Hubertus 8cm Staghorn Needs Help

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Steve Smith

Hubertus 8cm Staghorn Needs Help

Post by Steve Smith »

I have a Hubertus 8cm Staghorn that has blade wobble and now the stupid thing won’t open all the way most of the time.
The blade had slight wobble when it came new out of the box. I tried to tighten it by peening the pin but it’s like it made it worse and I think THAT helped start the “won’t lock-up” issue. It also caused a paper thin gap between the brass-liner (lever side) and the center metal (blade width) piece.
It looks like I've messed it up trying to tweek it.
Does anyone have some helpful information to share on how I can correct these issues myself.
TIA
All the Best,
Steve
Steve Smith
Richmond VA
whippersnapper

Re: Hubertus 8cm Staghorn Needs Help

Post by whippersnapper »

Bill deshivs is the official Hubertus repair guy. I'm sure he will see your post soon, Steve.

Figures a bad Hubie post would turn up, since I said something good about them 3 days ago.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The backspring pin should be properly peened to minimize that gap. Not sure if this is something you should do, considering your experience with the blade pin.
The kickspring should be fully seated. They work out of their slot, causing opening problems.
The blade pin should be properly peened with the blade in the 1/2 open position.
Not having the proper understanding of the relationship of all these parts, added to unskilled peening can be a disaster.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Steve Smith

Post by Steve Smith »

Thanks for the quick responses.
I DID replace the kickspring - though it never felt as snug as I thought it should.
The factory had sent me a couple free replacements – both are this way.
Are there any tips for tightening this?
Unskilled – yes sir you are correct … with total respect due ... please don’t that think I’m un-teachable.
At your mercy with best wishes,
Steve
Steve Smith
Richmond VA
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Steve Smith wrote: The blade had slight wobble when it came new out of the box. I tried to tighten it by peening the pin but it’s like it made it worse and I think THAT helped start the “won’t lock-up” issue.
TIA
All the Best,
Steve
The most likely cause was, you used a hammer that was too big/heavy and bent the pin in addition to peening it [imo].
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Steve,

One alternative is that you could send it to Bill who will fix it properly.

Jim
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Try to insert a small pocket type screwdriver in front of the spring. With the rear bolster on a firm surface, try hitting the shank of the screwdriver with a small hammer to drive the spring back further in the slot. Further peening of the backspring pin should close the liner gap, straightening the liners. This will remove the binding at the pivot, but you do run the risk of the scales cracking.
Once all this is accomplished, get back with me and we'll address the blade wobble.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.