my new Schrade auto conversion

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Gerber02

Re: my new Schrade auto conversion

Post by Gerber02 »

Hey Bladecrazy that Schrade Auto Conversion has a solid spine or open like a Boker Magnum? Can you post a picture of the top area near the safety? Gerber02 :D
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Open like the Boker Magnum/Kalashnikov.
Very similar in almost all ways.
A few bucks more but, probably justified [if the "ghass-breaker" is important to you] nice knives 8)
Gerber02

Post by Gerber02 »

Thank's for the reply Vagrant. Are the Typhoons and so called "New Age" knives solid or bushings? Everyday EDC I carry Gerber02 Combat Knife. I was told that these knives are so strong that you can literally pound the knife into cement and it will not break! That's why I picked up my Gerber. Do you think these knives are well worth the money? GERBER02
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The only "New Age" I have any experience with, is the Mangusta [the lowest cost one] it is solid.
The others are definately more "upscale" but no clue about construction :?
Gerber02

Post by Gerber02 »

I wish someone that makes these knives would do a solid spine knife like my SOG TAC Auto or my Spyderco Embassy. I can deal with the Magnum series, however solid construction like an AFO or 5000 is more classy. Gerber02
bladecrazy

Post by bladecrazy »

Gerber02 wrote:Hey Bladecrazy that Schrade Auto Conversion has a solid spine or open like a Boker Magnum? Can you post a picture of the top area near the safety? Gerber02 :D
Here are the pictures as you requested. The knife has a better feel than the Boker Magnum series.. lockup is more firm and the safety is a lot smoother. A few bucks more but still worth of the extra bucks spent. The handle color is not black but more like gun metal gray aluminum anodized.

I have played the Sog's auto at a local knife shop and like it as well. Very well made auto indeed. But autos are autos. do not intend to abuse it like you do on a fixed blade knife and it will last for a long time.

Gerber02

Post by Gerber02 »

Bladecrazy: Yes, I am to agree with you on all counts. But working knives are working knives and when it comes to hard use - these may be the ticket. Basically my knife will look battle hardened in a mere year or two. So a replacement is always in the works. And I do like the pictures you had sent. Thank you very much for taking the time to show me all angles of your knife. Gerber02
bladecrazy

Post by bladecrazy »

Gerber02 wrote:Bladecrazy: Yes, I am to agree with you on all counts. But working knives are working knives and when it comes to hard use - these may be the ticket. Basically my knife will look battle hardened in a mere year or two. So a replacement is always in the works. And I do like the pictures you had sent. Thank you very much for taking the time to show me all angles of your knife. Gerber02
Yes, seems like you are using your knives quite often which is not a bad thing. Knives to you are more like a practical tool than just a collection or something that you buy coz you have the urge.. You know what I am saying? :twisted: I am sure ppl here would love to see some of your knife reviews or experiences on the knives you have owned.
Gerber02

Post by Gerber02 »

Tanto blade is great for law enforcement work. Great to stick to a chunk of controlled substances and then dump into a test kit for positive confirmation. Glass breakers are great for those on the road and come up on accidents. Yes, many times doors will not open and no matter what you're training is - you feel like a helpless soul doing their best to channel fragmented ideas into a coherient plan of rescue. I've seen horrendous auto crashes with peoples extremities (such as feet) hanging off by a thread of flesh and near death - shock setting in. Got to be able to extract these poor souls from their hell - the trapped vehicle, door can't seem to open. Get primative, a glass breaker is in short order. Then there is the co-workers who beg a worker for his knife. Yes, I've been known to give a Benchmade Auto Stryker away. But that was to a blond hair, blue eyed female officer who is fun to work with. I even got flattered and the knife has given her good luck. Right now, it's my Gerber02 Combat knife. Carried Boker Magnums, Benchmade AFO's, Benchmade Strykers, Boker "Police". Now that kicks so hard, the Boker Police is a bit silly to work with. It makes me laugh that any one buying an auto for work would buy a Pearl Protec dagger with the exception of keeping it in the box and hording the same. Collector yes, work knife no. The glassbreaker is what makes this knife so attractive and so does the price. The knives are getting better and so is the prices. Gerber02