Manhattan DA Goes Undercover at Knife Shop

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Re: Manhattan DA Goes Undercover at Knife Shop

Post by Vagrant »

Liberal IDIOTS always need to DO SOMETHING :roll:
Usually it involves LIMITING your rights :idea:
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I posted this in the "off topic" section almost two weeks ago when it first broke. This has caused many knife sellers to stop shipping to ALL NY now. There is a ongong fight which I hope will be won....

http://talkblade.info/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15083
heviarti

Post by heviarti »

I wish trucking would treat cali like that...

My take is thus, get everybody carrying axes, or shovels, or something else they can't be denied. Make it known the tool they carry is protest. Soon all will have them. Use it as a springboard to a vote.
I walked a mile in my enemy's shoes.... And then I stole his shoes.
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Leftist bastards. This is why, with the overturning of the Chicago Gun Ban, people are trusting the "powers that be" less and less.

No s#it.
Fishtail Picklock
horizonod

Post by horizonod »

My understanding of NY switchblade law is that it is legal to posses and carry and automatic knife in NY if a person is in the act of hunting or fishing and they posses a valid hunting or fishing license.

If this is the case, how can a DA make a case that these knives are illegal? Most of the knives weren't even autos. I can't believe these huge retailers would buckle and pay all of these fines and penalties.
“Truth will always be truth, regardless of lack of understanding, disbelief or ignorance.”

HORIZON BLADEWORKS: http://www.nicnac.net . LOW KEY perveyor of HIGH TECH cutlery.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

The NY State law bans the sale of switchblades and gravity knives. It bans possession too ( anywhere even your house), but there is an exception for having them for use while fishing, hunting and trapping with a valid license ( this was to grandfather ones already owned, but that was not clearly written). With that explained, it is not legal to sell one to someone for any reason, other than a police or peace officer for his offical use. NY has allowed any knife that flicks open ( even holding the blade and flicking the handle) to be considered a gravity knife. The sale of these ( gravity knives and switchblades) are illegal. I did not see any switchblades either, but I did see knives that could easily be flicked open. I also saw Assisted openers that are clearly not switchblades, but the DA called them by that name and no one objected....
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Most people [even large companies] do as their lawyers advise :roll:
A lawyer can advise them to plead guilty and charge them $$$$$$
[and try for a suspended/reduced sentance]
Or if he is "looking for a cause [fighting for principle]" defend the hell out of them :wink:
In that case he may actually charge fewer $$$$ :idea:
I still owe my Attorney $$$ but, far less than several people who paid to have THEIR Attorney advise them to plead guilty [and got fined and a record] :idea:
I STILL have a perfectly clean record, that is worth $$$ 8)
blades1860

Post by blades1860 »

I find it hard to believe that the DA of Manhatten has nothing more to do than check knives at REPUTABLE stores. His actions are nothing more than harassment, intimidation and extortionist. What an A hole!
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

blades1860 wrote:I find it hard to believe that the DA of Manhattan has nothing more to do than check knives at REPUTABLE stores. His actions are nothing more than harassment, intimidation and extortionist. What an A hole!
The "Big Apple" is "rotten to the core."

The defense... rests.

Scott
Fishtail Picklock
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

AT LEAST SOMEONE GETS IT RIGHT:

WI DA Rejects Enforcement of Anti-Gravity Knife Statute

Jackson County, Wisconsin, District Attorney Gerald R. Fox has concluded that last week's Supreme Court decision in McDonald v. Chicago invalidates a number of state statutes regulating firearms and knives. As a result, Fox has concluded that the states anti-switchblade and anti-gravity knife statute will no longer be enforced by his office.

The following is from the Press Release issued by Fox:

Yesterday, in a resounding victory for all freedom-loving Americans, the United States Supreme Court confirmed that the Second Amendment’s protection of our right to keep and bear arms applies everywhere in America, and serves as a rampart against state infringement of this fundamental individual liberty. In its ruling, the Court declared that the right to keep and bear arms is a fundamental right, and that self-defense is at the core of the freedoms protected by the amendment.

This Supreme Court ruling is binding on all states and local governments, and immediately renders some of Wisconsin’s current laws unconstitutional. Therefore, in keeping with my oath to uphold and defend the Constitution, I hereby declare that this office will no longer accept law enforcement referrals for violations of the following statutes:

Section 167.31, prohibiting uncased or loaded firearms in vehicles;
Section 941.23, prohibiting the carrying of concealed weapons, including firearms;
Section 941.235, prohibiting the possession of firearms in public buildings;
Section 941.237, prohibiting the possession of firearms in establishments where alcohol may be sold or served; and,
Section 941.24, prohibiting the possession of knives that open with a button, or by gravity, or thrust, or movement.

Read the complete Press Release here: http://bit.ly/d7Euzz

It appears that this is one District Attorney who gets it. Perhaps New York's Cyrus Vance, Jr. will take note.

We won't hold our breath...
horizonod

Post by horizonod »

They are playing "let's contrive a crime". (scarry) Isn't there enough REAL crime in NYC ? Somebody should lambaste the bastard for wasting taxpayers money on this kind of crap and point out the unimportance of issue then file a Federal PICO suit against the DA for extortion.
“Truth will always be truth, regardless of lack of understanding, disbelief or ignorance.”

HORIZON BLADEWORKS: http://www.nicnac.net . LOW KEY perveyor of HIGH TECH cutlery.