NTD: Nathan Dewey Titanium Scimitar

This area is dedicated to balisong (also known as butterfly) knives, and to the fine art of using them.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
CDR_Glock

NTD: Nathan Dewey Titanium Scimitar

Post by CDR_Glock »

Nathan Dewey is a Balisong knifemaker who is relatively new to the field. I was impressed by his Jerzee Devil Balisong Build Off Balisong entries.

I asked if he could make me a scimitar-bladed, sandwich-style Balisong with contoured solid titanium scales and a spring latch.

The dimensions:10" open, 6 1/4" closed, and a 4" blade

Here is his concept photo:

Blade photo:

Blade after tang pins:

Liner:

Gold Titanium scales:

Knife with spring latch:

I'll update you when I receive it. I'm looking forward to receiving and trying it. I like trying out work from new knifemakers, and I like American ingenuity. We all keep clamoring for a new Balisong to take the place of the Benchmade 42. We all look at the Kimura by Bradley. By supporting the knifemakers, I forsee a rapid explosion of various Balisongs that will keep us, as enthusiasts, eager for more!

Nathan has a lot of heart and determination to succeed as a knifemaker.

Great job, Nathan!
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Re: NTD: Nathan Dewey Titanium Scimitar

Post by JerrBear »

Waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy 8) COOLNESS 8) Mr. CDR_Glock!
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

8)
panner

Post by panner »

:) :!: Don't know too much about Bali's,but from the looks of this one and the others you have posted you have one outstanding collection 8) :!:
EVERY MAN DIES : NOT EVERY MAN REALLY LIVES.
CDR_Glock

Post by CDR_Glock »

panner wrote::) :!: Don't know too much about Bali's,but from the looks of this one and the others you have posted you have one outstanding collection 8) :!:
Thank you. I have a few goodies.

I just listed a few for sale but I am withdrawing the DDR. I may withdraw the rest.
CDR_Glock

Post by CDR_Glock »

When I opened the package, Nathan packed with it a million dollar bill. It was fake but it was cool. There is a note stating that he crafted the knife which adds a nice personal touch.

The knife by dimensions is massive. It is a sandwich style Balisong with steel liners and gold anodized titanium scales. The knife is outfitted with a spring latch. The handles are big and with the contours, it is a good knife for EDC. The handles are wide but I think it was designed that way to accommodate for the Scimitar blade that he designed. The blade is sharp. Inscribed on one end is his initials and the other, a birthdate of 2/14/11: it could be called a "Bloody Valentine" knife but he recommended calling it "The Cutlass" since it was reminiscent of a pirate's sword.

The spring latch is sturdy and works well out of the box.

The biggest question: So how does it flip. It took a few tries to do one handed openings and rollovers, given the width, but it's surprisingly smooth for such a big knife. It also has a moderate tolerance with only a little play (less so on the safe handle). I'm a proud owner of a one of a kind Nathan Dewey: NTD (his initials) Scimitar.

As a flipper it's well made. It's size is more suitable for a utility knife for everyday carry.

This is a wonderful prototype knife that will one day be a part of Balisong history.

Over the next few posts, I will upload photos of the NTD next to some of my bigger Balisongs, the Dalton Scourge and MD Caldwell, as well as the venerable BM 42.

Next to a 42:

Next to a Dalton scourge:

Next to an MD Caldwell: