Fresh Trout

Use this area for any discussion on sporting knives in general, but also hunting, fishing, diving, and similar.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Viking45

Fresh Trout

Post by Viking45 »

Just had to share this- My neighbor just brought over a huge plate of fresh trout. He was out front frying it in his propane fryer.
I have my mouth full as I type this 8) It was caught here in Southern Missouri in Lake Taneycomo.
The water is fairly shallow, cold and crystal clear. It is long and winding like a river but it's a lake.
Nothing like fresh fish especially trout.
Attachments
Lake_Taneycomo_Branson.jpg
Lake_Taneycomo_Branson.jpg (315.14 KiB) Viewed 12286 times
Taneycomo 1.jpg
Taneycomo 1.jpg (232.02 KiB) Viewed 12287 times
Lake-Taneycomo-Fall-c.jpg
Lake-Taneycomo-Fall-c.jpg (722.71 KiB) Viewed 12287 times
lake-taneycomo-map-lg.jpg
lake-taneycomo-map-lg.jpg (124.01 KiB) Viewed 12287 times
Viking45

Re: Fresh Trout

Post by Viking45 »

I wanted to mention that every time I have been to Lake Taneycomo I see a lot of Blue Herons down there.
Sometimes in the dozens but they are always alone in the shallows scooping up small fish.
They are truly a majestic bird especially in flight.
Attachments
Great_blue_heron.jpg
Great_blue_heron.jpg (126.47 KiB) Viewed 12264 times
BlueHeron.jpg
BlueHeron.jpg (38.37 KiB) Viewed 12266 times
BlueHeron2.jpg
BlueHeron2.jpg (116.06 KiB) Viewed 12266 times
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

It looks beautiful!

I grew up living on lakes and fished all the time. When my now wife and I first got into a serious relationship and I decided to move into her place,I gave up my cottage I haven't fished in a long time....Well, except taking grand kids to wet a line off a bridge that runs over a small creek on our road.

I need to get out and catch something...
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Terry there are areas down on that lake where you feel incredibly isolated from the world, even though you see civilization in the photos you sure don't see it when you are in a boat.
Sometimes sitting back in a cove the silence can be almost unnerving. You can hear an animal creeping through the woods, but what is even more disturbing is when the banjo plays. Damn that infernal banjo! :lol:

But seriously they have a fiddle festival every year down on the lake and it is really a blast. To some it may be too "hillbilly" but let me tell you it's a great time watching and listening to people compete on the fiddle. There is a certain feeling in the air being down in the Ozark hills by the water during this event. As night time comes quick down there and the fog gently rolls in across the water and nothing but trees and hills surrounding you it's a site to behold.
The event is held down in a holler (of course every damn thing in the Ozarks is in a holler) down by the water and this particular spot is narrow and the area across from you is a steep heavily wooded area and just a hundred feet or so from the lights and action and provides an awesome back drop.
Another kind of spooky thing is that up behind you is a lit back street a little off the tourist area and you wander off just a couple hundred feet and disappear in the trees.
This is handy when you have had a few beers and need to take care of business.
If you have ever seen Burt Reynolds in Deliverance and you think the characters were realistic...they were but down here you can see individuals that i have no words to describe. Not skinny underfed toothless hill folk but great big almost handsome dudes with Amish-looking hats, dirty Big Smith overalls and handmade logging boots. They always stand in the shadows and watch the city folk from a distance.
I'm a big dude but these guys give me the creeps because you can see a lot is going on behind those dark eyes, usually hidden from the brim of their hat.

A toothless, skinny under-nourished, illiterate jack-ass does not scare me but a 6' 5" quiet, good looking dude with hands the size of a dinner plate and encrusted with years of Massey Ferguson tractor oil and pig blood makes me wonder just who or what he keeps in his cellar.
And there are a bunch of these folk down in them-thar hills. 8)
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I go fishing in the near by lakes 40+ times a year......They stocked trout already last week and I got a few. I will be headed out several times this month!
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

IMG_1364.JPG
IMG_1364.JPG (150.46 KiB) Viewed 12233 times
IMG_1443.JPG
IMG_1443.JPG (144.08 KiB) Viewed 12233 times
IMG_1442.JPG
IMG_1442.JPG (140.72 KiB) Viewed 12233 times
A few of the lakes offerings....Trout, Bluegills and Black Crappies
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Mmmm...fry me up a mess of those gills and crappie!
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Sure I will put them on the barb...lol
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Tom19176 wrote:Sure I will put them on the barb...lol
I agree with Terry, those are three of my favorites but throw in a fat walleye and we got ourselves a fish fry.
People underestimate the power of a blue gill, exquisite taste but ya need a mess ov'em to make a meal.

Thanks Tom for sharing your pics, it has inspired me to pick up my old 33 and get busy.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

LAst week I hit the lake and got sunked on trout but got over 100 bluegills! I did catch and release that day, as they were in prespawn. The steam that feed the lake had well over 1,000 bluegills swiming in it! I used wax worms for about 40 of them then switched to the mini trout magnet in white, and got one on every cast!
dabron3

Post by dabron3 »

I like using mini trout magnet also especially if I have no real worms.