WWII Italian Switchblades

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
champ

WWII Italian Switchblades

Post by champ »

I'm a WWII historian, and have read plenty of accounts of US soldiers acquiring switchblades while in Italy during WWII. I never have seen one (other than USGI Schrades) in the personal effects of a veteran however. Does anyone here have pictures of a WWII era Italian made switchblade you could share with me? Just interested in what they were like at the time.
orangeboy

Re: WWII Italian Switchblades

Post by orangeboy »

Generally speaking, they would have most likely looked similar to one of these 2 diff. varieties.

The stiletto pictured here could be post-war (1946-1949), but it's about what one would have looked like. If the GIs
bought them brand new between 1937 to about 1947 (with none probably being actually made during the deeper years of the war),
this is what you would expect.

The knives from the 1930's and before have some different features and
many times are seen with stag handles. So if they bought a used knife
the knives would be a bit different.
Attachments
11Wasp.jpg
11Wasp.jpg (31.64 KiB) Viewed 12986 times
D Piscitelli Frosolone 25cm.jpg
D Piscitelli Frosolone 25cm.jpg (28.34 KiB) Viewed 12992 times
Italian and USA Doctorate in Cutlery Research, PHD
Italian and USA Masters in Cutlery Research, PHD
lars

Post by lars »

Two absolutely awesome examples of pre 50s switchblades.
Thanks for posting, Orangeboy! :)
Belmont800

Post by Belmont800 »

I have a smaller (6 inch) stiletto with black-horn handles labeled Ring Cutlery B Svoboda Italy that a vet purchased...no idea if the story is true or not, it came from a reputable source but one can never tell -- It is not in as good a shape as the ones pictured, but looks "Right".

I will post pics (I need to pick it up and bring it to my home to take a few so give me a day or 2)
Belmont800
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

champ wrote:I'm a WWII historian, and have read plenty of accounts of US soldiers acquiring switchblades while in Italy during WWII. I never have seen one (other than USGI Schrades) in the personal effects of a veteran however. Does anyone here have pictures of a WWII era Italian made switchblade you could share with me? Just interested in what they were like at the time.
Hello Champ,
As a fellow WWII enthusiast, I am curious about this too. I have never heard of an Italian switchblade in the personal effects of a vet either, but I am sure some were brought back. I do know that the Luftwaffe flieger-kappmesser gravity knife was a popular war trophy. A vet gave me one years ago and I have another one that has the capture certificate with it.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Belmont-
Your "Ring Cutlery/Svoboda" was imported to the US and sold by the Liberty Organization.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

One thing you should keep in mind regarding items that came from vets or a vet's estate is that it does not mean that he brought it back from the war. For example, I read an online article somewhere about German helmets, and it stated that just because it was obtained from a vet did not guarantee the helmet was all original and unmessed with because he could have bought it a garage sale in 1972. I sold a Luftwaffe belt buckle in the 1990s to a WWII vet. I don't know if the vet is still alive, but if his family found the buckle, they would probably assume that he brought it back from the war.
Belmont800

Post by Belmont800 »

Bill DeShivs wrote:Belmont-
Your "Ring Cutlery/Svoboda" was imported to the US and sold by the Liberty Organization.

Definitely thanks for the Info! I had no idea about the Liberty Organization connection. It is VERY possible that this is exactly what happened, a WWII vet collecting some genuine Italian stilettos in the US that were made for export. I felt like the "Ring Cutlery" mark pretty much made it a sure thing that it was made for export to the U.S. -- but we love our stories :D Thanks for the correction Bill and Panzer :D
Belmont800
pappy57

Post by pappy57 »

That first picture should be hung in an art gallery!!! Just an incredible image of an in incredible knife!!!
Belmont800

Post by Belmont800 »

pappy57 wrote:That first picture should be hung in an art gallery!!! Just an incredible image of an in incredible knife!!!

NO DOUBT!!!!!
Belmont800
niceguy2

Post by niceguy2 »

thats a beauty , flawless picture :D
22ORANGE

Post by 22ORANGE »

I have a friend wanting to trade me two A&k switchblades that he claims his dad brought home from Italy WWII. One is 4" and one is 7". They look outstanding. How can I know if they are genuine and what they are worth?
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

22ORANGE wrote:I have a friend wanting to trade me two A&k switchblades that he claims his dad brought home from Italy WWII. One is 4" and one is 7". They look outstanding. How can I know if they are genuine and what they are worth?
If the knives in question are stamped AKC instead A&K then they were most likely made in the last 10 years.
22ORANGE

Post by 22ORANGE »

they both have A&K italy brand
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

There are A&K marked knives. Not a common stamp. I think I read they were an importers stamp, but I'm not the expert around here on the older stilettos. Hopefully somebody else will help you better.

Pictures would help.