TYPHOON project

This area is dedicated to balisong (also known as butterfly) knives, and to the fine art of using them.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
rapidboy1

TYPHOON project

Post by rapidboy1 »

I had a problem with my original TYPHOON kit (lack of squeeze) and Darrell Ralph very kindly sent me a replacement so i decided to make the original one latchless (squeeze then not a problem) and also to play around with the handles.

I used the TYPHOON template and after about an hour at the bench drill i think it came out quite well.
The slow bit was deburring and cleaning cutting paste out from all the small holes.
It actually reduces the weight quite a bit and more importantly gives a lot more grip.

The "wings" (sorry i don't know the correct terminology) had to go cus they cut the shit out of your hand when flippin (really nasty nips) so i ground them off and it makes it a lot sweeter to swing.

Still a lot of final finishing and polishing to do.

Having never owned a balisong before i was quite impressed at the design ,its really quite a useful blade ,not as good as my Kershaw as an EDC but a credible "user" none the less.
This is a pretty good knife regardless of it being a kit or a balisong.

I was wondering how the TYPHOON's compare to the other balisongs out there.
Where does spending more money on say a BM make a difference ? ,blade steel ? ,balance ? ,fit and finish ?

I think i will try a "Milled" handle version some time ,anyone else got pic's of of their project's ?

Cheers
rapidboy
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

awesome job.
looks like you really worked hard to get it the way you want it.

As far as where does the price of a bm come in and how does it compare.
Well, the blade steel is a factor, and then there is also the overall fit and finish is just a bit better. Before the prices of the BMs went up, I woulda told you to get one, but now you can get 2 typhoons for the price of a BM...
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
HTMLBali

Post by HTMLBali »

very nice work rapid......

Not to dis your work in any way, but I can see the handle/blade weight ratio becoming a problem......Also it might have been a wiser decision to find a way to smooth out the tang, or "wings" as you called them, instead of taking them off. I know in some tricks the tang can come in handy for marks, spin, or even grip.......

Just my opinion though

Although very nice work.......
rapidboy1

Post by rapidboy1 »

The handles are still pretty heavy and the grip has improved so much over the original (i lost it a few times with the plain handle version and fucked up my woman's wooden floor :oops: ).
Removing the tang was inspired by FivePointOhh's Project 43 thread.
I havn't got into any serious manipulation so a lack of tang it's not a problem yet but i still have a "stock" version.
I may dull the blade on that one and give some fancy flippin it a try.
Any advice on where to learn some moves?
stepdaddy

Post by stepdaddy »

Well I guess since my Typhoon is still apart in the box it came in I shouldn't get into it to much but: First let me state the BM handles are Ti and the Typhoon are SS. I think the Ti cost a little more. The fit and finish on the BM's is top of the line for a Production co. The customer support is also awesome. Dollar for Dollar the BM is a great choice. With this said from the reviews I've heard the Typhoon isn't a bad choice and if assembled correctly with the Bronze washers the Typhoon is a great entry level flipper for the money.

Last I would've advised one to round off the tang and not remove them alltogether. But other then rolls I guess it's up to the owner. Enjoy your knife and when ya get enough money to add another consider a BM and let us know what ya think.

SD
HTMLBali

Post by HTMLBali »

I do agree with you rapid that the skeletonized handles make grip much better.......Although its not always grip ya want for those fast moving high flying moves :twisted:

Do not fret......use what you have to learn and become better.....then do like everyone else....break down and buy a BM :D