Best auto for actual utility use?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
cexshun

Best auto for actual utility use?

Post by cexshun »

About 2 years ago, I purchased an Italian Stiletto from SKM. Although the shipping was terrible(I payed the extra cash to have it delivered in 2 weeks and it still took a month), the knife was a great knife and excellent quality. However, after opening it for hours on end, I got bored with it. Stilettos aren't practical to whip out of your pocket when you need to cut something, at least not for me.

The Boker German Switchblades at Tiny's look like they'd be good for this, but I figured I'd ask the experts first.

So my question is, what would be a great everyday use auto? I'm not cutting wood or anything, but if I need to open a package, cut a box, cut some rope, everyday stuff like that. Also, what would be the best place to get that knife? Has SKM gotten their act together in the past couple of years?

Thanks for any advice!
Last edited by cexshun on Sat Sep 13, 2003 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

cexshun,

Welcome to the forum! You are right in that stilettos aren't the most practical switchblades for actual use, although they are my favorite to collect.

I assume that you are referring to the Boker Toplock conversions. For a decent actual use switchblade these are an outstanding value in my humble but correct opinion. They are well made and solid.

Depending on your size preference, a Microtech Mini-UDT ia also an option. It is mini, which some of us love and some of us hate.

Jim
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The Massaro Leverlocks are also very nice.
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

cexshun,

For the ultimate stiletto get a ProTech Godfather. For the best EDC get a .................I'll PM you because these guys make fun of me. :wink:

The Falcon :D
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

The Falcon wrote:cexshun,

For the ultimate stiletto get a ProTech Godfather. For the best EDC get a .................I'll PM you because these guys make fun of me. :wink:

you can't do that! :lol: !
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

If Godfather is too big, try the Godson.
[Too much $$? Get the Ralph/Wilson Tactical]
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

aren't those pretty close in price anyway? (wilson tactical and godfather)

my EDC auto would be one of my mini udt's, razor sharp, and a sturdy little knife you won't even notice in your pocket....but i choose to carry a spyderco instead, the man in blue can't take that away from me :D
ratstuph

Post by ratstuph »

Cexshun(?)-
Do you really want an auto, or do you want a knife that opens quickly? In the latter case Mr. "Dog-threatener" could be right. And why does that dog still look surprised? If you want a knife that is kinda legal to carry, and quick, you might want to consider a spring-assisted something-or-other. I like the Kershaw Boa myself. Others here prefer the Blackout or Whirlwind. However, if you really want an auto, how much do you want to spend? You can get a throwdown Boker Magnum for around $25 on BA, but it won't likely resonate with your knife collecting soul like a good leverlock, or the others mentioned here. Utility and passion don't always intersect.
bladerat...
Last edited by ratstuph on Sat Sep 13, 2003 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sheep-free since '93'...
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

mr cexshun - forgive me for not welcoming you sooner...

the ratmaster makes a very good point - and i'm glad to hear he finally got that beartrap off his ass :lol: by the way don't count out the scallion from kershaw if you go spring assist, for the dollar it's as fast or faster, and has a blade locking mechanism....

anyway yes, you have to consider how much you want to spend, but keep in mind, and i'm sure there will be oposition to this, but in my opinion you get what you pay for...

also a leverlock is probably the best italian EDC you could choose, i'm sure mr vagrant could tell you which one has the best blade for a serious EDC.
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

I assume that you are referring to the Boker Toplock conversions. For a decent actual use switchblade these are an outstanding value in my humble but correct opinion. They are well made and solid.
mr jim, if you buy the bokers from KS, they are factory auto's not conversions. you used to be able to tell by the thumb notch, but now a lot of the conversions have top lock blades bought in germany without the thumb notch.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

mrbigg wrote:aren't those pretty close in price anyway? (wilson tactical and godfather)

my EDC auto would be one of my mini udt's, razor sharp, and a sturdy little knife you won't even notice in your pocket....but i choose to carry a spyderco instead, the man in blue can't take that away from me :D
I had the Tactical for about $30 less than the GF.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Welcome cexshun
Asking what's the best is always a fun way to get a discussion going here.
There are so many types that agreement "ain't going to happen". All the suggestions have their points. If you see any agreement on the topic it is more likely to be on what is NOT a good idea. For all there beauty and "class" the typical Stiletto is not really a great "working knife". One thought that may not be perfect but describes the qualities of varous types is.
Italian knives have "Soul"
German knives have "Character"
American knives have "Guts"
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

Mr. cexshun,

Welcome to the forum..... I have no opinion of my own on the matter as I just collect 'em .....

Best wishes
Teddy
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

Teddy wrote:
I have no opinion of my own on the matter
Well, get one, dammit! :wink:

I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

The Falcon wrote:
Teddy wrote:
I have no opinion of my own on the matter
Well, get one, dammit! :wink:

Hmmmm... I reckon that would involve buyin' lots of different types of knives..... cuttin' all sorts of stuff with 'em over a long period of time..... and then tryin' to decide which was best overall........ naaa! I think I'll pass.... :lol:

Best wishes
Teddy