Rizzuto estileto milano knife

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
sammy the blade

Re: Rizzuto estileto milano knife

Post by sammy the blade »

Doesn't hurt to ask. Never know, they may still have them.
2024 candidate for president
JayK

Post by JayK »

JulesVane wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:06 am ...well, one thing's for sure. The newer members sure do dig deep into the older threads, which is a good thing! But, sure does throw me off thinking it's a new thread! lol
LOL Im one of those guys that reads older threads, found this while trying to research the history of my Rizzy. Pretty sure its Japan had a quote/unquote Facebook expert tell me its from the 50s or 60s but Im not 100% buying that estimate my guess would be 70s but these are not my thing. Opinions appreciated and no it does not peek!
Attachments
1 rizzy closed.jpg
1 rizzy closed.jpg (63.68 KiB) Viewed 4801 times
1 rizutto open.jpg
1 rizutto open.jpg (81.16 KiB) Viewed 4801 times
1 riizzuto stamp.jpg
1 riizzuto stamp.jpg (104.56 KiB) Viewed 4801 times
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

It's my understanding, and I'll SURELY be corrected if I mis-understand, that the Italian swinguards came out in the 1960's. Giving the Japanese something to copy. They had already copied the Italian picklocks in the 1950's. So, I'm fairly sure they could not have produced the Rizzuto Estileto Milano in the 1950's. I THINK the Japanese REMs were produced in the 60's and 70's, and then the Korean's cloned those in the 1980's. JimBrown257 is our resident expert on this subject and I'm sure can set us both straight. I'm also interested to know about the smooth bale (bail?) vs. the decorative bale (bail?).

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Maltese flatguard

Post by Maltese flatguard »

JulesVane wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:05 pm It's my understanding, and I'll SURELY be corrected if I mis-understand, that the Italian swinguards came out in the 1960's. Giving the Japanese something to copy. They had already copied the Italian picklocks in the 1950's. So, I'm fairly sure they could not have produced the Rizzuto Estileto Milano in the 1950's. I THINK the Japanese REMs were produced in the 60's and 70's, and then the Korean's cloned those in the 1980's. JimBrown257 is our resident expert on this subject and I'm sure can set us both straight. I'm also interested to know about the smooth bale (bail?) vs. the decorative bale (bail?).
That’s correct. In the book I’m putting together on the Japanese knives, I’m actually not even going to call many of the knife Rizzutos. That was one marking of dozens of stamps found on them. They were Japanese knives. Rizzuto was only popular because they were sold to American tourists in Mexico. But in Europe and other places they had various other stamps.
JayK

Post by JayK »

JulesVane wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:05 pm It's my understanding, and I'll SURELY be corrected if I mis-understand, that the Italian swinguards came out in the 1960's. Giving the Japanese something to copy. They had already copied the Italian picklocks in the 1950's. So, I'm fairly sure they could not have produced the Rizzuto Estileto Milano in the 1950's. I THINK the Japanese REMs were produced in the 60's and 70's, and then the Korean's cloned those in the 1980's. JimBrown257 is our resident expert on this subject and I'm sure can set us both straight. I'm also interested to know about the smooth bale (bail?) vs. the decorative bale (bail?).
that's what Im seeing too, but you know the Internet, for every 100 posts that say the sun comes up in the east theres gonna be at least 2 that claim it comes up in the west!
JayK

Post by JayK »

Maltese flatguard wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:43 pm
That’s correct. In the book I’m putting together on the Japanese knives, I’m actually not even going to call many of the knife Rizzutos. That was one marking of dozens of stamps found on them. They were Japanese knives. Rizzuto was only popular because they were sold to American tourists in Mexico. But in Europe and other places they had various other stamps.

Im new to switchblades relatively speaking so I absorb a lot of information but as I replied before I try to filter what I learn and where I learn it from as best I can.

I think theres some sort of cult following for these knives. All Rizzutos Ive seen (which may be half a dozen) just don't seem to be made as well as the Italians some are no doubt Taiwan copies of a Japanese copy of an Italian "style" as you noted for "tourists" to buy as novelties. Id probably be much happier with a real Mexican switchblade like a Panamex…(theyre not made in Mexico either are they LOL)
Maltese flatguard

JayK wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:51 pm
Maltese flatguard wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:43 pm
Id probably be much happier with a real Mexican switchblade like a Panamex…(theyre not made in Mexico either are they LOL)
Panamex were ultra high quality knives made by the Coriama group. Panamex was located in the same building as Latama on Broadway in NYC.

And there are tons and thousands of Japanese swing guards around. Just google search and you’ll see an endless number of them. They key to collecting them are two things. Finding them in mint shape and finding oddball models.
JayK

Post by JayK »

Maltese flatguard wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:33 pm
Panamex were ultra high quality knives made by the Coriama group. Panamex was located in the same building as Latama on Broadway in NYC.

And there are tons and thousands of Japanese swing guards around. Just google search and you’ll see an endless number of them. They key to collecting them are two things. Finding them in mint shape and finding oddball models.
The key to collecting for me is not trying to find rare models or make a profit by reselling, to me its only about collecting what I like. Gun and knife collector for over 50 years juat got interested in switchblades recently.

I tried to trade this for something Id like but they forced me to sell for cash go figure!
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I remember seeing a few photos of Japan made Rizzutos with green and blue handles. Anyone else see them? Charlie am I correct they were made in those colors? I know the Korean made lever action ones came in several colors.
Maltese flatguard

Tom19176 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:16 pm I remember seeing a few photos of Japan made Rizzutos with green and blue handles. Anyone else see them? Charlie am I correct they were made in those colors? I know the Korean made lever action ones came in several colors.
Black, red, ivory, white, two different greens...JimBrown knows of all of them
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

I believe there's a rare blue as well.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Thanks...Jim ?
Scotchman

Post by Scotchman »

What does a real Italian Rizzuto or whatever they are called look like, anyone here have one that could post some pics?
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

GUNNAR is the man with these he has an exstentsive collection and i believe he had posted a blue one at one time.
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I looked through Gunner posts but couldn't find a blue one, But I also remember seeing one. Seems Gunner has not posted in years. Anyone hear from him?