My Latest AK-47 build

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
bunkyz52

My Latest AK-47 build

Post by bunkyz52 »

Hello everyone, this is my second attempt at building an AK-47 Soviet prison knife. Liners, bolsters and other assorted parts are copper. Blade is from a purchased Damascus bar. Anyone care to guess what the contraption with the skull insets for? 😊🗡
Attachments
20200526_120525_compress53.jpg
20200526_120525_compress53.jpg (783.94 KiB) Viewed 2790 times
Happy collecting/building to one and all. :D
skirmish

Re: My Latest AK-47 build

Post by skirmish »

It’s a lever for adjusting the spring ?
bunkyz52

Post by bunkyz52 »

Hello skirmish, that's pretty close. A picture's the best way to describe it. It's a time and pain saver
Attachments
20200507_200815_compress82.jpg
20200507_200815_compress82.jpg (527.88 KiB) Viewed 2734 times
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Lol, I don't think out friends here are going to appreciate what's going on there. The bar that pulls the blade open has that spring connected to it. When it is not installed in the liners the spring is longer than that cut out space it fits into. So squeezing it in is pretty tough. The two prong prying piece pushes the copper piece off the lock pieces to pop the spring into the cut-out area.

I notice on this one the angles of the lock and copper piece go the other way than on typical AKs. It seems like the bottom half of the bar could easy pop out of the cut-out area with the pieces angled that way. Is there something keeping them in place?

I also have to ask: why did you make the prying piece so fancy?
bunkyz52

Post by bunkyz52 »

Maybe I need to post the schematics, there's a thru pin in a slot midway of the pull bar that not only holds the whole spring/pull bar assembly in place, it puts pressure downward. As far as why such a fancy "pry bar"... It's a gag gift for a friend who lost their pointer finger pulling someone from a car wreck. It's not for prying anyway, it's for compression
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

The ram horn and the copper do look great together.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

I got it that the pin through the lower part of the lock is attaching the bar to the knife but without something else blocking it the bar can still pivot so the bottom half comes out of the cut out area. On most AKs, the block at the top of the spring is angled the other way and that blocks it from coming out. Does the very bottom of the blade prevent the top of the bar from coming in?
bunkyz52

Post by bunkyz52 »

I'm using plans from a Russian book and I don't read Russian. It'll solve a lot of questions. I'll be glad to pass it on.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Lol, I used that book too. Actually, there is one pic that shows all the individual pieces. I used that pic and just made all those pieces and assembled them.

Are you planning on making the rocker like the original ones, where the button is on the top and the sear is on the bottom? If so you want to be sure you can put the sear as far to the left (outside) as possible. That way you can have the sear hole (a long groove on the original) as far on the inside of the blade as possible. That lets you have a larger grinded area.
picklocksrock

Post by picklocksrock »

Sweet knife. I also like the blade profile on this one, it looks nice and sturdy and thick! Good job man keep up the good work. 😃 👍
“Tough times never last, but tough people do”
-Robert H. Shuller