Philipines & Balisongs

This area is dedicated to balisong (also known as butterfly) knives, and to the fine art of using them.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
catavengercaptain

Philipines & Balisongs

Post by catavengercaptain »

I was talking to my brother-in-law who is ex-Navy and has been to the Philippines, about balisong knives. This knife (banned many places in our "free" U.S.A.) is commonly carried by most men and lots of women as well, in the Philipines. He also said that things are so violent in the Philippines that a person REALLY needs something to defend themself with there. He said that the government doesn't even bother with murder statistics. He had a story about the sailors being confined to base because one of the sailors has been found dead. The organized crime he had angered there had tied him up and put a sack containing rats over his head.Much as I like those knives I doubt if I would want to visit the P.I. to pick one up! :shock:
harimau

Re: Philipines & Balisongs

Post by harimau »

You don't have to: http://www.pinoysteel.com :)
Shag

Post by Shag »

The balisong knives have also been used for centuries there as their original intended use; a general purpose utility and working knife. Men and women alike carried them for yard and garden work, kitchen duties, general multi-purpose usage.

Also, it all depends on where in the P.I. you are - Manila is akin to a step just above Hell, whereas other areas such as Cebu have almost no issues with violence.
Albert Einstein: “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.”
harimau

Post by harimau »

Balisongs are virtually illegal to sell and possess in the Philippines--if you get caught with one at the airport, there's a very good chance they'll seize it and harrass you for it. Crime is rampant in much of the Philippines, and Cebu is no walk in the park. There is a town on Cebu where guns are made in backyards for ridiculously low prices, and there are towns just like Danao all over the Philippines. I was in Cebu a few weeks ago and I saw a necklace get snatched by a meth head in broad daylight....he was maybe 14 or 15 years old. He was gone in a flash.
CDR_Glock

Post by CDR_Glock »

harimau wrote:You don't have to: http://www.pinoysteel.com
Great site!
CDR_Glock

Post by CDR_Glock »

Here is my Kris!

harimau

Post by harimau »