Nickel silver

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Nickel silver

Post by tr4252 »

Hi Bill,

I recently bought some nickel silver, from TKS, and though it is considerably more silvery-looking than brass, there's still a yellowish tint to the color. I used it anyway, as seen in my latest submission. OK, I know what goes into the recipe, and the copper would have to influence the color, but the appearance of the nickel silver on the Leverletto is what got me off on this tangent in the first place, and I'm looking for something that looks, well, silver, not like a light brass. The more copper in the alloy, the more it seems to tarnish too. I once hammered a Canadian nickel down and used it in a rifle inlay about 20+ years ago, and it's still bright; that's the kind of material I'm looking for. Can you recommend an alloy type to look for, and possibly some sources, maybe in .187" thickness?

TomR
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The only things that do not tarnish are nickel, stainless, and gold.
Most NS is 18% nickel, and looks pretty bright, and doesn't tarnish too easily. The 300 series stainless holds up pretty well. Nickel is not malleable, therefore very hard to work.
Bill
Cigarman

Post by Cigarman »

I have a few knives with nickel silver bolsters that have been sitting around for a year or so and have noticed that it does yellow a bit with time. A few of my more recent knives have 416 SS bolsters. It's not as soft as Nickel and alot less gummy. Takes a mirror finish real nice. Most of the knife supply houses sell it. I am surprised that more people don't use it on their custom switches.

Bill
tr4252

Post by tr4252 »

Thanks, to you both.

I considered stainless for the next project, but know that it will prove more difficult to machine; the brass and nickel silver that I've been using is pretty easy going stuff. I'm also considering aluminum, a 6000 or 7000 series. Stainless would have the look I'm after though.

Appreciate your advice.

TomR
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Stainless isn't too bad to work, but it is harder than NS.
Bill
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

i'm just getting around to using some cast NS bolsters i got from nemo last year - and they look just like brass, until you hit em with some sandpaper...
tr4252

Post by tr4252 »

Thank you all for the comments. Today I ordered some 303 stainless and some 7075 aluminum, enough for 2 knives each, if I don't screw anything up.

Looking at the nickel silver and brass knives side by side, I can see quite a difference, but had been hoping for a purely silver-looking material, so now the s.s. and/or aluminum will be used for the next knife(s).

I know Nifmakr uses 7075 sometimes, he gets a really nice looking finish, so I guess an aluminum stiletto won't look completely stupid if I get it right. The stainless seems like it'll look best, at this point.

thanks again,
TomR