Jaguar M4

This area is dedicated to balisong (also known as butterfly) knives, and to the fine art of using them.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
stepdaddy

Jaguar M4

Post by stepdaddy »

Was just wondering how much work would be involved to sharpen the false edge on the Jaguar M4. Has any one ever done it how did it come out.

SD
Last edited by stepdaddy on Thu May 01, 2003 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

Dunno, it's only 420 steel so it shouldn't be hard.
tonyccw

Post by tonyccw »

Pretty easy. About 45 minutes to an hour of elbow grease. Not worthwhile though. The handles would more likely fall apart before the edge got dull. Seriously...
Bali's: one of life's simple pleasures.
stepdaddy

Post by stepdaddy »

I dunno why everyone is so down on the M4. I think it's a great knife for the $25.00 I put out for mine. It's my most flipped knife and I think it's far superior to any other low budget Bali. If it was crafted any better it wouldn't be a low dollar bali. I use mine for everything I'm afraid to do with my Benchmade. If I want BM quality I know I have to pay BM prices. But for $25.00 my Jaguar gets thrown around and flipped like hell. For all the hype over the new Cheetah it is still a low dollar bali and I think the Jaguar has it beat. Others might have thier own opinion but I really enjoy flipping the M4.

SD
tonyccw

Post by tonyccw »

SD: My M4's handles started flaking after only a week's work of use, got so bad I had to take a flap wheel to it so I don't get pieces of the chrome coating stuck into my skin. The pivots refuse to stay tight even after several attempts at applying loctite. Worse yet is I actually fractured one of the handles at the pivot when I was doing a pivot adjustment. And finally, tried to keep an edge on it, but the 420 steel is barely servicable as a using steel.
Bali's: one of life's simple pleasures.
Ronin

I found a good use for my JAG m4

Post by Ronin »

StepDaddy,

I had most of the problems that tonyccw had. However, I did get my money's worth out of my M4 ! I've been using it for gardening! It's great for digging little holes so that I can plant seeds, break up root balls, and punch drainage holes in starter pots. It's as loose as a tippsy goose, but still going strong. 'Hope to have tomatos soon.
"Seven times down Eight times up!"

Soke Shogo Kuniba (Rest in Peace)
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

hey mr ronin,

my old wobbly herbertz is used as a prytool/screw driver at work - plus, when my hands are free, i can practice.

it's been dropped on concrete so many times, i can't close the latch, unless i hit it with a file :D
ExamonLyf

As Tony menitoned...

Post by ExamonLyf »

I really wouldn't waste the 30-60 minutes it takes to sharpen the swedge on the M4.

I had the same basic stuff happen Tony mentioned.., and absolutely zero luck doing any pivot adjustments that did any good.

A true piece of junk...., but sort of what we expected. I have to admit the M4 did surpass my expectations for "POS of the Year" though, I thought it would be a little better....

It may be a tough match-up with the M4 & Cheetah for final honors, but I'll hold off on that until I see the Gen 2 Cheetahs. Gen I is right in there with the M4....lol....but at least it's much heavier and swings well until self-destructing :roll:
Pete Johnston

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"