Help

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
calabrese

Help

Post by calabrese »

Im new to knowing whats a good italian knive and what to stay away from. Has anybody dealt with roadside imports? The man John talks like a real ass. I brought a 11" Frank Beltrame and the blade was off to the left when opened. I called John and he was very sarcastic saying you get what you pay for. I thought Frank Beltrame's knives were good. Or it might have been a knock off, on the tang you had to look really close to see Frank B on it. John agreed to exchange the knife for a Beltrame 11" 5mm not a Walts 5mm which I have a 9" camel bone which is a beauty. Im waiting for the Beltrame to arrive and hope its a good one. Im not saying John is a bad person he just needs to learn how to deal with people.Im new to this and people are just not born knowing they learn from others.
Viking45

Re: Help

Post by Viking45 »

Frank B knives are very good but every now and then a bad one may slip through the cracks and this goes for all the hand assembled knives from Italy.
I do not have any personal experience with Roadside but sounds like he ultimately made it right with you...that is of course if you are pleased with the outcome.

I do feel if a person decides on a business he should also decide to treat customers with respect.
It seems to me that people in any "specialty" business that deal with so many questions and end-up frustrated and have little patience with those less familiar.
I see this with gun shops a lot- They want to sell their merchandise not answer many questions and this is bad overall for business and return customers and for the customer asking the question.

Again I am talking about all businesses not about Roadside what-so-ever.
calabrese

Post by calabrese »

I thank you for your post and yes he is making good on the knife, I have'nt recieved it yet but he (John) said I made a better choice on the Frank B 5mm Ill see when it comes.
Knifeguy420

Post by Knifeguy420 »

Hey there ive delt with JB from roadsideimports on many many occassions! Yes he os a very straight forward tell yea how it is type guy but other then that hes gone outta his way to help me many of times and i will continue to go through him! The more you deal with him the easier it gets trust me! :D
' Snitches get stitches '
calabrese

Post by calabrese »

Ok, well if the knife he sends me is good then yes I will deal with him more, if not then lesson learned. thank you for the post.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Many agree that the 5mm knives are some of the best coming out of Italy. I personally love my 11" dark horn with the cat stamp.
huckles

Post by huckles »

I too am new to knife collecting [Fall 2011], and too have purchased from Roadside. I've purchased 5 or 6 knives from him. On the surface, he makes it almost intimidating to want to return a defective knife. When I asked to return the 2nd knife I purchased from him, he said mail it in and he'll take a look. When I did hear back from him, he offered to fix it. I declined, and requested an exchange for another knife [different brand]. He agreed without attitude, and the replacement was great. I've purchased subsequent knives from him since with no problems.
Chrisadamley

Post by Chrisadamley »

I can also verify that he does usually in the end get the person what they want.

However he is a horrible business person when it comes to dealing with customers. I don't even want to imagine how many repeat customers he has turned away :roll:

Granted i know i will get what i order, but i just don't order from him i don't feel like dealing with his attitude and snarkyness just to get the blade i want. There are plenty of other places that have the same knives with GOOD customer service that actually give a shit about who orders from them.
Gunner7

Post by Gunner7 »

I Have dealt with this person. To say it was a bad experience, is putting it mildly.
jsolo

Post by jsolo »

I know what you mean about showing repect I got a knife from a maker on the good list on this site.I had got file work done also so it wasnt a cheap knife any way I get the knife and the safety did not work.I called the guy the same day that I got the knife he said he would have to charge me to fix it on a brand new knife I buy alot of knives but I will never call this dealer again.
calabrese

Post by calabrese »

See that is what Im talking about I need a dealer that will send you a good working knife. for him to charge you to fix a knife that he sent you is crazy. Im sure roadside will take care of this exchange since he said that I made a better choice in sending more money for th Frank B 5mm 11" and one good thing that was a plus he calls you right back not all dealers do this.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

jsolo wrote:I know what you mean about showing repect I got a knife from a maker on the good list on this site.I had got file work done also so it wasnt a cheap knife any way I get the knife and the safety did not work.I called the guy the same day that I got the knife he said he would have to charge me to fix it on a brand new knife I buy alot of knives but I will never call this dealer again.
I'm interested in knowing who this dealer is. Sure not what I would consider "good ones" behavior.
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

whippersnapper wrote:
jsolo wrote:I know what you mean about showing repect I got a knife from a maker on the good list on this site.I had got file work done also so it wasnt a cheap knife any way I get the knife and the safety did not work.I called the guy the same day that I got the knife he said he would have to charge me to fix it on a brand new knife I buy alot of knives but I will never call this dealer again.
I'm interested in knowing who this dealer is. Sure not what I would consider "good ones" behavior.
Ditto, would like to hear the dealers side of the story on this one.
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
AutoMan

Post by AutoMan »

Calabrese, just for future reference I have several in my collection where the Frank B. is very faint. They are NOT knockoffs. Frank B.s are notorius for a light tang stamp.

AutoMan
calabrese

Post by calabrese »

Automan, that was the least of my problems with that knife but thanks for the reply.