Desert Knife Works (DKW) Sandshark- Taking Apart, Cleaning, and Adjustment of Blade Play

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
mwande

Desert Knife Works (DKW) Sandshark- Taking Apart, Cleaning, and Adjustment of Blade Play

Post by mwande »

This is a description of the inside of a desert knife works (DKW) sandshark, operation of the adjustment screws, removal of frozen screws, cleaning, and adjustment of the DKW Sand Shark out the front (OTF). By proper cleaning and adjustment the resulting sand shark can have ZERO blade play (like a fixed blade) which I achieved for the two I describe here.

OVERVIEW OF THE ADJUSTEMENT SYSTEM

There are two types of DKW sand shark model adjustment systems. The earlier models utilized a single adjustment screw and the later models used three adjustment screws.

Figure 1. Single and Triple Adjustment Screw Set-Ups in the DKW Sand Shark
fig1.jpg
fig1.jpg (52.94 KiB) Viewed 3757 times
The set screws used in all systems are size 2-56 x 3/32” socket black alloy with a 0.035” hex socket. In the three screw set-ups the outer two screws use a cup point and the center screw has an oval point. In the single screw set up only the oval point set screws are used. Both types of set screws are depicted in Figure 2.

Figure 2. Bottom View of 2-56 x 3/32” Oval and Cup Point Set Screws (20 X)
fig2 (2).jpg
fig2 (2).jpg (77.65 KiB) Viewed 3757 times
The outer cup-bottom set screws in the three-adjustment screw models have a loose steel ball that sits in the hole as shown below which in turn makes contact with the blade.

Figure 3. Cup Point Set Screw with Steel Ball as it would sit in Knife
fig 3.png
fig 3.png (41.49 KiB) Viewed 3757 times
In Figure 4 a blade is shown from a three screw set-up with the three contact areas. The two outer points of contact on the blade have a press-fitted steel ball shown as 2 and 2’. The free steel ball shown above would contact the knife’s at positions 2 and 2’. In this way the ball can freely rotate and contact surface area is minimized. The center point of contact the pin shown in position 1 would receive the oval point set screw. The center set-up also has minimal contact using the oval point set screw bottom against the oval pin on the knife (position 1).

Figure 4. Three Adjustment Screw Blade Showing Adjustment Points Contact
fig 4.jpg
fig 4.jpg (117.39 KiB) Viewed 3757 times
The single screw adjustment model blade is not shown but would look as above but without the outer 2 and 2’ positions (press-fitted balls not present). No loose steel balls are therefore used in the single screw model.

REMOVAL OF THE SET SCREWS AND CLEANING OF THE ADJUSTMENT SYSTEM

The Sand Sharks come from the factory with Loctite (glue) which was liberally placed on all the adjustment screws. Over the years this results in the screws being frozen in place as well as considerable (unadjusted) play due to wear and lack of adjusting. Attempts to adjust such screws without pre-treatment to remove the Loctite would result in stripping of the hex heads. DKW recommends loosening the Loctite before attempting adjustment using heat. In my experience heat using a soldering gun tip does not work. I therefore developed the following method. First dissemble your DKW Sand Shark using the directions provided by DKW. I have a copy if you need them. With the set screw(s) still in place apply Loctite solvent (you can buy on internet) on both sides of the set screw bottom and top such that the solvent can penetrate the screw from both ends. Allow it to soak into the threads and repeat application over a several day period. Follow this by liberal soaking using penetrating oil such as KROIL first from the top then the bottom again over several days to ensure maximum loosening effect. At this point we have done our best to free up the screw and we are ready to attempt to turn it. Take the right size Allan wrench (0.035”) and gently try and turn counter clock-wise to see if the screw turns. Hint- You may want to use a magnifying glass to discern if screw is turning or not as you push. If the screws can be removed remove them completely. Be alert that the outer two screws in the three-adjustment screw models have the loose steel ball (one in each hole a total of two) so be careful when you remove the screws not to lose them inadvertently. Carefully tip it into a vial or bowel for safe keeping. If the set screws do not turn freely with just a little pressure proceed to the step shown below on removing frozen screws. DO NOT FORCE SO THAT YOU RISK STRIPPING. Please note that I have yet to find a knife that did not have frozen screws even after this treatment so please count on using the below method.

REMOVING FROZEN SET SCREWS

Glue the 0.035” hex wrench into place in the hex screw socket using super glue by applying a small drop at end of Allan wrench. Hold for several minutes with tension in counter clockwise direction and let dry for about 30 minutes. Then hold your breath and give a sharp snap in counter clockwise direction. It should turn freely and be loose. I have used this technique three times with great success. The gluing of the wrench in place ensures you don’t strip the hex socket. Remove the screw which is still glued to the wrench and you can then easily remove glue from the screw by soaking in acetone (or Loctite solvent). Once all the set screws and steel balls (in the case of the three adjustment model) are removed proceed to the cleaning step.

CLEANING, ASSEMBLY, AND ADJUSTMENT

The set screws and steel balls may look clean to the naked eye but as can be seen below in Figure 5 Loctite residue is usually present. Remove this by soaking balls and set screws in a sealed vial with Loctite solvent over a several day period with intermittent shaking. Use the solvent in the knife handle thread holes to remove any Loctite that might be in the threads. You should see the residue slowly sluff off resulting in clean looking screws under a magnifying glass.

Figure 5. Set Screws and Steel ball with Residual Loctite Before Cleaning (20 X)
fig 5.jpg
fig 5.jpg (98.24 KiB) Viewed 2842 times
I have not shown it but the steel balls also contain Loctite residue from the factory. Note that a steel ball with Loctite can not perform as efficiently and freely rotate. For this reason once cleaned and reassembled I do not recommend using Loctite. Simply adjust your screws as desired and re-adjust when needed. To clean your knife I use KROIL to hand wipe clean the blade and internal parts. I then flush the internals you can’t access using WD-40 nozzle under pressure. Be careful to flush through the set screw holes to ensure removal of any residual Loctite or debris. At this point you can assemble your knife leaving the set screws to install as last. Once your knife is cleaned and assembled identify correctly the two cupped point set screws using a loop. These belong on the outer holes. Insert the steel ball into the outer hole followed by the cup point set screw. The set screw with the oval (rounded) tip goes in the middle and no steel ball is used. In the case of the single adjustment set screw systems no steel ball is used and there is only one oval point set screw to insert. Now you are ready to adjust your sand shark and achieve your near play-free blade. This is a very intuitive process and does not deserve much comment. Simply fire knife then tighten screws as much as you can. If you tighten too much then the blade won’t retract when you fire since the adjustment screws are holding it in place. You then back out a trace. I start with the outer screws then do center one last but do not think it matters. When you reach maximum tightness you will note the speed slows somewhat when fired due to the friction against the adjustment screws. Whether single or triple adjustment models I found I can get them to fixed blade status where I detect no play at all up-down or side-side . FYI the sand shark even without set screws in place has no side-play so the purpose of the screws is really to adjust out the up-down motion.

REPLACEMENT SET SCREWS AND STEEL BALLS FOR THE DKW SAND SHARK

In the event your set screws need replacement due to being stripped or other the set screws in the desert knife works sand shark are size USA 2-56 x 3/32” socket set screws of black alloy (magnetic). You can find the cup point on the internet but I have yet to find the oval point variety. I would recommend reusing the original ones as once they are freed up as I recommend they would have to be severely stripped to be inoperable. I have never replaced the steel balls but they should be available if lost or for some reason your knife is lacking them. They are 0.063" per my measurements with micrometer. When I first removed these set screws from my three-screw knife I had no idea these balls were present. The next day I saw a steel ball on the table and while I didn’t throw it out it did not occur to me where it might have come from. Once I saw under the microscope that two of the set screws were cup point and one was oval point I eventually I pieced the puzzle together of which this entire report is a result. Once I had my hypothesis of the steel balls I realized there should still be one ball somewhere yet to find. I was gratified to find it on the floor beneath my desk thus completing the mystery. Please don’t count on repeating this type of luck! Frankly if I had not seen that one steel ball sitting on my desk I would have never even suspected the set screws were different let alone loose steel balls were present. I am sure others have removed these screws and did not even notice or find the microscopic balls that likely sprung into the ether lost forever. In any event I hope this summary provides what few remaining mysteries remain for this incredible knife. I have owned Harkin Tritons old and new and Daltons and Microtechs and no double action OTF knife I have handled has the button action as smooth and locks up tighter than the sand shark nor has as smooth of a button action.
Last edited by mwande on Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
peter44

deleted

Post by peter44 »

Deleted
Last edited by peter44 on Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guns for show, knives for a pro!
mwande

please delete

Post by mwande »

please delete.
Last edited by mwande on Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Viking45

Re: Desert Knife Works (DKW) Sandshark- Taking Apart, Cleaning, and Adjustment of Blade Play

Post by Viking45 »

Sorry mwande, we like to think of the Talk Blade Forum as not only about the "business end" of the knife world,we like to think of it as a place to share our stories of knives and the enjoyment we get from collecting.
Peter has one of your knives and lives in the UK so this is the only place he can share his knife collection and stories about said collection.
I apologize for crossing the line and trying to have a little fun talking about every day things with a good friend in your post.
(unwanted replies deleted)
I am a moderator here and if I can be of any assistance in the future such as deleting posts by other folks whom may interfere with your instructional tutorial please let me know. I will certainly discourage anyone that wishes to have random conversations where it's not welcome.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention and perhaps I can dissuade other unwanted and unnecessary posts throughout the forum as well.