Question about old cheap bali paint

This area is dedicated to balisong (also known as butterfly) knives, and to the fine art of using them.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
KMNREMTP

Question about old cheap bali paint

Post by KMNREMTP »

I'm sure plenty of you have had an old cheap China made Balisong. I have flipped mine til the paint has worn off (this is usually when I lose them). I would like to revive my knife by putting some new paint on there. Any advice would be much appreciated. I also have no clue how to remove the rivets and put them back? Should I use screws? Where can i get these supplies?
CDR_Glock

Re: Question about old cheap bali paint

Post by CDR_Glock »

CCCs most likely use
Torx screws.

They may be press fit. In that case, it's harder to disassemble unless you have the right tools.

I am impressed the knife outlasted the paint. Mine all cracked in 2 weeks. They use powdercoat method.
KMNREMTP

Post by KMNREMTP »

I was impressed as well. on my first, the rivets popped out n i replaced them with nails. second rivets were replaced with pieces of a clothes hanger. the rivets never fell outta this one, and both handles are almost paint free.... so i can't paint them with some kinda hobby paint without messin up the texture? also, it does not have torx screws but i've seen a lot of ppl use them, where can i get some from? hardware store? wally world?
CDR_Glock

Post by CDR_Glock »

You can buy torx screws online.

If these things (paint and screws) are readily available, then by all means restore it. However, given than CCCs are only $16-20 it may be a better use of time to buy a new one. Just a thought.
KMNREMTP

Post by KMNREMTP »

I have a coupla new ones, but I REALLY like flippin this one that aint got no paint left..... ever been attracted to garbage? i think that's what the problem is. I just wanna do it for experience mainly.