Fake Hubertus

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Fake Hubertus

Post by Bill DeShivs »

There are definitely counterfeit Hubertus knives out there.
I'm not sure this is one of them.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

In the back of my mind I was thinking Hubertus might offer more carbon blades in the future.
Still hoping this is a fake because if the blade steel breaks during a repair what does this say about the steel quality?
duneSpacer

Post by duneSpacer »

Sadly, knife shows are becoming more and more full of this sort of product. Seems that when they attempt to add the trademark insignia, there will almost always be some way to tell real from fake.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

It's not a fake, it's a real Chinese Hubertus.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Bill just to be clear these are real but now made for them in China? If true is that just the blades or the whole knife?
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

I believe it's dhgate has fake leverletto and all kinds of microtec otf's, and akc stilettos. Found that doing a search on Ganzo's. Thinkin china needs nuked!
2024 candidate for president
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Let me put this another way-
Hubertus is apparently now having the 8cm MODELS MADE IN CHINA. The whole knife.
There have been Chinese copies for years.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Thanks Bill that is what I thought you meant......Sad....
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

About everything is being made there anymore and that's a shame!
2024 candidate for president
Belmont800

Post by Belmont800 »

What crap.
Belmont800
Greaser1

Post by Greaser1 »

A guy tried selling me one. At first glance it was a beautiful nice. something seemed off about the blade. Then I realized it was made in solingen. That's right solicen. you can look then up under hubectus knives. The tang stamp was weird too. Something just wasnt quite right . Hubertus sued the hell out of several different companies. so now they use subtle differences to prevent that. But a few years back it was straight theft of intellectual property. It hurt the hubertus reputation. alot of the hit or miss was actually hit or miss authenticity not quality
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I'm unaware that Hubertus sued anyone in China. Enforcing patent/trademark violations in China is nearly impossible. I would like to know where you got this information.

I have seem many fake Hubertus knives, and I have never seen one marked "Hubectus." The original marking on the German knives looks exactly like the Chinese markings everyone thinks is "Hubectus." The markings are in cursive, making the "R" look similar to a "C."

Any misspellings like "Solicen" are simply mistakes in translation/spelling.

The Chinese don't have to intentionally misspell trademarks, as there are no repercussions for counterfeiting.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I don't know much about Hubertus's retail sales, but Otter Messer is now making a reasonable facsimile of the 11CM model under the Hubertus name.
All we can hope is that they, or someone else in Solingen, take over production of the other models.
Mario

Post by Mario »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:05 pm I'm unaware that Hubertus sued anyone in China. Enforcing patent/trademark violations in China is nearly impossible. I would like to know where you got this information.

I have seem many fake Hubertus knives, and I have never seen one marked "Hubectus." The original marking on the German knives looks exactly like the Chinese markings everyone thinks is "Hubectus." The markings are in cursive, making the "R" look similar to a "C."

Any misspellings like "Solicen" are simply mistakes in translation/spelling.

The Chinese don't have to intentionally misspell trademarks, as there are no repercussions for counterfeiting.
There’s a Chinese clone of the Hubertus Guardian swinguard which features the printing where the “R” looks like a “C.” It’s available on Wish and DHgate. It has file work on the blade, guards and bolsters and a faux stag handle.
TazmanTom

Post by TazmanTom »

Bill, wasn't there some outsourced by Hubertus to Checkoslovakia a couple of years back ? Seems I remember that clip blade as being noticeable on those. Just trying to add to the confusion... Tok