Garage Find 13" Mauro

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Raidernation

Garage Find 13" Mauro

Post by Raidernation »

So I stumbled upon this when I was cleaning out boxes in the garage. The blade is s shaped. I think its called a kris? Its also marked with " Mauro Mario Italy" and the total length of the knife is 13". So is this a keeper or a garbage letter opener? Any help would be appreciated.

gravknife

Re: Garage Find 13" Mauro

Post by gravknife »

This is definitely not a letter opener ...

It certainly isn't garbage ...no knives are

This is a 1950s italian hand made picklock with a nice clear makers stamp.
It has nickle silver bolsters , D stamped thick brass liners, beautiful horn and its untouched on my small screen.
The 13 inch size is a bonus in these knives .
I'll wait now until the more experienced Italian collectors chime in ,but i think that's a beautiful old k riss bladed picklock about 65 years old .
I'd wager this is a very sought after old blade ,and being a kriss is a bonus as usually there are less of this blade type made.
Fine switchblade ,thanks for sharing it .
Others will comment and welcome to talkblade .

Ian
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

It's a keeper for sure!
2024 candidate for president
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Raidernation

Mauro Mario were large makers of switchblades and employed around 50 men in Maniago Italy.
They made around a 100,000 knives and many made by them had other blade stamps aswell M.Italy ,Wandy ,Guttman&Co.
If you type in Mauro Mario on the search here ....the magnifying glass you will find a lot out about these knives.
Or type "Mauro Mario switchblade "on Google and loads of information will show up .There is a page from switchblades of italy a fine book when you type in the name.

I really like that swirly horn chosen for your knife and that top picture is killer ,its a very nice knife to my new and learning eyes.

I wish to God I could find something like that in my garage ,if your throwing it away I will personally help you dispose of it straight into my collection.

Glad you found this place and hope you stay around .
All the best
Ian
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

Well, after cleaning your garage, you're about a thousand dollars richer, congrats :!:
Knee-deep in the hoopla...
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

awesome find man wow , it is definetly a keeper , dont polish or do anything to it leave it "as is" . it has beautiful horn handles untouched kriss blade , definetly from 1950's i will bet with a slip in type spring and 5mm thick backspring, D-stamped brass liners, nickel/silver bolsters , nickel/silver button and safety , carbon steel blade. you can tell if button safety and bolsters are nickel/silver by seeing if they are magnetic by placing a magnet up to it as if magnet sticks they are not nickel/silver and probably stainless steel but if magnet does not stick they are most likely nickel/silver. if you decide to sell it you should get nice amount for it 1000 bucks maybe more :)
Raidernation

Post by Raidernation »

Thank for the quick response guys. Sounds like a definite keeper and i will not polish or mess around with the finish. Oh yeah there was also one more knife that was marked Rizzo and has a pearl looking handle. A quick search revealed that its nothing special but it looks cool. I'll post pictures of that one later tonight. Makes me want to ditch work and go through some more boxes in my garage.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Let me know when you are ready to clean out the shed, I'll be happy to help 8)
lance

Post by lance »

Nice score!! Luckiest guy i know!! So ya bought a house and these were in a box in the garage!?!? Wow man thats awesome!! :shock:
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

nice find man, just please do not clean it at all,go back in that shed and open more box,s good luck on finding more.
elkabong

Post by elkabong »

WOW! Very Cool!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Definitely oil the steel parts to prevent further rusting.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Raidernation

Post by Raidernation »

Bill DeShivs wrote:Definitely oil the steel parts to prevent further rusting.
any special oil? I am assuming anything that will work with firearms should be good to go?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Exactly.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Raidernation

Post by Raidernation »

Here is the other one it's a rizzuto