Can someone explain this ballistic knife?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JimBrown257

Can someone explain this ballistic knife?

Post by JimBrown257 »

Hello,

I have been interested in Ballistic Knives for a long time, though I've never actually seen one outside of pictures and videos. When I was a kid I saw the movie Commando with Arnold Schwarznegger in which he uses a Ballistic Knife. After that I made my own with a metal pipe and large spring. The knife was a standard spade shaped throwing knife. I sawed off half the handle then fitted it into a wood rod. The pin was just a nail attached to a piece of metal on a small see-saw type thing so when you pressed on it, the nail came up out of the hole in the wood. It was pretty cool; it went pretty far. Usually, it hit the target at an angle but about one out of ten times it would stick in.

Anyways, I was looking at some dealer's page and they had a link to "ballistic knives". Of course, when I clicked it, it only said they didn't have any. However, it did have this picture. It isn't the normal knife-spring-handle contaption. It kind of looks like it has the barrel of a .38 in it.

Does anyone have any experience with one of these or, at least, can you explain how it works?

Thanks,

-J
Attachments
Ballistic Knife
Ballistic Knife
Ballistic Knife.jpg (15.87 KiB) Viewed 13873 times
Markco the Mad otter

Re: Can someone explain this ballistic knife?

Post by Markco the Mad otter »

I have never seen one of those but to me it looks like the cylinder of a .22. I couldn't imagine using live ammunition to fire a blade out because the bullet would be following it. Maybe those are blanks and they fire the blade out. The whole thing seems sort of impractical. If you are going to have the noise from even a .22 blank going off why bother with shooting a blade out instead of a bullet?
SNAP, SNAP, SNAP!!
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Are you sure it isn't a combination gun/knife? Bullet shoots out the barrel above or under (or to the side) of a fixed blade?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

That is a knife/gun combination. I believe it's called the "Grad."
BATFE classifies it as "Any Other Weapon" (AOW) and there is federal registration and a $5.00 tax on purchase.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

That is a TRUE ballistic knife, in that it has a 5 shot .22 gun inside the handle.
It shoots bullets like the REAL Spetsnaz ballistic knives do (the NRS-2 knife)

The TRUE ballistic knives do not shoot their blade.

The one you have a picture of is called the G.R.A.D, for Global Research And Development
http://www.selectfire.com/products/grad/
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
Markco the Mad otter

Post by Markco the Mad otter »

Ah, very interesting. Thanks for all the insight.
SNAP, SNAP, SNAP!!
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Thanks for the feedback.

Is the idea so that you can have a hidden gun, like in case you get searched or so the bad guy doesn't know you actually have a gun?

Other than that, it seems kind of impractical. It would be difficult to aim, among other problems.
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

Is the idea so that you can have a hidden gun, like in case you get searched or so the bad guy doesn't know you actually have a gun?
Well the basic idea seems to be that you have a knife or a weak gun as a backup. In-case the other person pulls a gun or maybe if there are multiple assailants.
Or possibly it's meant to be like a bayonet, just that you can shrink a gun, not a knife.

The Russian NRS-2 is meant for special operations, it shoots the sp-4 ammo, which uses a piston system to fire, making it near silent. Quieter than ANY suppressed weapon. The sp-4 ammo also has more muzzle energy than a typical .380 acp (aka: 9x17 browning). The point of the NRS-2 knife is for infintration, it has a gun facing the opposite direction and hold either 2 or 4 shots (I forget which it is exactly). It's for James Bond type work. This ammo is also used in the PSS pistol, asemi-auto 6 shot gun, that makes about as much noise as tapping a pen on a desk.
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

It's for James Bond type work. This ammo is also used in the PSS pistol, asemi-auto 6 shot gun, that makes about as much noise as tapping a pen on a desk.
...It kind of reminds me of the single shot zip-guns they used in the movie Munich (in the scene where they realize the girl hitting on them in the bar was a spy). It was a simple device that was basically a short metal tube, I think from some sort of pump, with a single .22 round and a firing pin (see picture). They pushed in on it (like how you pump a small bicycle pump) and the pump pressure moved the pin hard enough to fire the round. From what I remember, it made a fairly soft, almost hollow, THUMP.

If you are into interesting homemade guns, and haven't done so already, you should check that scene out. It seemed to be a similar device as Benny Blanco used at the end of Carlito's Way. Of course, neither can compare to John Malkovich's homemade deal in the movie In the Line of Fire.
Attachments
Munich Zip Gun
Munich Zip Gun
Munich Zip Gun.jpg (80.72 KiB) Viewed 13742 times
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

I own munich, one of my favorites.

Here's a video that features the PSS firing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K73kKODFyzw

Also, here's one with the NRS-2 knife
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW3ZBLlPz_c
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Thanks for the links,

You guys weren't kidding; that PSS just makes the slightest click noise. It sounds like that noise is just the movement of the gun. If so, I bet you could make it even quieter with some sort of padding.

Those links made me do what I usually do when I follow a link to a cool Youtube video; I spent the last two hours clicking on all the "Homemade whatever cannons" and stuff like that. Now I've got twenty new projects.
Belmont800

Post by Belmont800 »

I can explain it, It's illegal as hell! :D Large cool factor (I admit) even LARGER illegality factor. The ONLY OTF - ish knife that will allow police to ENTER YOUR HOME if they have reason to believe you own one --
Belmont800
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

It's actually 100% legal, as long AS it is powered by a cartridge and registered as an "Any Other Weapon".
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

The ONLY OTF - ish knife that will allow police to ENTER YOUR HOME if they have reason to believe you own one --

...But calling it a "Knife" is misleading, right? Because, essentially it is a gun. And they don't like people to have virtually silent guns. That's the issue, right?
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

...But calling it a "Knife" is misleading, right? Because, essentially it is a gun. And they don't like people to have virtually silent guns. That's the issue, right?
No, the spring powered Pilum knives are illegal.

Suppressed weapons and suppressors are legal. Also, there are NO restrictions against soft-fire ammunition. so that means the PSS gun and the NRS-2 knife are both just as legal as any other pistol. Also, the G.R.A.D knife is legal as a pistol, since that's what it is.

Also, a pilum knife that uses an explosive charge would be an any-other weapon.