Shrinking buffalo horn scales

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Shrinking buffalo horn scales

Post by tr4252 »

Hi Bill,

I could use some advice on the properties of buffalo horn. I made a set of scales out of some dark horn I bought from Texas Knifemakers Supply, and they turned out pretty good. It's the first time I've used this material, and had no problems shaping and finishing it. After about 2 months, I've noticed that the scales seem to be shrinking a bit. Not a lot, but enough to be seen when looking close.

Is there some way I can prevent this from happening in the future, the next time I use horn to make a set of scales? It's the black with white streaks variety, by the way.

Also, can something be done to the ones I've already made, to get them back to the original dimensions?

Tom
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Horn is strange material. Glycerine might help. I have no problems with any of mine, so WD40 may help-I have used it extensively. The fabled "mineral oil soak" could possibly help, but WD40 should penetrate better.
Bill