Cold Steel Black Bear machete handle mod

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
kwackster

Cold Steel Black Bear machete handle mod

Post by kwackster »

Yesterday i gave this Black Bear machete a contoured handle with a "fuzzy finish".
Next will be a resharpening of the factory edge.

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

Next to my vintage Western Bowie, which already is quite a big knife:

ImageImage
john

Re: Cold Steel Black Bear machete handle mod

Post by john »

They look way cool.
Is the blade on the black bear 12 inches plus handle?
Your Western Bowie knife looks fabulous I really like the look of the clipped point blade.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
kwackster

Post by kwackster »

The overall length of the knife (handle + blade) is 45,2 cm or 17.8 inches, while the blade alone measures 30.8 cm or 12.13 inches.
Blade thickness on my example is 2.89 mm, and there is nothing flimsy about it.

The old Western Bowie is one of my own favorites as well, both because of the knife's timeless design and the high quality blade steel.
kwackster

Post by kwackster »

The Cold Steel Black Bear machete is something of a crossbreed between a short machete & a bowie knife, and imo because of the untapered fairly thick & rigid blade and the resulting overall weight this model is better suited for chopping branches and smaller trees than light brush or brambles.

These machetes are manufactured for Cold Steel by Lasher Tools in South Africa from very well hardened 1055 carbon steel that is extremely tough.
Not only are they practically indestructible, but once resharpened they will also take & hold an almost unexpected good edge.
Straight from the factory they are however completely blunt or not even apexed, and what "edge" there is is also burnt due to uncooled and sloppy machine sharpening.
It will take some time and elbow grease to put on a good convex edge that will showcase the true quality of these blades, but i have found that to be more than worth it.
The original polypropylene handle on this Black Bear was both too thick and too slick for my taste, so out came the wood rasp again.
The difference in handling & grip after the contouring with the fuzzy finish is literally night and day, and the best part is that you only need one simple handtool to do it.
Very useful piece of equipment with a good price to quality ratio for bushcraft, garden maintenance, and last but not least home defense.

Mods on this one:

- Polypropylene handle contoured and "fuzzy finished"
- Factory edge slightly reprofiled & resharpened to an armhair shaving convex edge (apex now lies between 30 and 35 degrees inclusive)
- Factory swedge slightly reprofiled & resharpened to an armhair shaving convex edge (apex now lies between 35 and 40 degrees inclusive)

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

Specs:

Overall length: 45,2 cm (17.8 inches)
Blade length: 30,8 cm (12.13 inches)
Blade thickness: 2,89 mm
Steel type: 1055 carbon steel with baked-on anti-rust coating
Handle material: polypropylene plastic
Weight 510 grams
Sheath: Cor-Ex with tip protector