Just ordered a GT (OTS) GT-140 (California Legal).

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Fishtail Picklock

Just ordered a GT (OTS) GT-140 (California Legal).

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

2" ATS-34 steel blade (Rc 60), 4.75" long open, black blade. I stole it from Blade HQ for $38.94 (including shipping). It sells on GT Knives home site for $150.00. I think that I got a decent deal on a nice General Utility pocket knife. It seems that these little knives are an "undiscovered gem" of pocket knives.

Any opinions?
Fishtail Picklock
whippersnapper

Re: Just ordered a GT (OTS) GT-140 (California Legal).

Post by whippersnapper »

Great little knives and that price is a steal. I have owned a couple over the years. If I wasn't down sizing my current collection I would order a few....
http://www.bladehq.com/item--GT-Knives- ... tic--34970
Fishtail Picklock

Thank you, Whippersnapper.

I'm a real sucker for a "General Utility" knife. Call me a "practical pig" all you like, I'll keep smiling.

I'm afraid to ask, but, why are you "downsizing"? Too many duplicates?
Fishtail Picklock
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I'm just not as interested in collecting as I used to be. Except for a couple of knives I actually use, the rest are stashed away and no use to me or anyone else. Besides, when I kick the bucket I don't want the wife to have to deal with trying to figure out what to do with everything.

The older I have got the more I realize what a silly hobby it has been...Grown men hoarding knives that in most of our cases are still illegal to actually show or use in public.

I stick around more now because I do still enjoy seeing a great knife once in awhile and most importantly have made friends on the forums over the years.
Fishtail Picklock

Hell, I'm 61 and am trying to go back to work. I hope to enjoy the knives I buy. I understand, and agree with, your logic. "Users" are a lot more fun than "dust collectors".
Fishtail Picklock
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I don't know.... just the way I have been feeling for awhile. Many of the folks I enjoyed collecting with have moved on from this world or because of health issues and other reasons have moved away from the hobby. Depresses the hell out of me (along with many other things) and has changed the way I think about things.

Sorry, I don't mean to be such a stick in the mud...lol
Fishtail Picklock

Don't feel too bad I am struggling with depression, and it is difficult to reenter the workplace. I don't look my age, but people discover that I'm over 60 and treat me as If I am "over the hill" and of little use. Try finding work as a Voice Actor with 10 years of post-secondary education.

No respect.
Fishtail Picklock
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

I hope your okay Mr Whippersnapper.
You have helped me since I joined with your knowledge,and I thank you for that.
I have left knives many times in my short innings ,but something always drags me back.
When my wife says "how many of them do you need,they all look !he same".I walk to the wardrobe and reveal the countless handbags and shoes she has amassed.
I can understand the loss of freinds and seeing knives and posts that are similar to when you joined ,but I for one thank you and all you moderators for giving up time to comment and help here.
.Your combined knowledge is unrivalled and I for one love this place as im stuck at the moment in groundhog day due to family health issues.
Something will catch your eye whippersnapper in the near future and all knives will again have the purpose which made you hunt and buy them in the first place.
All the best to you and thanks
Gravknife
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Thanks Grav, I'm fine, just stuck in bad rut.... sorry to hear about your family health issues and hope things improve for you.

It is nice to see a new guy like yourself with the passion. I wish you would have been around about 10 years ago when the place was hopping. It used to be an exciting place but now it has about died out. Now we chat more about our worthless politicians and hardly mention knives...lol
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Fishtail, yeah, I know what you mean about the age bias. Wish things weren't like they are...
Fishtail Picklock

I'm considering going to work for the Veteran's Administration. Since I'm an old Navy man (a Stateside participant during the Southeast Asian Yacht Club Affair, 1973-1975). I can work for them while looking for studio and stage work. Working at the VA Hospital could "keep me off the streets". I can still feed my gun and knife habits while working for the Federal Government.

Consider this: My entire family is dead right along with my children. I am alone (again) in a town of 1780. No friends, no family. The only people I know and care about are 75 miles away. I get to talk to them about once a month... if I'm lucky. Don't feel too alone. I AM alone! Keep busy and love your wife. Time is passing by.

I'll let you know how the new GT(OTS) GT-140 turns out.
Fishtail Picklock
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

I got out of collecting too. I traded off all my Italians for a hideout pistol, which I traded off for a glock 26, which I carry every day. Auto knives are legal in Indiana now but I don't edc one. Funny how our interests change!
2024 candidate for president
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I thought I had kept a green one but must have traded it off. I added a couple pics to show how small these California legal GT knives are. These are a little unique because the button is integrated into the pivot.

I'm still surprised BladeHQ is selling these so cheap. These are one of my all time favorite little snappers.
IMG_0270 - Edited (1).jpg
IMG_0270 - Edited (1).jpg (97.91 KiB) Viewed 4749 times
IMG_0268.JPG
IMG_0268.JPG (250.64 KiB) Viewed 4749 times
IMG_0269.JPG
IMG_0269.JPG (249.56 KiB) Viewed 4749 times
IMG_0266.JPG
IMG_0266.JPG (160.28 KiB) Viewed 4749 times
IMG_0267.JPG
IMG_0267.JPG (181.61 KiB) Viewed 4749 times
Fishtail Picklock

This is going to be PERFECT! A great pocket knife that I'll use the daylights out of! :mrgreen:

I'm going to LOVE this knife! :wink:
Fishtail Picklock
Midnight Drums

Post by Midnight Drums »

Looks about the same size as my Protech Runt.