New Missouri Switchblade Law

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Viking45

Re: New Missouri Switchblade Law

Post by Viking45 »

I'm with you Mike. I am not loosing any sleep over any new law. It's just a shame something so remote get's dug up out of nowhere and suddenly becomes an issue and this only puts the thoughts in the law's mind...kind of "refreshes" their memory so-to-speak.
Panzerfaust wrote:I have often said that if they ban firearms I would destroy them myself before I surrendered them, and the same goes for my knives. The end result would be the same, but at least I would not suffer the humiliation of surrendering my collection.
Amen to that Panzer.
Chrisadamley

Post by Chrisadamley »

javacupper wrote:Recently Missouri passed a new law favorable for firearms and ammunition and lowering the age for acquiring a CCW license. What I just learned from Blade Switcher is that the law also changes the existing knife law starting on August 24 making possession of a switchblade a Class A felony, period. The current knife law says owning and carrying a switchblade is illegal but there is an exception for curios, mementos and collecting. When they wrote the new bill the exceptions for switchblades were completely left out. After learning this and looking farther, I did notice that Doug Ritter of Knife Rights is aware of the change and planning on working on a solution. Starting tomorrow I quess I'll start bugging some state legislators. :evil: I've got 28 days before I become an outlaw :twisted:
That is kind of sneeky for them to just throw in in there.

If it does pass, have you thought about just getting a ccw?

I know in my state if you get a permit to conceal a weapon it includes all dangerous weapons. So i could carry a switchblade if i wanted, even though without the permit its illegal to carry. I could also carry a full length sword as long as its concealed lol.
Gunner7

Post by Gunner7 »

As far as feeling that all is safe in my house, or in any ones house. I think of the tale of Doc Rocket. Unfortunately, that could be any of us. All it takes is one foul up.

Doc Rocket a free man !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Doc Rocket » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:25 am
Markco the Mad otter

Post by Markco the Mad otter »

Chrisadamley wrote:
javacupper wrote:Recently Missouri passed a new law favorable for firearms and ammunition and lowering the age for acquiring a CCW license. What I just learned from Blade Switcher is that the law also changes the existing knife law starting on August 24 making possession of a switchblade a Class A felony, period. The current knife law says owning and carrying a switchblade is illegal but there is an exception for curios, mementos and collecting. When they wrote the new bill the exceptions for switchblades were completely left out. After learning this and looking farther, I did notice that Doug Ritter of Knife Rights is aware of the change and planning on working on a solution. Starting tomorrow I quess I'll start bugging some state legislators. :evil: I've got 28 days before I become an outlaw :twisted:

I know in my state if you get a permit to conceal a weapon it includes all dangerous weapons. So i could carry a switchblade if i wanted, even though without the permit its illegal to carry. I could also carry a full length sword as long as its concealed lol.
In Ohio, CCW is for a gun only, no knives! In a way, be sort of funny to be carrying both and be nicked for a knife....well not funny ha ha ha
SNAP, SNAP, SNAP!!
Chrisadamley

Post by Chrisadamley »

Markco the Mad otter wrote:
Chrisadamley wrote:

In Ohio, CCW is for a gun only, no knives! In a way, be sort of funny to be carrying both and be nicked for a knife....well not funny ha ha ha
Hmm i guess i have to correct myself,....where i live the law still says i cant carry a switchblade....though i CAN carry as many guns as i can conceal, swords, battle axe......but not a switch blade.

I really dont understand that i guess.....i am literally legal to carry 10 guns on me fully locked and loaded....but i can't carry a switch? hmmmm.
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Chrisadamley wrote:Hmm i guess i have to correct myself,....where i live the law still says i cant carry a switchblade....though i CAN carry as many guns as i can conceal, swords, battle axe......but not a switch blade.

I really dont understand that i guess.....i am literally legal to carry 10 guns on me fully locked and loaded....but i can't carry a switch? hmmmm.
Mr. Adamley,

I wish I had that problem here in commie-central. Is a CCW required in your state, or can you just carry them concealed? I had a job offer in your state, but I'd rather stay put. If I ever move again, it'll be just up the road in Oregon where switchs are legal to buy & sell.

Best regards,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

I realize that most folks live where their family or jobs have led them, and I am sure if that if I lived in a state that banned switchblades, I would still collect them anyway, but I will say this: I would never move to a state that did not allow me to own the guns and knives that are in my collection. And as far as switchblades, this does not apply to only so-called "commie states." New Mexico for example is pro-gun, as far as I know, but possession of switchblades is banned, so I would never move there.
javacupper

Post by javacupper »

As a followup, the MO legislature passed the bill which amends the gun and knife law to exclude switchblades from the banned weapons list in Missouri. Here is what I received from KnifeRights:

May 19, 2012: At the request of Knife Rights, the Missouri legislature has passed SB489, repealing the ban on possession, sale and manufacture of switchblade knives in Missouri as long as it is not "in violation of federal law." In practical terms all that means is that you cannot do so in interstate commerce or on Indian reservations or elsewhere that federal regulations may prevent such activities.

SB489 now moves to the desk of Governor Jay Nixon. It is important that the Governor hear from you. If you are a Missouri citizen or work or recreate in Missouri, please call or email Governor Nixon and politely request that he sign SB489. Since it is the end of session and the Governor has a pile of bills on his desk, you don't need to add anything else, just "please sign SB489." If from out of state, do add why he should care what you think, e.g. you work or recreate in the state. This one of those times when less is more.

Phone: 573-751-3222
Email may be submitted at this link: http://governor.mo.gov/contact/

Knife Rights' lobbyist worked closely with the NRA to have this law introduced as an amendment to a Concealed Carry bill the NRA was working on and we'd like to thank the NRA for their help in getting the law passed out of the legislature.

I ask that anyone from Missouri who reads this send an email to Governor Nixon as stated above!
The only thing I take seriously in life is death but I haven't gotten there yet!Image
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

I can't believe I am saying this but I would rather take a sledge hammer my knives than see the cops take them only to know my hard earned money and years of collecting ends up in the hands of someone else.
You darn well know they wouldn't sit on a shelf somewhere for the rest of eternity nor would they be destroyed in the name of justice.

...While we're on the subject, has anyone here ever had an automatic knife from their collection "collected" by a taxpayer-paid, badge-wearing thief?
Mike030979

Post by Mike030979 »

JimBrown257 wrote:
I can't believe I am saying this but I would rather take a sledge hammer my knives than see the cops take them only to know my hard earned money and years of collecting ends up in the hands of someone else.
You darn well know they wouldn't sit on a shelf somewhere for the rest of eternity nor would they be destroyed in the name of justice.

...While we're on the subject, has anyone here ever had an automatic knife from their collection "collected" by a taxpayer-paid, badge-wearing thief?

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

If you mean a police officer confiscating any knife because they think you shouldn't have it? I'd never hand it over. Switchblades are 100% legal in NH to carry with no restriction. However, if they weren't legal, and I had one in my car and I was stopped and they asked to search...I'd never give consent. But to answer your question...no..I've never had that happen. :)
turbo_dog

Post by turbo_dog »

JimBrown257 wrote:...While we're on the subject, has anyone here ever had an automatic knife from their collection "collected" by a taxpayer-paid, badge-wearing thief?
yep- but they were illegal in the state I was in, and he didn't charge me, so I assume he kept it. He may have turned it in at the station. I'll never know. Personally, I would prefer that he "stole" it from me and didn't charge me with a crime, than get charged with it and it ending up being destroyed.

If I hadn't been pulled over for DUI, he never would have had a reason to find it. What's the old saying? "Only break one law at a time" Lesson learned!
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

I had an experience with this that makes me sick just thinking about.

I'll write it out when I have a little more time.
novice

Post by novice »

javacupper wrote:
At the request of Knife Rights,
Is this a national organization like the NRA?
skinny

Post by skinny »

turbo_dog wrote:
JimBrown257 wrote:...While we're on the subject, has anyone here ever had an automatic knife from their collection "collected" by a taxpayer-paid, badge-wearing thief?
yep- but they were illegal in the state I was in, and he didn't charge me, so I assume he kept it. He may have turned it in at the station. I'll never know. Personally, I would prefer that he "stole" it from me and didn't charge me with a crime, than get charged with it and it ending up being destroyed.

If I hadn't been pulled over for DUI, he never would have had a reason to find it. What's the old saying? "Only break one law at a time" Lesson learned!
I've learned that one, myself. ;)
...even though balisongs are technically NOT MENTIONED in any statute in MD... :x
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

novice wrote:
javacupper wrote:
At the request of Knife Rights,
Is this a national organization like the NRA?
Yes
http://www.kniferights.org/