Good italian leverlock?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Vagabund

Good italian leverlock?

Post by Vagabund »

Hi,

What do you think about the quality of this switchblade? Maybe I want to buy it... It' produced by italian switchblademakers. Can someone tell me why it have a nail-nick? It's a switchblade!
Merry Christmas to all!
butch

Post by butch »

I had that exact knife theyre pretty nice but if you intend to use it for heavy work you might want to try something different the gaurds on these are stamped theyre not solid.
Last edited by butch on Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

So that if the spring breaks, you can still open it.
Bill
Last edited by Bill DeShivs on Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Or could it be possible it is the same blade used onna manual knife?
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

It's possible, but that isn't the reason.
Bill
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Solid bolsters would make these MUCH more desirable [and useful] :!: but let's face it, how many people still use old paper shells in a 16 guage [like me] and how long will my supply of shells last :?:
When I first saw these advertised I was excited but when I got one and tried it on a shell I was disappointed :(
The extra couple bucks that solid bolster would cost would be worth it, to people like me but, I doubt it would sell enough more knives to make it worth it to the maker :?
[Even if you make the worlds best buggy whip, how many can you sell :lol: ]
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

It seems to me that any company that would incorporate a feature into their product that couldn't be used unless said product breaks (which it shouldn't) certainly doesn't have much confidence in the quality of their merchandise...

Also, it appears to be poor marketing strategy when a potential customer can tell, with a quick glance, that the manufacturer of a product expects it to prematurely break...

On the other hand, it makes perfect sense to me that a manufacturer, making two different, but similar products, would find it advantageous to use a generic part that could be interchanged between both.
JerrBear
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

There are other reasons that you should be able to figure out.
Bill
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

I was just workin' on this... :P
Bill DeShivs wrote:So that if the spring breaks, you can still open it.
JerrBear
butch

Post by butch »

wether I actualy used a shotpuller or not Id still like to see these with solid bolsters they would make them a lot more desirable to the collecter and worth the few extra bucks to buy them. 8)
krakenten

Shell puller

Post by krakenten »

If I'm not mistaken, the shell pullers are for emergency use, to extract burst or sticky shells.
The 16 gage is popular in Europe, and in wide use today.
The old Edge Company sold this blade in a standard leverlock handle, and I had one-that sucker was sharp!
Wish I still had it.
Since the pullers are mostly for show-or at least to make the crossguard look gnarly-the knife will do as well as any.
I think the nail nick might be to camoflage the auto open, but I can't think of any other reason, unless it's because there is a manual version, and I've seen a few Italian lever lock gravity knives over the years.
Always made me wonder, too.
I also wonder why there are so few gravity knives, these days, I love them!
Life has no value, Death has a price
Vagabund

Post by Vagabund »

The same knife have an another version. It costs 10 Dollars more. The stag of this is real, not imitation, but I don’t know if it’s solider or better than other. I also can't find until now any answer why it have nail-nick. But I think it can't be to camouflage, because nobody can overlook the lever and no nonautomatic pocketknive have a lever...
This is the page of the firm. Maybe you can find any explikation about nail-nick...
http://www.skm.to/pages/skm/pager/a/hsieg4.html

Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Do you guys notice TWO pins in the rear bolster? If you take one of them out, the spring comes out.......
Bill
j.a.c.

Post by j.a.c. »

8)
Vagabund

Post by Vagabund »

Bill DeShivs wrote:Do you guys notice TWO pins in the rear bolster? If you take one of them out, the spring comes out.......
Bill
Yes, sure! But this is not a speciality of shellpullers. You can make the same thing with many other levers and they haven't nail nick :!:
This one for exemple