Balis And Bearings

This area is dedicated to balisong (also known as butterfly) knives, and to the fine art of using them.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
CDR_Glock

Balis And Bearings

Post by CDR_Glock »

There is a big controversy on what is better. Unfortunately, no same exact balisong that I know of has the option for bushings or bearings. If there is, let me know, since I'll buy one of each. With that being said, I have 3 Balisongs that have bearings. One is a DDR with Max Glide and the other is IKBS. I don't know how much of a premium IKBS or DDR puts on a knife.

The designs and weights are different. There is no direct comparison. The DDR is shorter in the handles than a 42, and feels just a shy lighter than a 42. The Brian H/Warren Thomas is lighter (due to titanium handles and a titanium blade), weighing like a 51. The Green Goblin is a massive 9-10 oz steel with IKBS.

Big knives NEED bearings IMO. They will allow for smoother play in a heavier knife or a blade heavy knife. The Goblin is SCHMOOOOOOOOTH! It is from another planet.

The Warren Thomas is a touch too light to need bearings. It probably could have easily done with bushings just the same. Probably overkill, but a knife with carbon fiber bonded to titanium handles is a space aged knife and it's part of DaPackage.

The DDR is a Bad Ass Knife. Smooth as silk and the weighting of the knife with the bearings are complementary. So far, for system, this baby wins the prize for smooth, fast action. It is the closest weighted knife I have to a 42. It is a thinner handle, though.

To me, DDR is just FAST. No friction whatsoever. The IKBS is smooth but Only just as fast as the BEST bushing systems around.

So if anyone has the inkling to put bearings in a 42, I'll be your first customer. I'd love to see it done. I like the action of DDR over IKBS. But I would try either.

What's your take on it?