New Missouri Switchblade Law

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
niceguy2

Re: New Missouri Switchblade Law

Post by niceguy2 »

WOW , i just read all the posts .....it seems to have been a case of asleep at the wheel when written ? is someone gonna come door to door and TRY to take peoples collectables ? i think NOT !!! whos got the revenue to enforce that ? ther to busy fighting crime :lol: Oh wait ....were the criminals now :shock: IMO its B.S. but probably could be enforced if someone was gettin all stupid & shit , but be cool - no probs,,,,, i hope . i dont usually comment on law enforcement issues . hopefully someone with some pull will advocate in your / our behalf . Later guys ,,,back to the grind .
Midnight Drums

Post by Midnight Drums »

javacupper wrote:As a followup, the MO legislature passed the bill which amends the gun and knife law to exclude switchblades from the banned weapons list in Missouri. Here is what I received from KnifeRights:

May 19, 2012: At the request of Knife Rights, the Missouri legislature has passed SB489, repealing the ban on possession, sale and manufacture of switchblade knives in Missouri as long as it is not "in violation of federal law." In practical terms all that means is that you cannot do so in interstate commerce or on Indian reservations or elsewhere that federal regulations may prevent such activities.

SB489 now moves to the desk of Governor Jay Nixon. It is important that the Governor hear from you. If you are a Missouri citizen or work or recreate in Missouri, please call or email Governor Nixon and politely request that he sign SB489. Since it is the end of session and the Governor has a pile of bills on his desk, you don't need to add anything else, just "please sign SB489." If from out of state, do add why he should care what you think, e.g. you work or recreate in the state. This one of those times when less is more.

Phone: 573-751-3222
Email may be submitted at this link: http://governor.mo.gov/contact/

Knife Rights' lobbyist worked closely with the NRA to have this law introduced as an amendment to a Concealed Carry bill the NRA was working on and we'd like to thank the NRA for their help in getting the law passed out of the legislature.

I ask that anyone from Missouri who reads this send an email to Governor Nixon as stated above!

I sent Mr Nixon my email......
Hopefully it will help.

Mike
javacupper

Post by javacupper »

Yesterday, July 10, both Missouri bills that contained re-writes of the knife laws, SB 489 & HB 1647, were signed into law by Governor Nixon. According to the NRA-ILA SB 489 contains an emergency clause so the bill went into effect on signing. Switchblades are now excluded from the banned weapons list in Missouri. "A person commits a crime if such person knowingly possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs, or sells...Any of the following in violation of federal law:(a) A machine gun; (b) A short-barreled rifle or shotgun; (c) A firearm silencer; or (d) A switchblade knife." Since the federal law does not prohibit possession and carry of switchblades except on Federal territories, it is now legal to possess and carry a switchblade in Missouri. I do not suggest testing the law unless you have plenty of time on your hands to prove your knowledge of the laws in court. At this point the law does not seem to have dealt with preemption so it is still possible to run into problems with local laws.
The only thing I take seriously in life is death but I haven't gotten there yet!Image
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

That is great news! Now, if we could just get the federal law appealed.
AKcollector

Post by AKcollector »

as long as you dont get arrested or searched for weapons (which im pretty sure they cant do without your consent) you should be fine carrying. :twisted:
`MURICA
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

I do not suggest testing the law unless you have plenty of time on your hands to prove your knowledge of the laws in court
That's always the rub. Legality means nothing if the police don't actually know what the laws say (they won't). Even if the law is on your side, it will take you a lot of money and at least a year before you get anything returned.
as long as you dont get arrested or searched for weapons (which im pretty sure they cant do without your consent)
...Are you familiar with this small town on the Eastern Seaboard called "New York City"?
AKcollector

Post by AKcollector »

haha sorry i live in alaska ive only been to the lower '48 a couple times, i forget how strict they are down there.
`MURICA
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Down in the States it seems like people have just become so used to the things the police do that they don't even realize how outrageous it is. They will pull people over, ask them if they can search their vehicle, then use the fact they said 'no' as reason to search the car.

Then, if they confiscate anything, you can file a complaint or even a lawsuit. You might even get your stuff back. Then you pay your several thousand dollar lawyer bill and the cops continue to do it to other people with absolute impunity.

Too many people have the attitude of "Well, if you aren't doing anything wrong, what do you have to worry about?" or "If the police are involved he must be doing something wrong."
Last edited by JimBrown257 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKcollector

Post by AKcollector »

^thats what i was trying to say but something stupider came out :lol:
`MURICA
john

Post by john »

The country needs to follow NH's lead ALL KNIVES ARE LEGAL. I don't know if any other state can make that claim.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

The country needs to follow NH's lead ALL KNIVES ARE LEGAL.
...But haven't you read about the hundreds of stabbings that have occured every day in New Hampshire since they legalized switchblades!?!

I mean, I haven't read about them but I have to assume they are occuring. If the people have knives with springs in them, it's really the only logical conclusion.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

JimBrown257 wrote:
The country needs to follow NH's lead ALL KNIVES ARE LEGAL.
...But haven't you read about the hundreds of stabbings that have occured every day in New Hampshire since they legalized switchblades!?!

I mean, I haven't read about them but I have to assume they are occuring. If the people have knives with springs in them, it's really the only logical conclusion.
Quote from an article:
New Hampshire owns one of the nation’s lowest crime rates.

But that New Hampshire advantage is a disadvantage for residents of Hispanic origin. The Granite State has one of the nation’s highest per-capita rates for jailing Latinos.

Criminal justice experts say the state’s low crime rate might have to do with a culture in the state that holds people accountable for their actions.

The high incarceration rate for Latinos might have more to do with economics and with unintentional and subtle rather than outright discrimination, experts say.

According to the most current U.S. Census Bureau statistics available, New Hampshire in 2009 had the third-lowest rate of violent crime, a rate of 169.5 violent crimes per 100,000 people. Maine had the lowest rate, and the District of Columbia the highest, with Nevada second highest.

I find it a shame our Nation's Capital has the highest rate of crime.
young cutlery

Post by young cutlery »

Im sure that im not the only one who feels this way but i can open a standard folding knife just a hair slower than a swichblade. And I can draw a fixed-blade faster then digging a swich outta my pocket.
Im not tring to promote kids carrying a swichblade. but COME ON. has the goverment not realized that ALL of the swichblade laws are made because of the bad image hollywood sheds on these types of knives
Although i am farly new to collecting i am in love with it, and some of the people ive met who share this passion with me are the nicest people ive ever met
just wanted to voice my opinion
Hell yeah brother
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

YOUNG CUTLERY, your dealing with polititians, that means your dealing with freakin IDIOTS !!!
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
young cutlery

Post by young cutlery »

Tryker
cant argue with that
My first thought on the laws was that them being made in the 1950s was that maby they kinda forgot about the law. BUT NOW THERE MAKING THEM WORSE lucky i live in Texas, so im not affected by this, but it still angers me,

does putting a button and a spring on a knife make it any more dangerous?
does giving us glass windows make you want to go write an essay?
Absolutey the same
Hell yeah brother