Just bought a Troodon - Question - OTF - Microtech

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
incessant

Just bought a Troodon - Question - OTF - Microtech

Post by incessant »

Hey all, I decided to celebrate Maine's legalization of switchblades with a new knife acquisition.
I had a UTX-70 and it was my favorite knife in my collection but wanted something larger for an EDC.

So the knife came and I love everything about it, save for 1 thing: The tip of the blade JUST peeks out of the handle.
If you run your finger over the opening you can feel it.. which mean its cutting you - essentially paper cuts (as evidenced by my multiple bandaids lol)

My questions is if anyone else has this issue with Troodons or any other Microtech. My UTX-70 seats about 1/16 of on inch inside the handle so it does not have this issue.

TIA
-Rhad
Legalize it!
Midnight Drums

Re: Just bought a Troodon - Question - OTF - Microtech

Post by Midnight Drums »

I just purchased two Combat Troodons, one with a Tanto blade, one with a drop point blade.
Neither one do this, but my Halo V does do this, and the instructions with the Halo V knife warn you of this.

I had a Scarab before returning it for a second Combat Troodon, i dont remember any peaking with it either.

I have an Ultratech, it doesnt have that problem either.
Midnight Drums

Post by Midnight Drums »

Maxpedition sells a single sheath holster that works well with these, the flap is secured with velcro.
It mounts horizontally or vertically on your belt.

Do a search on Amazon for it.....
Around 20 bucks
incessant

Post by incessant »

I think I will contact microtech and see what they have to say. Perhaps a warranty issue.
Legalize it!
fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

Or it might have been trying to adjust the blade to handle ratio. On the new Halos they actually warn you not to drag a finger over the slot.
Last edited by fastr19 on Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

I can feel the point if my drag my finger across the top of my Ultratech, but not enough to cut. I'm considering buying one of the UXT-70s for carry. I wish they had not discontinued the UTX-85 as I consider that the perfect size.