What got you into Switchblades?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Roccomo

What got you into Switchblades?

Post by Roccomo »

Was it a personal experience? Was it the movies? After reading whats written in this forum I started wondering what everybody else thought about this. Just what was it that started your interest in automatic knives?
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

Hmmm.. I'm not sure. My first knife was a swiss army knife, and my first switchblade was a 4" keychain black acrylic handled picklock. Still have it! But the spring is busted it was an Italian one, it lasted for a while!
Dan-o The Ritalin Kid

Post by Dan-o The Ritalin Kid »

Drinking beer!
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

My first knife was an Italian stiletto with the spring removed. I soon as i got home with it, i would cut a piece of metal from a coat hanger and would shape a spring for it. It didn't have much of a snap, but would open with the push button.
Now i have a wide range of styles and makers.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

As a kid in the 60's, switchblades were the proverbial forbidden fruit. I had knives, even some fake switchblades, but never a real one. On very rare occasions I would get an opportunity to hold and fire a real one. Through the years I had always wanted a real switchblade but never managed to acquire even one.

Then one night last November while drinking beer and surfing the internet I was inspired to do a search for "switchblade", and I found the SKM site! Nothing else need to be said.

Jim
slappy / psychoticsumo

Post by slappy / psychoticsumo »

my dad had one i used to sneak it out of the drawer and flick it i thought it was so cool, but most of my life since highschool ive carried an old golden dragon bayo blade butterfly that i had the top bayo part sharpend on it in a machine shop.... i still have that knife but its all banged up looks like crap now and been through hell was my main work knife but it lasted all these years
majorsteve

Post by majorsteve »

I was about thirteen or fourteen when I read the book "The Cross & the Switchblade". It has alot of switchblade and New York youth gang (Bed-Stuy area) stories in it that are truly authentic. Anyone else ever read the book or the one called "Run Baby Run"?
the spotlight kid

Post by the spotlight kid »

I have been buying knives since the very early 60's.I got a good collection of handmade Bowie's,12" blades the smallest.Bought my first switch at school when I was 12,lost it there aswell when the headmaster took it and mashed it in a vice in the metalwork class! It was a beauty made out of a solid aluminium block with black scales and 4" blade.I have never seen another anywhere.I never did like school!Cheers the spotlight kid. :cry:
johnny blade

Post by johnny blade »

Strange as this might sound ,after watching a movie called "The Hitcher" with Rutger Hauer. I always pictured a switchblade as the traditional stilleto. I didn't know about OTF's but after seeing the movie I knew Ijust had to have one of these magical marvels! A few years later I stumbled accross the Edge Company ads in Guns and Ammo and have been hooked ever since.
Dan-o The Ritalin Kid

Seriously, My church youth group.
No not really. Jr. high I bough an old Rizzuto for $10.00 then bought and sold a few more then my first Italian was a 10 3/4" Mauro Mario Black horn scales (I thought they were some kind of dark wood) and sold it 2 years later. Then started collecting a few years ago. Internet ya know.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

I have been into knives since I was about 5 or 6 in the mid 50's. Don't know the reason but they just fascinated me from my first pocket knife. About 8 years old or so I discovered switchblades and the rest is history. Although I have close to 300 knives from factory to custom switches are but a small part of my collection. I love all knives passionatly but switches hold that special place in my heart of all of them. If I leave my house in the morning and I don't have a knife with me then it means I completley forgot to put my pants on. :oops:
PB
Dan-o The Ritalin Kid

Pushbutton, "I don't have a knife with me then it means I completley forgot to put my pants on".
That is the exact reason I tape one to my ankle right after I get out of the shower.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Dan I also forgot about my neck knives.
PB
tanto

Post by tanto »

I was looking for a knife with a nice design that would open easily but without the thumb stud. It took me some time but then I found the Woodard Fer De Lance and that was it - the knife I saw in my dreams :).
And sine autos are 100% legal here it has been my daily carry for some time now...

David
---------------

My knives + watches
Doofus Emeritus
King and Tyrant

Post by Doofus Emeritus »

Mr. Rocco,

James Coburn in the Magnificent Seven. Still my favorite switchblade scene's.

Mr. Dan-O,

Tydy gave me one of those lighters at the show. I put it in my pocket and forgot about it until I got back to the motel. I gave it to Mrs. Bonzo, cause I don't smoke either. (cant stand it, watched it kill my Dad) I did have Tydy send me 4 more. They make good gifts.

Best Regards,

Bonz
In Search of the Eternal Buzz