Cold Steel Arc Angel: Underrated

This area is dedicated to balisong (also known as butterfly) knives, and to the fine art of using them.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
CDR_Glock

Cold Steel Arc Angel: Underrated

Post by CDR_Glock »

This is a knife that had a short run. There are not as many of these, as there are 42s. If given the opportunity, get one.

It is a light flipper with a T-latch. The handles have long slots. They are extremely sharp knives and I like the blade profile. Weighing a little more than a Morpho 51, it's a forgiving knife as a flipper. When I first got it, I locktite the torx screws and oil the hinges.

I prefer them over a 4x for flipping. Personal preference.

I will likely Get this anodized in Gold or Bronze.
Viking45

Re: Cold Steel Arc Angel: Underrated

Post by Viking45 »

That's one cool Bali,my favorite blade grind,how long is the blade on that one?
CDR_Glock

Post by CDR_Glock »

Viking45 wrote:That's one cool Bali,my favorite blade grind,how long is the blade on that one?
4 1/4"

I reversed the blade so now it's a Manila latch.
Chrisadamley

Post by Chrisadamley »

So just to keep in the back of my mind, what would you suggest a fair price on these today is?

Would like to know so if i ever see one for sale, or somebody has, i can make an offer and be fair but still get a good deal.
CDR_Glock

Post by CDR_Glock »

Chrisadamley wrote:So just to keep in the back of my mind, what would you suggest a fair price on these today is?

Would like to know so if i ever see one for sale, or somebody has, i can make an offer and be fair but still get a good deal.
$350-$375 is what these go for nowadays.

The double edge, spear and wide point go for $425-$450.

A fair price is closer towards the lower end of the scale.
Chrisadamley

Post by Chrisadamley »

Wow thats crazy for Cold Steel. Usually you think of cheaper/more affordable stuff with them. Guess whenever stuff goes out of production then price gets jacked!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

CDR_Glock wrote:
Chrisadamley wrote:So just to keep in the back of my mind, what would you suggest a fair price on these today is?

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
When they were discontinued, they were WAY under a $100 :shock: :shock:
$350 is just nuts :!: :!: :!:
I guess I should have bought a few at closeout :idea:
CDR_Glock

Post by CDR_Glock »

Vagrant wrote:
CDR_Glock wrote:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
When they were discontinued, they were WAY under a $100 :shock: :shock:
$350 is just nuts :!: :!: :!:
I guess I should have bought a few at closeout :idea:
I don't know when they were discontinued. I only got into Balisongs since July last year. Everything was discontinued except the Mayhem, Kimura, Morpho's and CCCs.
navajo

Post by navajo »

If folks find those and buy them, keep in mind they all have carbon steel blades and will rust if stared at too hard. Its 1095 steel and great blade steel but it will rust. Cold Steel called it Carbon V.
CDR_Glock

Post by CDR_Glock »

navajo wrote:If folks find those and buy them, keep in mind they all have carbon steel blades and will rust if stared at too hard. Its 1095 steel and great blade steel but it will rust. Cold Steel called it Carbon V.
I have one coated with TiNi so it is rust resistant. The other is not coated and I oil it regularly.
FastWin23

Post by FastWin23 »

Great one mate. I have something like this on my high school days and unfortunately I lost it when we gone to camping.
turbo_dog

Post by turbo_dog »

I think Carbon V blades were made by Camillus for Cold Steel. I've heard it's a great steel, but I don't think I've owned one. Unless it's the same as other Camillus blades. I've owned several of them and liked them all.

If that's the case, does that mean this balisong was made by Camillus? Or just the blade? I was under the impression that Cold Steel only commissions other companies to make their complete knives, not to commission pieces and have them assembled elsewhere. If so, is that one of the reasons it's more valuable? I didn't know that Camillus had made balisongs, but I don't know much about balisongs.

I do know that's a good looking one, though. 8)