what looks really nice in person?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
slaytanic_cfh

what looks really nice in person?

Post by slaytanic_cfh »

hey guys me again.. i dont know as half as much as you guys do about switchblades.. im gonna order two more for myself but im havin trouble on what ones to get.. iv got my mind set on a "cheap" black 9 inch for use/play and another "better" 9 inch for show. I have my eye on the briar wood 9 incher, looks really nice to me but i was wondering if any of you guys who have the same knife have any pics of it???

one more question.. a money order is the same thing as using a credit card pretty much right? i dont have a card i can borrow and pay the person off this time.. i try to stay away from credit cards :D

thanks
Roccomo

Post by Roccomo »

Any current stiletto is cool looking, try the 11 inch size.

As far as the MO vs. credit card. They are not the same at all. You buy a money order with cash (you have no card) so your items are paid for then and there. With a credit card you don't have to have the money at the time of purchase. It's a good idea to stay away from credit cards because the debt you mount up with one is about the worst kind.
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

mr slaytanic,

i personally don't have any "wood" scaled stiletto's in my collection, for some reason they just don't appeal to me. get yourself a horn handled 9 or 11 incer, you'll appreciate the solid feel.

the only benefit to using a credit card is convenience, it's faster to pay online with a card, than to make a special trip to the bank, then the post office, then you wait for them to get it.....bah! as long as you pay them off within the month, they aren't too evil :wink:

good luck deciding............
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

slaytanic,

mr bigg makes a good point about credit cards vs money orders, and Roccomo explained the difference However, I understand that some people have their personal reasons for not wanting to use credit cards. The convenience of using a credit card is much greater, time wise, with international purchases than with domestic ones.

Using a Money Order only adds a few days to a domestic purchase. Also, if you purchase regularly from a seller, and/or establish a trusted realtionship with a seller, there may be no time difference. For example, I recently purchased two knives from an extremely well known seller here on the forum. As soon I told him what I wanted, he shipped them. It is possible that I had the knives before he had the money. Be aware that this is the exception, not the rule. Most sellers want the money before they ship the merchandise. This does not present a risk to the buyer if trusted sellers are used. We can help in this area.

mrbigg,

I totally agree with you about wood scaled stilettos. I do have one sim briarwood SKM 9 incher, but naturally it has the feel of acrylic.

Jim
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

thats awesome Jim... I have a few sellers that will do that for me and I give them as much business as I can-
On Topic-
Horn is a great way to go, but if your looking for something less expensive, I like the basic black on a switch... Its classic imo.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
slaytanic_cfh

Post by slaytanic_cfh »

hey thanks guys!

i had an 11 inch white acrylic but i thought it was kinda big.. nice knife but it was alittle to long for me.

the honey horn looks very nice to, is it as bright as white acrylic? but with black swirls in it?

thanks again :D
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

well, honey horn is a natural product of course, so it varies... but generally it has a creamy caramel look to it w/ some dark brown swirls... its truly a beautiful material, especially for the italians...
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

mr jim,

one time i ordered a few dozen knives from FB, including a 15" blonde bayo. he shipped me the two packages a couple days before he was off to a knife show somewhere......three days later (no sh*t) the packages were on my door. after the next weekend, i got an e-mail from frank that someone in his shipping department had accidentally re-shipped the whole order while he was away at the show.....FB said....no worry - you pay me when you can..... :lol:

i love that man :shock:

Post by 666 »

May I add something about credit card vs. money order. When you send someone a money order, it's like sending cash...you have no protection. When you use a credit card and have a problem with a merchant, and believe me..it happens, you can stop the payment until the problem is resolved. Credit cards have their good points and bad. When I was young, I used an American Express...This card had to be paid in full at the end of the month...I don't know if that's still the case these days. If you can pay off the card at the end of the month, you won't have any interest to pay, and you can start to build up your credit rating, which is good when you get older and want to take out that loan. I had a trick many years ago when I was into buying and selling antiques and didn't want to take out a loan. I had 20 credit cards....on each one, I was able to take out about $1000 cash from the bank. To have $15 to $20, 000 dollars interest free to buy with each month was great. You just had to make sure the cards were paid off at the end of the month.
"Do What Thou Wilt Shall Be The Whole Of The Law"
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

that's a good point mr 666, if a money order gets lost - you're S.O.L. - but with most CC companies, you have some protection and sometimes full insurance. as long as you realize it's not "free" money, you'll be ok!

my wise grandmother once told me that if you can't afford to buy it with cash, you can't afford it.
the spotlight kid

Post by the spotlight kid »

With money orders in my country there is a charge.If I get one from my bank it's around the $20 plus mark.Give me credit or direct debit cards anyday.Also with credit cards you have no time to change your mind and think about silly lttle things like the mortgage repayment! :lol: Cheers the spotlight kid. 8)
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

the spotlight kid wrote:With money orders in my country there is a charge.If I get one from my bank it's around the $20 plus mark.Give me credit or direct debit cards anyday.Also with credit cards you have no time to change your mind and think about silly lttle things like the mortgage repayment! :lol: Cheers the spotlight kid. 8)
Hear hear Mr. SK..... spoken like a TRUE addict. :D

Best wishes
Teddy
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

In the USA we have both bank and US Postal Service Money Orders (and perhaps others too). My bank does not charge for money orders. However, I use USPS M.O.'s for the convenience. The envelope, stamp, and act of mailing the M.O. can all occur there at the Post Office. There is a nominal charge; less than $1 for the M.O. Additionally, there is protection that most prople are not aware of. It is a federal offense to tamper with or violate the conditions of agreement surrounding a USPS M.O. (and we all know what happens to those that aggravate US Postal Workers :lol: :lol:

I use a credit card sometimes, but it is in the name of both myself and my wife. She pays the bills and scrutinizes all charges against the card. Therefore, using a M.O. has the same result as sending the packages to a trusted neighbor: maintenance of domestic tranquility.

Jim
Sakugenken

Post by Sakugenken »

If you want the convenience of a credit card without the debt, why not try a debit card. You open a checking account and get a card that looks like and can be used like a credit card but the money comes out of your checking account. I also don't like credit cards (a painful memory that) and I found this to be a good solution. I am on my second one (I recently changed banks)
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

i personally don't have any "wood" scaled stiletto's in my collection, for some reason they just don't appeal to me.

The "Real" Briarwood is beautiful and worth the expense on a display knife, but keeping it from getting dark and dirty is impossible in the pocket. It also feels great which makes it hard to leave it in a case and not use it.