Help""

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
leighdog

Help""

Post by leighdog »

Ok guys,im just about ready to crack""I have some brand new swingers i bought a month ago and i checked them when i received them and they were nice and straight.Now it seems like the blades on them are no longer straight.They veer off to the right or left.I noticed the liners on some seem like they are off causing the blade to veer.My air cond is on most of the time now due to the socali heat.I have left them closed and inside ziploc bags to keep the dust and dirt out of them.Do you think if i let them get warmer they will come back in line?I think i may have asked this before but i cant remember due to old age i guess.I will listen to any ideas that will help out.
Gort

Re: Help""

Post by Gort »

Are they horn scales? Horn can dry (and shrink irregularly), this can put enough strain on the liners to
pull the blade alignment out. With your AC on most of the time, you've likely got drier air. Keeping them
sealed in baggies should keep the horn from drying out though. Sometimes a mineral oil soak will
rehydrate the scales, and the blades will realign.

leighdog wrote:Ok guys,im just about ready to crack""I have some brand new swingers i bought a month ago and i checked them when i received them and they were nice and straight.Now it seems like the blades on them are no longer straight.They veer off to the right or left.I noticed the liners on some seem like they are off causing the blade to veer.My air cond is on most of the time now due to the socali heat.I have left them closed and inside ziploc bags to keep the dust and dirt out of them.Do you think if i let them get warmer they will come back in line?I think i may have asked this before but i cant remember due to old age i guess.I will listen to any ideas that will help out.
-Gort
leighdog

Post by leighdog »

One is dark horn and the other is white pearlex.I have opened them up and removed from the bags.Just weird how a straight knife goes off like that.To bad they dont make a mold of some type to put them in to keep them straight.
Gort

Post by Gort »

Well, "pearlex" shouldn't be affected by moisture (or cold other than maybe getting a little more brittle) something else
must be going on. Metal in general can have a memory. I guess the liners could be returning to a condition
previous to when the knife was assembled. If so, you should probably just accept the warp. You can try heating the
knife and truing it up, but I wouldn't advise it. The whole bag thing should be good (at least for the horn), but it might
also trap moisture and maybe cause rusting. I've never bagged any of my knives, but most do sit in a fairly well sealed
display case (in a very dry climate). I've only had horn knives get unture.
leighdog wrote:One is dark horn and the other is white pearlex.I have opened them up and removed from the bags.Just weird how a straight knife goes off like that.To bad they dont make a mold of some type to put them in to keep them straight.
-Gort
leighdog

Post by leighdog »

I thank you for the help.I will keep them open and put them in a display case and seal it.Maybe some oxygen absorbent will help also.I remember someone telling me that.Humidity has been above normal lately here.