Why is there 'junk' in the World?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
sammy da blade

Post by sammy da blade »

Teddy, i hope you got a good LCC clone, i used to work in a large factory where i sold autos. those LCC clones were the only knives i ever had problems with! some were good and some were not! don't fall into deep water with it in your pocket, those things are heavy! if you got a good one you did get your moneys worth!
thuggin -N- buggin, that's how i roll!
Gonzo_Beyondo

Post by Gonzo_Beyondo »

$5-$10 for a decent folder, $10-$20 for a decent bali or auto, those are prices that make knife collecting fun.

some folks would never buy em, some folks would never drop a mortgage payment on a knife, to each their own... and if it was'nt for clones, i would'nt be a knife-nut right now buying Microtechs.

that's not to say i don't still own plenty of clones, and i would still selectively buy some too... but i find $20-$30 kershaws, bucks, and gerbers a nicer value these days. And it goes up from there.

There is a place for clones in this hobby, those who never figure out that they're at the bottom of the barrell will simply remain there, and they provide alot of guys (flea-market sellers/collectors) with the money to buy the expensive knives.

the folks on the bottom should be treated with the same respect, and offered the same knowledge, as the folks buying $2,000 customs.

Thats just how it should be, we're all equal, and we're all on one level progressing to the next (with help!). We need those levels to sustain us. Let's all promote the growth of this hobby, and avoid trying to divide it.
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Mr. G.B.,

Very well stated, sir!
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

There's a place for everything. I may prefer the 1st class stuff but that's because I "worked my way up" and there's still a long way to go after factory items. Limited editions, custom modified, custom made etc. the fun never ends.
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

Gonzo_Beyondo wrote:$5-$10 for a decent folder, $10-$20 for a decent bali or auto, those are prices that make knife collecting fun.

some folks would never buy em, some folks would never drop a mortgage payment on a knife, to each their own... and if it was'nt for clones, i would'nt be a knife-nut right now buying Microtechs.

that's not to say i don't still own plenty of clones, and i would still selectively buy some too... but i find $20-$30 kershaws, bucks, and gerbers a nicer value these days. And it goes up from there.

There is a place for clones in this hobby, those who never figure out that they're at the bottom of the barrell will simply remain there, and they provide alot of guys (flea-market sellers/collectors) with the money to buy the expensive knives.

the folks on the bottom should be treated with the same respect, and offered the same knowledge, as the folks buying $2,000 customs.

Thats just how it should be, we're all equal, and we're all on one level progressing to the next (with help!). We need those levels to sustain us. Let's all promote the growth of this hobby, and avoid trying to divide it.
on the microholics board you stated that you wouldn't "have" to buy clones for such knives as spyderco or benchmade just to name a few...well not only are there clones of these brands, but the origonals are not cheap either, and not much less than the MT LCC you are whining about! even the cheapest benchmade folders are $50-$60 bucks, and there bali's start around $100, their auto's around $150...

hey no one disrespects those who don't buy expensive knives, but you should show some respect for the quality and crafstmanship that goes into knives that are more expensive....if everyone thought like you, there would be no US knife industry - how can they compete with cheap offshore labour and substandard materials? do your country a favor and BUY US MADE!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

" do your country a favor and BUY US MADE!"

In addition to everything else of course. [One Hubie-one Benchmade, one Italian-one MT, one Boker-one Paragon etc.]
.45acp

Post by .45acp »

Drop a mortgage payment? Hell I’m living in a shack now, send more knives!

Steve
.45acp

NRA Life Member
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

A Man who has his priorities right!!!!
ratstuph

Post by ratstuph »

Meester Beeg;
On one hand, yes; on the other hand (fortunately, I still have two), not exactly. Of course most of the high-end knives are way-cool and well worth the money, and the wait to get the money together. HOWEVER (are you listening youngster?), were it not for the cheap, shoddily made, likely to break in an unexpected moment, and open in my pocket slicing my fuzzy nuts-clone, I would not have chosen to spend the large amount of dollars (and that's American dollars, not some across-the-border loony rendition) necessary to purchase my MT LCC. I really, really like the original and agree that it is well worth what I paid for it. I also agree that the clones are likely to be iffy. HOWEVER, had I never thrown the clone-dollars down a rat-hole, there is no way I would have ever gotten close to thinking the original is worth the money. It is! So, both you and Mr. Theatre are correct. BUT, since I noted the two of youse guy's correctness, I am more correct. :)
...tsup...[/i]
sheep-free since '93'...
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

well i don't know who the hell this meester beeg guy is :wink:
- i will say that for you i think that's rat-tastic - i just hope everyone has the same experience....just don't forget, a lot of the MT's and other "higher end" knives are made in limited quantities, so while you suckers are fattening up your collections on clones, those of us who know better will be buying up the good ones piece by piece....

check out where this topic is at on the MT forum....
http://www.microholics.org/cgi-microhol ... =1252&st=0
bigfifty

Junk Or Is It ?

Post by bigfifty »

Well I'm having a ball watching how this thread has grown and twisted. You, mostly, have made good points. But as originator of this discussion, I feel a comment from me is in order. When I decide to spend my hard earned dollars; on say a new car, I look at what is available. Don't worry about price yet. ( I know that I can only afford a Chevrolet ) So I get brochures from Rolls Royce, Jaguar, Cadillac, Mercedes,Ford and Kia. Now, I look at how the top of the line builds their car and how the bottom builds theirs. After all, both are designed to do pretty much the same job! I look at many aspects of the different models and what they offer AND WHAT THEY LEFT OUT OR CHEAPENED, so as to produce their product. Then I see how much I am WILLING to spend and what features I am WILLING to forgo. Only then do I consider the price. You not only look at the bottom price tag but..... What did the company sacrifice?? Remember with a car, my life is on the line everytime I get behind its wheel...... So, back to the knives. If its life is to be spent as a letter opener, then anything will do. ( I use a 9" Picklock ); if its life is spent in a display cabinet, then any type you collect is alright; if you want to pick out stones from car tires, then anything will do; but when I slip a knife in my pocket, to go out, then its not anything less than the best that I am able to find and affordability takes a back seat. I 'carry' so a knife is a secondary weapon, maybe......Depends on the circumstances of the moment and the job that I expect it to do. Take care, Bigfifty
Mr_Guano

Post by Mr_Guano »

mrbigg wrote:well i don't know who the hell this meester beeg guy is :wink:
- i will say that for you i think that's rat-tastic - i just hope everyone has the same experience....just don't forget, a lot of the MT's and other "higher end" knives are made in limited quantities, so while you suckers are fattening up your collections on clones, those of us who know better will be buying up the good ones piece by piece....

check out where this topic is at on the MT forum....
http://www.microholics.org/cgi-microhol ... =1252&st=0
...those of us who know better...
...you suckers...

Aren't we good enough?
Why do you drag things over to other forums?
Why o why can't people just buy whatever they want and just look the other way when others again buy stuff you wouldn't buy?

Mr_G
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

mr_G,

let me apologize if i've offended any members, but that wasn't my intention....i know that you don't have to spend gobs of cash to get a good knife....i have cheap knives we all do.....i think this thread may have got a bit out of hand, and i regret dragging it trans forum...on the other hand where else would you get the best expert MT opinion? in fairness i should have given the "clone" forum fair airtime...but wait... :lol:

to each his own, to clone or not to clone.....that sounds like a whole new topic! :wink:
LordChunkyFat

Post by LordChunkyFat »

This is my first post here and i am saying hello! :)

I am a big microtech fan among other quality production knives and i back up the makers and all the hard work they poor out into there product. I have carried and used a real lcc for a year and when i saw the first clone i was kind of mad. Why do people have to clone a knife that was thought up by hard working respectable people. Would you like your great ideas taken and then cheapend in every way?? I wouldnt. But not just the lcc is cloned, alot of quality knives are. like striders emersons and even cold steel and spyderco. Emerson is already on top of the man cloning his knives. There is an old saying "buy quality and you will only cry once." But i am not against buying cheap knives. I am against buying cloned knives. The lcc clone i played with at a gun show was to put it in to a few words dangerious, It opened just by touching the knife!!! and this guy was wanting 50 bucks for it!! I payed 135 for my lcc from a forum meber and it was worth every penny. Just looking or playing with a high quality knife like microtechs and useing them over time are two diffrent things. The microtech is a knife i could put through hell and it would still come out like it was never used. i have had many cheap knives and i would never go back. You do get what you pay for 9 out of 10 times. I am not trying to get under anyones skin and being new here want to have a bad impression. But be carefull!! I started out with a boker liner lock, thinking 40 bucks was alot, this week i am going to dish out 400 for a Strider Sng and i am going to use the hell out it!
Last edited by LordChunkyFat on Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

welcome lordchunkyfat,

i think we are thinking along the exact same lines....i too have a few boker linerlocks, great knives for beating the crap out of and sharpening often :wink:

enjoy the forum there's something here for everyone!