Balisong-Bites, Anyone?

This area is dedicated to balisong (also known as butterfly) knives, and to the fine art of using them.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
CDR_Glock

Balisong-Bites, Anyone?

Post by CDR_Glock »

Flipping my sharpest knife, the Balibalistic.  I didn't notice I was bleeding on my index until I got careless and it bit my thumb.

JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Re: Balisong-Bites, Anyone?

Post by JerrBear »

Looks like "somebody" needs a trainer... :P HO! HO! :P
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

I once gave my self 4 evulsions on my pinky finger before noticing it. (I had accidentally let the blade come across it while opening (this was when I first started learning to flip a balisong))
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
Scruffy

Post by Scruffy »

Tape a blade..Save a finger! :roll:
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

I used to do that, but I'm of the "train with a real blade, learn to respect it" camp, "Pain is the best teacher of all".
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
CDR_Glock

Post by CDR_Glock »

JerrBear wrote:Looks like "somebody" needs a trainer... :P HO! HO! :P
Haha!

I get cut daily. That is not stopping me. It's almost healed, now. I was flipping my 43, then my Matt Cook, then my 47, then the Balibalistic. The Balibalistic is fast from IKBS. Timing was off by a fraction of a second in favor of the knife. It just has so much momentum.

I have 50 knives, 3 trainers.

Cuts happen. If they don't happen to a flipper, then the flipper is not doing complex moves.
CDR_Glock

Post by CDR_Glock »

Scruffy wrote:Tape a blade..Save a finger! :roll:
I carry my 40TR Benchmade everywhere. I even flip when driving, to the music.

Don't need tape.

Cuts happen. Most are superficial. None of mine are that bad. 90% of my cuts I do not notice until I start feeling the handles stick to my fingers from the bleeding.
Scruffy

Post by Scruffy »

I bought my first Bali in the early 80's it was a PC with the carbon utility blade. I also bought the first book that I think Jeff (can't remember the last name) wrote on them. Its was the only book out at the time. That book was more less a self defence with a Bali book. That Bali was my EDC for years. Back then I bought about 5 of the org. PC's that looked like the old Jag's prob the international series for 19 bucks each hahaha (still have one in the box) and gave them away. Many of my friends had cut fingers needless to say. After all this time if I was to try one of those YouTube moves it would be with a taped blade but thats just me :D
Keep Flipping everyone
CDR_Glock

Post by CDR_Glock »

Scruffy wrote:I bought my first Bali in the early 80's it was a PC with the carbon utility blade. I also bought the first book that I think Jeff (can't remember the last name) wrote on them. Its was the only book out at the time. That book was more less a self defence with a Bali book. That Bali was my EDC for years. Back then I bought about 5 of the org. PC's that looked like the old Jag's prob the international series for 19 bucks each hahaha (still have one in the box) and gave them away. Many of my friends had cut fingers needless to say. After all this time if I was to try one of those YouTube moves it would be with a taped blade but thats just me :D
Keep Flipping everyone
Jeff Imada. He made 2 books and a video.

There is a great compilation of lessons here:

http://web.archive.org/web/200711121618 ... niques.htm

Combos, rollovers and aerials are intermediate moves.
VB2010MASTER

Post by VB2010MASTER »

It might also seem wise to put some patches on your fingers before training.
That way you are able to avoid cuts.
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

90% of my cuts I do not notice until I start feeling the handles stick to my fingers from the bleeding.
Same here, that or because they start to sting later. (I actually find my self bruising my fingers more often than cutting them).
It might also seem wise to put some patches on your fingers before training.
I think that might interfere with the ability to manipulate the blade.
CDR_Glock

Post by CDR_Glock »

VB2010MASTER wrote:It might also seem wise to put some patches on your fingers before training.
If it limits flexibility and range of motion of the fingers, it will lead to cuts.

I used to flip with a golf glove until I decided to use my trainer.

However, most of my flipping is with a live blade.
jimbeam

Post by jimbeam »

CDR_Glock wrote:
JerrBear wrote:Looks like "somebody" needs a trainer... :P HO! HO! :P
Haha!

I get cut daily. That is not stopping me. It's almost healed, now. I was flipping my 43, then my Matt Cook, then my 47, then the Balibalistic. The Balibalistic is fast from IKBS. Timing was off by a fraction of a second in favor of the knife. It just has so much momentum.

I have 50 knives, 3 trainers.

Cuts happen. If they don't happen to a flipper, then the flipper is not doing complex moves.
Do you have any idea how weird this post may sound to a lot of people. I am a big fan of knives in general but to me butterflies/balisongs are not knives. They are farm tools at best and oddities least of all. Just my opinion. But then again I am not a 'cutter' so I can't relate to cutting myself intentionally several times a week. As I said: just my opinion.
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

I dont flip with the intent to wind up cut, and I try to avoid it. But, if I do wind up cutting myself, well that the price I pay. And, I'll be sure not to do it again.
CDR_Glock

Post by CDR_Glock »

Cuts are not intentional. They just happen. They are superficial for the most part. They can happen any time that the grip is lightened to flip them.