Raimondo picklock

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Raimondo picklock

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The bevel has been reground.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Sethd11

Post by Sethd11 »

Ok. Thank-you for the help so far. Just didn't think it felt like someone took it to the grinder. I guess I'll put it up for sale and see what I can get... Thanks Again
john

Post by john »

Hello Everyone,
Your knives are all beautiful examples thanks for posting.
John
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
lance

Post by lance »

You do have a desirable knife there Seth and congrats on your score.it's nice knife,a lot of us would love to add to out collections.I think Don is correct in his pricing,but you have to be very helpful and upfront,and ready to,deal with unseen consequences.
People tend to get VERY PICKY,when they spent that kinda money on a knife.and a deal isn't done until a buyer gets,inspects,and is happy with his purchase..no one likes being mislead.or just plain old scammed..(not implying the latter)..
But that door goes both ways.you may feel like you won the lottery.but it's not the case.you'll do ok.but don't expect to get rich.
Sethd11

Post by Sethd11 »

Thanks Lance,. I'm not looking to get top dollar. The funds go to my firearm addiction.
Jimmy@71

Post by Jimmy@71 »

I also have a raimondo I inherited from my grandfather, my family though it was a letter opener but when examining it I knew different lol.it is in excellent condition .
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

I have a 9 inch Raimondo that is fairly thick, and has the violin bottom shaped picklock lock plate on the backspring.
It has a light horn front scale and a greenish white back scale. . .and is sort of slow to flick open.
Somebody had once told me that Raimondos (at the time in the 1950's) were rare in the USA.
Mostly because knives imported into the USA had to be stamped with place of Origin AND the Importers Name.

Raimondo's do NOT say "Italy" anywhere on them.

So, Raimondo's were "supposedly" not intended to be sent to the USA. And so, if found stateside, it was likely
brought back as a traveler's souvenir in a suitcase or army duffle bag.
Raimondos may be as common as any other automatic in Germany or Italy. . . .just not in the USA.

That being said . . . .40 years ago in 1980. . . .A Raimondo would have been a rare bird.
Being rare in 1980 would have fetched a royal price, and some collectors stick with that evaluation.
But now, that MAY no longer be the case.
Collectors and international internet sales may have evened out the knife's distribution.

500 dollars may seem steep to some people. . . .but if you are a maniac collector looking for that specific knife,
then you may very well get 500 dollars. ..especially for a full lightly sharpened blade that is pretty straight.
And if the tang stamp is not rubbed off, and the blade name stamp is deep.

Things you would look for is if it has been buffed on an electric buffing wheel, and the edges are rounded.
or if the Brass pivot pin is original, and not hammered again. Or if the scale pins are filed down.
Stainless or Rostfrei indicated Raimondo's are not very early 50's knifes, but closer to 1958 and later. (guess-timating)
Each of these potential flaws are reasons the price would drop at a knife trade show.

So you have to "take it with a grain of Salt" . . .when you hear hard core collectors who are not desperate
discussing the price of any knife specimen.

Photo . . .Top knife is My Raimondo
2nd knife is a common 2005 plastic scale automatic 9 inch
3rd bottom knife is a MINT CONDITION manual folder clip point / Horn Scales, with a rare internal coil compression backspring.
Attachments
raimondo-knife-jk31.jpg
raimondo-knife-jk31.jpg (128.21 KiB) Viewed 267 times
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Nice to see an old thread brought back to life. Gives me a chance to inquire about my Raimondo. I have no doubt it is one, but mine doesn't have the word "SPRING" on the tang. Everything else seems to check out: 11", the keyhole shaped locktab, of course RAIMONDO lengthwise on the blade. The scales are black acrylic (plastic). I thought they all had plastic scales, but I've seen a very few with horn. So...why no "SPRING" on the tang? Early knife, later knife?...

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

I suspect a different importer requested the specific tang stamp

I see INOX . .maybe Italian ?
I see Rostfrei . . .I think German or Dutch . .
I see Inoxia/ IHER . . .it's on my Spanish Toledo lever action.

So I suspect "SPRINGER". . .is exclusive to German importers.