gearbest.com?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Fishtail Picklock

Re: gearbest.com?

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Agreed. Mine's been shipped and the "slow boat from China" makes it look as if the 3 weeks will be worth the wait.

We need to order a bunch of these and make certain that these inexpensive, yet robust knives don't disappear from the market. I just watched a man speaking fluent Russian discussing the virtues of the Ganzo Model 7212 Drop Point auto while carving what appears to be a table leg from a piece of hardwood.

Encore!
Fishtail Picklock
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Fasttech is a little faster that Gearbest but you're probably still looking at at least two weeks... JB
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Oh, well. It will be worth the wait. :D :roll: :wink:
Fishtail Picklock
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Got my gonzo stilettos today, mine didn't have the chisel grind blade and weren't as sharp as I'd like! Most knives aren't ad sharp as advertised anyway!!! Descent snap but better than than alot of $20 knives. All in all it's a well built knife and a great value for the money, I've paid a lot more for a lot less quality knife. I'd give it a 4 1/2 star rating even if it cost $45. Grab one if you get the chance!!!!!
2024 candidate for president
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

I too received a couple of pointy things in the mail today. The OTF from Fasttech and the Gerber Covert Auto from Blade HQ. I have to say that I was surprised to get a counterfeit of a Microtech Scarab. As you can see it is actually marked as such. I think we all own a few "copies" but this is a first for me. The box says made in the USA and even has an American flag! I have to say that if I had known I would not have bought it... Having said that it is a nice knife. It's heavier and has less blade play than a Lightening or Titan for example. The Gerber is different than the one that I purchased a few years ago. Although it has a better snap it is not quite as well made as the original. It's nice but just falls slighty short in quality. Have a look. Hey Sammy show us a photo. JB

John Brown

Post by John Brown »

gravknife

Post by gravknife »

John Brown
That's a lovely Gerber .
How can you tell the difference with the clone microtech ?
I'd love one but have never held clone or original.
The Mt looks just like an original from pics i have seen.
Thanks
Gravknife
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Gravknife:

Like you I have never actually held a genuine Microtech so I can't say how they are different. The clone is well made and really heavy. I think it has a stainless body which would account for it's heft. From what I understand the real Microtech Scarab has an alloy body. The clone takes more effort to fire the blade than a Ligntening or a Titan but it fires stronger. I like both Titans and Lightenings but this Microtech clone is noticeably better made. I would like it better if it did not bear the name of Microtech... I went back to look at the ad on Fasttech and photos there did not show the name Microtech. JB
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The clone's handle is zinc, not steel.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Thanks Bill! Out of curiousity, what is the handle material of the Ligtning and or Tital made of. They are both much lighter, I'm assuming an aluminum alloy. Would you agree that the Microtech clone is more robust? It's a shame it is dishonestly branded... JB
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

They are all zinc, to my knowledge. Some may be more hollow than others.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Thanks Bill, that makes sense. This new clone is really heavy! JB
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Out of curiosity, I just tested the clone with a magnet and the body attracts a strong magnet with the blade out.. Maybe it is attracted to the spring within? The stainless blade attracts the magnet too. JB
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Maybe it's steel, but I really doubt it.
The way they make these clones to sell so cheaply, is they cast the handle parts that are normally machined.
You can't cast steel inexpensively, it must be machined.
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

It really looks like a casting, I'm pretty sure of that. I remember when Ruger started doing investment steel casting for their gun parts, even receivers. I read that the cost to set up this process was very high and that they counted on producing large numbers to absorb the cost. Maybe the clever Chinese have found a less expensive process. I wish you could see this Bill. JB