the demand for the AKC swinger is way up there. I own 2 of them, they are "okay", but don't expect the snap to be anywhere near your custom or new Frank B. If the bid stays as low as I expect, I'd personally go for it if you'd like to add it to your "pearl" collection. (just my thoughts). Mind you, I'm FAR from able to spot a counterfeit as other members may be.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
john

Post by john »

Hi TopHat,
It looks like a genuine AKC. Do you have or can you get a photo of the stamp? It would very helpful in verifying its authenticity.
John
PS
Here are two AKC stamps both are genuine

Last edited by john on Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Possible comparison (assuming mine are "real" lol)

Here's the tang of the one for sale:

The difference in blade grinds (though all bayo) is apparent. Possibly the year produced(?)
Last edited by JulesVane on Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
john

Post by john »

JulesVane, your two are ACK knives.

TopHat, the stamp appears to be lasered. From what I can see it looks genuine.

John
John

JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

john wrote:JulesVane, your two are ACK knives.

John
Damn John! I knew it! Mine are "ACK", "All Chinese Knives"...LMAO (It's early Saturday morning John. Typing CAN be difficult before coffee lol).

john

Post by john »

I believe they can manipulate the color of the stamp by the temperature of the laser. They can fill in the handle on the stamp, etc.

John

john

Post by john »

JulesVane wrote:
john wrote:JulesVane, your two are ACK knives.

John
Damn John! I knew it! Mine are "ACK", "All Chinese Knives"...LMAO (It's early Saturday morning John. Typing CAN be difficult before coffee lol).

By the way your two knives are awesome. I had the same 9 inch white pearlex acrylic handle. I had blonde horn so I customized it with the blonde horn.

I love that: AKC - All Chinese Knives - just too funny!

I'll post full photos of the three knives.
John

Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Every knife pictured in this thread is Italian.
There are some posts here that are confusing...
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
john

Post by john »

I customized the two swing guards. One I replaced the white acrylic pearlex scales with blonde horn. The other, I don't recall what was on it originally, had to of been another acrylic type scale and I replace those with sambar stag. These were two of my first customizations. I still wasn't confident with my ability to cut safeties. So as you can see these knives have no safety.
The 9 inch Catalana is a button open/close.
tophatjohnny

Post by tophatjohnny »

Thanks, and I do now believe it is an authentic knife. Not sure it will make its way into my hands as I do like quality and the 2 swingers I own so far are very nice. I think the piece I bought here from George will fit right in, so I'm sure next week I shall see. This one I still may make a play for but after hearing that the snap isn't all that good and seeing the spring sticking out like it does when it's open is not exactly pretty...IMHO anyway? I'll think about it doe sure. Thanks for the great pics John.

Tophat
tophatjohnny

Post by tophatjohnny »

I went ahead and bought it. Now I have 2 coming this werk. Crazy right??
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

tophatjohnny wrote:I went ahead and bought it. Now I have 2 coming this werk. Crazy right??
This hobby CAN be "crazy" lol. I, myself, don't know whether I should be admitted to a psych. center or rehab for my addiction. I had saved for the Walt's Classic. When they took too long to arrive, I spent the money on other knives, passing on the Walt's. Walt's arrived and I bought one of those too!I I'm about as "nuts" as they come!

tophatjohnny

Post by tophatjohnny »

JulesVane wrote:
tophatjohnny wrote:I went ahead and bought it. Now I have 2 coming this werk. Crazy right??
This hobby CAN be "crazy" lol. I, myself, don't know whether I should be admitted to a psych. center or rehab for my addiction. I had saved for the Walt's Classic. When they took too long to arrive, I spent the money on other knives, passing on the Walt's. Walt's arrived and I bought one of those too!I I'm about as "nuts" as they come!
That Squirrel cracks me up brother.
This hobby is slow for me as the desire comes and goes. Just nice to know this forum exiists and so far have met a few cool cats. Im sure there are a lot of great people here and it will take time to learn about the knives. I only dig swingers at this time and white pearl is my favorite. I may get a few more if i can find em!! How bout a 13"??