Where to sell knives?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Where to sell knives?

Post by tr4252 »

Some may have noticed that I put 3 knives up for sale recently, and one a few months ago. The response hasn't been too encouraging; I can understand that, times aren't good.

Can anybody suggest a venue I could use where I can reach buyers? I'd hoped to continue to make knives, and make enough profit to at least continue at it because I love creating these things. But with no way to sell them it's pointless, I have enough of a collection that I don't need to make them just for myself. God knows, the investment it took for me to get this far wasn't small.

So, if any of you have an idea or two, it would be most welcome.

Tom
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
redeye

Re: Where to sell knives?

Post by redeye »

Tom try the Sharperdeal network the auction site hsa sa huge following and it will get your knives seen by more buyers than most of the forums will. there are a lot of buyers that are on the auction site that do not go on any of thre forums at all. thats where i would try if i was you. i sell and buy a lot on there and bob runs a tight ship so there is a support system if ya need help with anything he is "da man"

heres a link http://www.sharperdeals.net/
I am the KING of LATAMA collectors HAHAHAHAHAHAHA {EVIL LAUGH}
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Tom,

I agree with Freddie.

Jim
turbo_dog

Post by turbo_dog »

I agree as well, but you may also want to think about trying selling at BladeForums. I'm not sure how much a membership costs to get the benefit of selling as a maker, but I do know they get an awful lot of traffic there. You could probably list your stuff on the "Autos for sale" and/or the "for sale by maker" subforums.

EDIT: A "Knifemaker" membership is $50; a "Gold" membership is $25, but probably wouldn't allow you to sell in the knifemaker section.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

In the knife selling business it takes word of mouth. Most of the makers still have to physically go to the shows and get out there. Your location probably rules that out locally.

I think forum participation is helpful, but TalkBlade might not be the best forum for marketing your knives. Just not big or busy enough.

I bet you could find a few of the bigger online shops to help (Nick comes to mind), although they may want a commission.
tr4252

Post by tr4252 »

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll give it a try.

Tom
javacupper

Post by javacupper »

How about a site like http://www.arizonacustomknives.com/ I have bought from them but don't know their selling procedures. I know that they do consignments and handle some high end knives.
The only thing I take seriously in life is death but I haven't gotten there yet!Image
horizonod

Post by horizonod »

Tom. We don't do consignement sales but we sell a knife or two and have always been interested in offering new, unique items to our clients as well as supporting knife makers. I've watched that knife come along for a good long time and have always liked it. We would be interestred in showcasing them. Let me know. PM incoming.

Take care. Nick
“Truth will always be truth, regardless of lack of understanding, disbelief or ignorance.”

HORIZON BLADEWORKS: http://www.nicnac.net . LOW KEY perveyor of HIGH TECH cutlery.
tr4252

Post by tr4252 »

Thanks Nick. I appreciate the offer and will PM you as soon as I can find a few minutes. I'd enjoy working with you.

Tom
tr4252

Post by tr4252 »

I'm grateful for all the support and advice I've recieved. This forum has been very good to me, I appreciate it more than I can say.

Tom
john

Post by john »

Hi tr4252,
I agree with everyone who has told to try http://www.sharperdeals.net/

John
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
13blades

Post by 13blades »

I am replying to this post late but I just want to say that I greatly admire what you are doing and having gotten as far as you have automatically earns my respect. I have had designs to become New Zealand's first switchblade maker and the more I research it the bigger and harder it becomes. Every little part of these knives can be much more complicated than people think. The design first of all and the manufacture next. It seems there are an endless amount of options and possibilities to every aspect of the knife. Mechanism, material, design, style, production method, and then of course sales and marketing. This part is much harder due to the stigma surrounding these knives. It cant be easy. I admire your progress so far and I wish you the best. I just bookmarked your website and plan to show visitors your work. We do not have the ability to buy any as they are a prohibited import in our country. But perfectly legal to make and sell within ;)
I may end up messaging you soon with questions. You have already done many of the things I am just starting to discover.

Good luck

Manny
tr4252

Post by tr4252 »

Thank you Manny. Glad to compare notes, if you wish.

Tom