Limited Editions & serial numbers

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
button_man

Limited Editions & serial numbers

Post by button_man »

A couple months ago, I purchased six 11" spring-knives from another collector - - (2) are Frank Beltrame and (4) are Walt's Latama.
All six knives are marked with serial numbers, and presumably were made as some sort of Limited Edition(s).

The Beltrames are marked (ricasso / reverse side) with a three-digit number and the year "2011" (e.g. 039 / 2011).
The Walts are marked (ricasso / reverse side) with a three-digit number and the year "2012" (e.g. 039 / 2012).
(No two of the actual serial numbers are alike on any of the six knives.)

I cannot seem to find any information online regarding the structure of these series; for instance:

Are all four Walts from the same numbered series in 2012? Or were there several different series?
If so, what are the parameters for each series? For instance, is the stag in an entirely different series from the horn?
Is the black tactical dagger blade in a different series than the mirror polish dagger blade?
What specifications were used to differentiate the knives in one particular series from other series bring made?

I have no idea if these four knives all belong to one single series; or two, or four, or what.....
--not to mention the fact that I am completely in the dark as to exactly how many knives were produced for each series;
-- and which years had these Limited Edition numbered knives (i.e., are some made EVERY year? –or just some years?)
--and what percentage of total annual production consists of numbered knives vs. standard, non-numbered knives?
(All of these questions apply to the Beltrame knives also.)

For reasons that I do not understand, none of the manufacturers of numbered knives offer the slightest shred of information on them to the collectors who spend significant sums of money on their merchandise. I sent this inquiry to Walts yesterday and am waiting to see if they reply; in the meantime, I would greatly appreciate any information that others might have on this subject. It seems like an issue that would be of importance to collectors; but I don't think I've ever seen it discussed..... especially by the knife-makers. Why all the secrecy? If I'm spending $300 for a knife, you better believe that it matters to me whether it's one of 50 or one of 500.

JulesVane

Re: Limited Editions & serial numbers

Post by JulesVane »

You sure did the right thing contacting Walt Halucha. Can't think of anyone who would possibly know more.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
button_man

Post by button_man »

It's been two weeks, and not a peep from the folks at Walt's.

I don't understand why the sellers don't seem to grasp that Limited Editions can be a valuable merchandising tool.
If a company like Walt's created a web page detailing their various LEs, how many knives were produced for each LE,
what the standards or parameters were for each LE, etc. it would draw traffic to the site; increase collector interest;
and almost certainly bolster sales.

Instead, it seems like Walt's, Beltrame, etc. are determined to guard this information as if it's top secret. What's the point?
Is it really that hard to understand that promoting LEs with user-friendly databases will increase their profits?

NorthCarolinaDude

Post by NorthCarolinaDude »

Agreed brother. Gun companies work similarly but fans and collectors can usually start those databases and sometimes the manufactures will come online with the program and start doing better with documentation and input. I've also seen it in the collector car market, lists like Galen Govier's and such. Registries are a good way for folks to start, the companies will support those registries if they see them succeed and grow. Peace. Scott.